[Technology] NASA Perseverance Mars Landing!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
They just ended with youngblud doing Bowie and then randomly showed a tweet from Rick Astley.

Why Rick Astley?

Brian May, he’s got a PhD in astrophysics...

What’s Astley got that gets him on the closing credits of one of the greatest space exploration moments of all time?

I think it might have been a case of the NASA website crew having a bit of a laugh by sneaking in a variation of the phenomenon known as "Rickrolling".

A true "Rickroll" would have seen them play the video to "Never Gonna Give You Up" instead of Yungblud's cover of "Life on Mars", but they probably realised it would be taking the joke a little too far, so the Astley tweet was probably the next best thing that they thought they could get away with.

I can't think of any other reason why they would have used the solitary tweet by Rick Astley over anybody else other than it being NASA's nod to Rickrolling.

"Rickrolling" started around 2008 and involves the unexpected appearance of the video to "Never Gonna Give You Up" at various events and on the internet.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickrolling

Edit: It appears that there are others who share my theory...

Screenshot_2021-02-19-13-27-40.png

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
NASA are hoping to get the HD videos of the landing (with sound) soon. This will be the first video of a spade craft landing on another planet. I can’t wait.

Hopefully, it won't be a case of: "Hoeston, we have a problem"

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1362814591940648960[/TWEET]

May 5, 2020
Sussex
[TWEET]1362814591940648960[/TWEET]

I think that's old footage from another rover.
The tyre tracks go quite away into the distance and I don't think Perceverance has moved yet.
Also the tyre treads don't look the same.
I thought there would be couple of weeks commissioning before we see footage like that.
And I would have thought they would have shown it at the press conference earlier.
I could be wrong though,you never know what NASA are actually doing at times.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Staying away from chocolate for a minute and to be serious, can they swing the camera round and show Earth from Mars like we can see Mars from Earth, as I have no idea about this sort of thing.
Are there any temperature readings, atmosphere readings (oxygen, nitrogen etc) gravity.
This stuff is probably already known but because of this I am now very interested in what Mars is like.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Staying away from chocolate for a minute and to be serious, can they swing the camera round and show Earth from Mars like we can see Mars from Earth, as I have no idea about this sort of thing.
Are there any temperature readings, atmosphere readings (oxygen, nitrogen etc) gravity.
This stuff is probably already known but because of this I am now very interested in what Mars is like.

Its cold as **** and they (who?) only have a little bit of oxygen over there. Its a shite planet.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Staying away from chocolate for a minute and to be serious, can they swing the camera round and show Earth from Mars like we can see Mars from Earth, as I have no idea about this sort of thing. This stuff is probably already known but because of this I am now very interested in what Mars is like.

It's a layer of caramel on a malty nougat base, encased in milk chocolate.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports