Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Name Three Teams That Will Struggle

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Newcastle will be fine I think. Ashley, for all his many, many flaws, does spend money on players even if it is also reinvestment. Bruce also isn't the shambles of a manage they like to make him out to be up there. They're not great, but I think they'll stay up

Crystal Palace will go one of two ways. They have the experience in the squad to stay up if they retain some players and invest wisely. If they get the wrong manager in, I think they'll be in real danger. Is Lampard the right man to survive a relegation fight if results turn? No one knows really

Aston Villa - Grealish holds that team together and if he goes, they could be in real trouble. Their form without him is terrible but if they replace him sensibly, they'll be good

Leeds - If they keep Phillips, they'll be fine. If Bamford continues his form, they'll be fine. If they keep Harrison, they'll be fine. But that's a lot of "ifs" and there are a lot of similarities between them and Sheffield United.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
As always, City, Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool will be fine

Could make a case for the other 16 having issues for one reason or another, and that is why the Premier League is one of the most competitive in Europe.

Hoping that Leicester can continue their progression, but Vardy is no spring-chicken and Europe will take its toll on the squad
Arsenal are a basket case at the moment, not convinced by Arteta by any stretch, loads of recruitment needed
Spurs - Another basket case - manager appointment is crucial, and replacement for Kane if he leaves
West Ham - How damaging will Europe be?
Everton - spent big last summer to make little progress , doubt they will get another pot of money this summer with the new ground about to be started
Leeds - will Bielsa stay, can he do the same again when key players return to their parent clubs
Villa - reliant on one player who looks like he might be on his way
Wolves - Nuno under pressure, again spent a lot and went backwards - will need Jiminez back, but could he be off elsewhere, ideal replacement for Kane
Palace - Roy leaving, massive re-build job needed - rumour 50m to spend which is pittance.
Saints - Ings, Ward-Prowse likely to get picked off by other clubs, otherwise average side
Burnley - Will the new owners want a change of philosophy and if they do will Dyche pay the price
Newcastle - a disaster area, can't see ASM being there after this summer

If I have to pick 3
Palace - too much work needed
Villa - average without Grealish
Wolves - can see an exodus of good players and manager leaving too

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
City only won 3 of their first 8 games and were languishing in 13th by late November. I'd say West Ham did a LOT better than expected too - I thought they'd be in the relegation mix, or at least only just above it. I can't imagine (m)any people thought they would be in with a sniff of champions league with a handful of games to go. I haven't looked, but I suspect West Ham will win the handicap league title with most if not all bookies (I doubt they'll be paying much out other than to a handful of very optimistic hammers)

Bang on with the rest of it though.

OK, fair enough. City were slow out of the blocks but then so were Man Utd, and once Liverpool lost VVD and Frank started to lose the plot at Chelsea - for me - there was only going to be one winner. Would anyone have backed against them at any stage?

Their squad is amazing, they have the experience and the winning mentality. They're 13 points ahead now and can focus purely on the Champions League final. We're very lucky to be playing them tonight if - indeed - there is ever a good time to be playing City.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Leeds, Burnley, Palace.

Not convinced re Leeds but feel that their run-around-now like a bunch of school kids will be sussed out by more teams than Brighton next year.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
As for us and if we'll struggle.... if we keep our best assets (Bissouma, White, Dunk etc), sign up Danny Welbeck for another season, and sign a new strike partner for him, then we'll 100% be set for our first season of calm mid table mediocrity. But I doubt all those things will happen. Chances are we'll lose 1 of our best assets, or we wont sign a new striker so it could be another season of drama.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Newcastle will be fine I think. Ashley, for all his many, many flaws, does spend money on players even if it is also reinvestment. Bruce also isn't the shambles of a manage they like to make him out to be up there. They're not great, but I think they'll stay up

Crystal Palace will go one of two ways. They have the experience in the squad to stay up if they retain some players and invest wisely. If they get the wrong manager in, I think they'll be in real danger. Is Lampard the right man to survive a relegation fight if results turn? No one knows really

Aston Villa - Grealish holds that team together and if he goes, they could be in real trouble. Their form without him is terrible but if they replace him sensibly, they'll be good

Leeds - If they keep Phillips, they'll be fine. If Bamford continues his form, they'll be fine. If they keep Harrison, they'll be fine. But that's a lot of "ifs" and there are a lot of similarities between them and Sheffield United.

I agree with all of this - I could have written these exact words.

A few more: I don't think West Ham will struggle - they won't be competing for the CL but they'll be comfortable top half - particularly if they buy Lingard.

I do think Southampton could be destined for the drop - their form in the second half of the season was abysmal. We know Bertrand's going: Ings probably will and maybe JWP will be snapped up. The player I like is Armstrong, he's one of those players who makes things happen. I wouldn't mind us being after him.

Some people have mentioned Arsenal. I'm not sure they're ready for the drop but things aren't good there. They won't flirt with relegation but I can see them being bottom half.

Spurs will be all right, they're going to get a shedload of money for Kane and will be able to strengthen the team. Provided they appoint a decent manager, they'll be safe

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
Surprised that Arsenal haven't been mentioned more.

Have they already cemented themselves as a lacklustre, mid-table team? Hence no expectations to live up to?

Must admit it would be fun to see them in a relegation battle...something they wouldn't have had to worry about in the Super Duper League. :lolol:

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Newcastle will be fine I think. Ashley, for all his many, many flaws, does spend money on players even if it is also reinvestment. Bruce also isn't the shambles of a manage they like to make him out to be up there. They're not great, but I think they'll stay up.

I agree. Newcastle struggled this year when they had most of their forward line injured. Once they were back they were fine.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Surprised that Arsenal haven't been mentioned more.

Have they already cemented themselves as a lacklustre, mid-table team? Hence no expectations to live up to?

Must admit it would be fun to see them in a relegation battle...something they wouldn't have had to worry about in the Super Duper League. :lolol:

The thing Arsenal have in their favour is a crop of very good young players who are improving all the time. But they will have a job attracting players. No chance of putting Euro football on the table anytime soon, so they will have to dangle even bigger salaries, which seems to have a really unsettling effect there.

Plus they are getting government backed loans. Doesn't suggest to me that the finances are healthy. Plus they will have been assuming ESL money which is now not coming

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, want Leeds to struggle and go back down.
Gobshite entitled fans can **** off back to the depths of the football league.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This season has been very predictable. From the beginning Citeh looked like Champions and Fulham, WBA and Sheff Utd (second season syndrome plus injuries) looked like prime relegation candidates.

Spurs got Spursy, Everton gave us another false dawn, we remain in bottom 6 without ever going into the bottom 3, Palace's anti-football earns them lower mid-table position.

Villa, West Ham and Leeds did a bit better than expected, Southampton, Arsenal and Wolves a bit worse, but nothing that surprising.

I don't see much changing next season. Liverpool will probably replace Leicester in the Top 4, the three coming up will all face a huge battle for survival and the three going down will dominate the Championship.

I agree.

Eventually and predictably, the cream has risen to the top.

Talk mid season of Everton, Villa, Spurs (they won 6-1 at Old Trafford & were flying) or West Ham winning the league or being certs for the CL proved premature hot air.

Whilst bottom 6 budget Burnley, Brighton, WBA, SheffU and Fulham ..... surprise, surprise .... ended up in the bottom 6.

CP, Stains and Newcastle yet again in the bottom half.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I don’t get the Newcastle nomination before City they had won three out of five have a PL goal scorer with Wilson and a tricky direct winger. All teams suffer with injuries to major players. Whatever Newcastle fans think of Ashley he invests each season Wilson would of been perfect for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here