Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

n2-n-90=0

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
SPOILER BELOW

The chance of getting an orange sweet first time = 6/n where n is the total number of sweets.
Having already taken an orange sweet, the chance of getting an orange sweet next time = 5/(n-1)
The probability of both being orange sweets is one third, so 6/n x 5/(n-1) = 1/3
Or (6x5)/n(n-1) = 1/3
Then 30/(n^2-n) = 1/3
(3x30)/(n^2-n) = 1
90/(n^2-n) = 1
90=n^2-n
n^2-n-90=0

QED

n is obviously 10, but that wasn't the question.
I passed my O level maths in 1985.

Finally someone comes out with the proper answer, although people weren't helped by not being given the actual question in the original post. Of course n = 10, but as you say, that wasn't the question. As you see in these worked answers, 10 doesn't appear in any of them. Wonder how many people claiming how easy it is could actually get the full marks?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So for all the brainy people that have solved the puzzle- will it buy you a better car/house/partner :moo:

Probably given that job prospects and therefore higher income improve with educational qualifications. A failure to obtain a basic maths qualification will be a bar to many employment options.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Finally someone comes out with the proper answer, although people weren't helped by not being given the actual question in the original post. Of course n = 10, but as you say, that wasn't the question. As you see in these worked answers, 10 doesn't appear in any of them. Wonder how many people claiming how easy it is could actually get the full marks?

I think I'm living in a parallel universe!

The answer was in the original link.

Picture0001.jpg

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Is Hannah obese :moo:

I'm still trying to work out how many sweets Hannah has eaten after she caught the 12.30 from Kings Cross and arrived in Newcastle at 15.30.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
I remember looking through my old maths textbooks some time ago...i might aswell been looking at hieroglyphics. #incalculatorswetrust

Kosmonaut

Proud Hoveonian
Feb 10, 2013
Hove
The question was badly worded, it should have been worded thusly:

(a) show that this problem simplifies to the quadratic equation n^2 - n - 90 = 0

(b) calculate n

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I remember looking through my old maths textbooks some time ago...i might aswell been looking at hieroglyphics. #incalculatorswetrust

Indeed, for many a Maths oral would reflect what we are faced with in life ie standing by the counter ordering tiles sized 15ch by 9cm for a floor 4.23m by 4.75m @ £11.99 and being able to tell the assistant he is hundreds out after he taps away for minutes

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Indeed, for many a Maths oral would reflect what we are faced with in life ie standing by the counter ordering tiles sized 15ch by 9cm for a floor 4.23m by 4.75m @ £11.99 and being able to tell the assistant he is hundreds out after he taps away for minutes

Good point, in fact, just simple stuff by 2 people each naming a high 2 figure no. & seeing who can do it in their head fastest is a good way to uncover who can read & remember and who can think on their feet. Tim Vine and his family do 3x3's for fun after Xmas lunch, if you didn't know so here is today's arithmetic challenge, only head to be used no calcs, no pens, no cheating, lowest seconds/mins wins.
367 x 848 = ?

Good point, in fact, just simple stuff by 2 people each naming a high 2 figure no. & seeing who can do it in their head fastest is a good way to uncover who can read & remember and who can think on their feet. Tim Vine and his family do 3x3's for fun after Xmas lunch, if you didn't know so here is today's arithmetic challenge, only head to be used no calcs, no pens, no cheating, lowest seconds/mins wins.
367 x 848 = ?

Tim Vine's Christmas must be a bundle of fun, particularly if you consider his brother Jeremy could be there as well.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I can honestly say I would've failed to answer that correctly. Getting that n is 10 is easy enough but after that...yeah, I'd have no chance.

Happily, I've never had a need to do anything like it in the 'real' world, so I think I can accept my failure on this one.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think I'm living in a parallel universe!

The answer was in the original link.

View attachment 65872
Perhaps those in the different universe are on tapatalk, so don't generally click links as it defeats the object of being on tp ? ???

To them the thread was an equation, and the question given in the OP was to solve it.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Mrs White at Durrington was a great teacher. Buzzer and I were in the same class in 1985.

You and Buzzer were a couple of years below me then. She was my maths teacher in 83-84.
Yes she was a great teacher... I never got the hang of advanced maths though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The question was badly worded, it should have been worded thusly:

(a) show that this problem simplifies to the quadratic equation n^2 - n - 90 = 0

(b) calculate n
I actually think part b) was more difficult than part a).

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Worryingly simple :nono:

I'm doing pre-GCSE remedial maths with my year 9 granddaughter at the moment because she hasn't been taught basic number properly

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
So for all the brainy people that have solved the puzzle- will it buy you a better car/house/partner :moo:

Where n is the true percentage pay rise you gave yourself and 0 is the answer you are selling to Joe Public?

Seems to work for CallMeDave 😏

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here