Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Name names Deniz, name names...

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Throw in not being taken from where the ball goes out of play, but claiming half the length of the pitch, and then taking minutes to decide which team mate to throw it too – Instant yellow card Cut a little slack re gaining a couple of yards but agree about which player takes it. - OK, but when does a couple of yards become taking the p!$$?

Throwing or kicking the ball away, to gain an advantage -instant yellow card. Surey it already is! - Ref's are not consistent

Roll on roll off subs Do you mean that there is no stop in play and the substituted player leaves the field at a certain point the the sub comes on at that point? Roll on roll off subs normally means that a player subbed off can be bought back on again (well it means that in youth football and some women's leagues). - no if a player is subbed off they are not allowed to re-enter the field of play, as now, once off your off. Clearly the game would be stopped such that an injured player receives treatment, if after treatment they cannot continue then they leave the field by the shortest route (or stretcher!) (y)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The stopped clock idea is just an absolute no brainer. There is not one single reason anyone has ever put to me that gets me even close to thinking it might not work.
Stopping the clock gives the US (and then the rest of us) the perfect place to add ad breaks. Yay :cheery:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Introduction of the self-pass rule as in hockey. When a foul is committed, the player doesn't have to use the free kick to pass to another player or shoot, he can just get up and run with it (if he wants to). There is literally no downside to this.

1. It will add to the flow of the game and speed things up.
2. The defending side won't have time to gob off at the ref, they'll have to get into position immediately to defend (imagine Mitoma jumping up and running straight at them)
3. It'll reduce the play-acting if the fouled player is in a decent position and wants to take advantage of it.

Any defender who blocks or prevents the free pass from being taken gets an instant yellow.
They should trial this with the women or the U21's IMO.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Stopping the clock gives the US (and then the rest of us) the perfect place to add ad breaks. Yay :cheery:
No it doesn't. That's not how a stopped clock works. The sports you are referring to are structured completely differently which is why they have time mid-game to put ads in.

Which break in play do you think they'd implement an ad break in? And why do they not do that already If so? The clock running or not makes no difference.

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
The stopped clock idea is just an absolute no brainer. There is not one single reason anyone has ever put to me that gets me even close to thinking it might not work.
Just watch any US sport. Fouling the opposition to stop the clock, kicking it out of touch to create time for a Hail Mary punt into the box. Honestly does not bear even thinking about.
And of course while the clock is stopped plenty of time for an advert... :shootself

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No it doesn't.

Yes it does.

That's not how a stopped clock works. The sports you are referring to are structured completely differently which is why they have time mid-game to put ads in.

I was watching Canadian football and we were mid quarter and I didn't understand why play had stopped, as they were mid-drive, no timeout used. It was for a TV ad-break. If someone is wasting a bit of time in football with an injury and the clock has stopped, you can bet your ass that the Americans will try and fit an ad-break in. When play is ready to resume they'll have to hold for 10 seconds for the ad to finish.

Which break in play do you think they'd implement an ad break in? And why do they not do that already If so? The clock running or not makes no difference.
As above. People paying for their TV subscription have reason to complain if they actually miss action because of an ad-break, but if the clock is stopped, they can stop the coverage.

There are two main problems of this Villa time-wasting: 1) Reducing the amount of playing time and 2) Breaking the flow of the game. Stopping the clock could fix the first problem, but could make the second problem worse because constantly stopping play becomes accepted. The problem we have now is that some refs/organisations aren't stamping it out. The ref England had against Italy was extremely hot on anything we did that could be considered time-wasting. I think he was overzealous, but if refs were like that, teams would stop, and that fixes both problems.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Just watch any US sport. Fouling the opposition to stop the clock, kicking it out of touch to create time for a Hail Mary punt into the box. Honestly does not bear even thinking about.
And of course while the clock is stopped plenty of time for an advert... :shootself
I watch a LOT of NFL.

The things you raise don't make any sense in football. How would Fouling the oppositon to stop the clock be beneficial in football? You just let the other team keep the ball and get themselves re-organised.

Kicking it out of touch would give the ball back to the opposition so not creating this 'Hail Mary' scenario you forsee.

In NFL you get a set number of plays so you can just chuck the ball away and know you'll get another go with a stopped clock. In football the ball is given to the opposition in the scenarios you've set out. It's not the same.

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If someone is wasting a bit of time in football with an injury and the clock has stopped, you can bet your ass that the Americans will try and fit an ad-break in.
The clock running or not when a player is injured is still time of nothing happening. Why don't they try and fit in add breaks now whilst a player is injured and then ask the ref to hold off until they are back? They ask the refs to hold and hold and hold the kick off until the TV companies are ready.

Last edited:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Been saying for a couple of seasons now the fourth official or VAR should be the timekeepers, clock ticks down from 30 minutes each half

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The clock running or not when a player is injured is still time of nothing happening. Why don't they try and fit in add breaks now whilst a player is injured and then ask the ref to hold off until they are back?
They can't do that now because they'd be holding off play while the clock is going down. Obviously that can't happen.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
They can't do that now because they'd be holding off play while the clock is going down. Obviously that can't happen.
On the assumption you don't think they would be dropping ads into things like throw ins or small fouls (because that would be nuts on so many levels), the only real large break in play are injuries.

At the moment, when a physio comes on, even if they are quick, you would EASILY have 10 seconds where you could throw in a quick ad with absolutely no risk to interrupting play, yet they don't do that now, so when do you think all these ad breaks are going to be shown mid-game because of a stopped clock?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No it doesn't. That's not how a stopped clock works. The sports you are referring to are structured completely differently which is why they have time mid-game to put ads in.

once you have a stop on the clock, you can say its 5 or 10 sec minimum until you restart. i've heard this suggested anyway.

do we stop for every freekick? once the goalie catches ball? i'm not sure how much it would change anyway, most time wasting is about breaking up play, so you'll still see players trudge off, take too long to play a corner, minute setups for a freekick. i reckon we'd just end up with a lot later running games and forensic analysis of clock stopping or not, just like VAR offsides.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here