MySQL - Recommendations

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
As the thread suggests, is anyone able to recommend a good place to start with regards to learning this language?

I know VB and COBOL (old school I know!), eventually I would like to do the Oracle certification but before jumping in at the deep end I'm wondering if there are some good books out there, or even websites?

Thanks! :D

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Do you mean learning SQL or MySQL? You can also get MS SQLServer Express which has, imo, an easier to use interface. Oracle do a free/express edition too as I remember.... I won't mention DB2 :D

Anyway, each version has it's own set of syntax for various specific things (many useful!) but all should support ANSI SQL which is what is portable.

VB (6) is pretty much dead or dying but shouldn't be too hard to pick up VB.Net though. As for COBOL, lol :D

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Do you mean learning SQL or MySQL? You can also get MS SQLServer Express which has, imo, an easier to use interface. Oracle do a free/express edition too as I remember.... I won't mention DB2 :D

Anyway, each version has it's own set of syntax for various specific things (many useful!) but all should support ANSI SQL which is what is portable.

VB (6) is pretty much dead or dying but shouldn't be too hard to pick up VB.Net though. As for COBOL, lol :D

Allegedly, the earlier versions of Oracle used code that was "remarkably similar" to DB2, so don't knock it.

Good COBOL programmers know how to write structured, easily maintainable, efficient code. So don't knock them either (cos I was one!).

Your points re VB6, SQL and MySQL are valid though :kiss:

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Allegedly, the earlier versions of Oracle used code that was "remarkably similar" to DB2, so don't knock it.

Good COBOL programmers know how to write structured, easily maintainable, efficient code. So don't knock them either (cos I was one!).

Your points re VB6, SQL and MySQL are valid though :kiss:

I'm not knocking DB2 (I've used it too!) but it's not what you start with (getting it installed would be a pita).

I lol at COBOL not for the language or the programmers, just that it's disappearing (I studied it a bit about 15 years ago but not had to worry about "WORKING STORAGE DIVISION" etc. since :D :D)

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Thanks chaps, it was infact SQL which I was referring to. I'm currently a BSA but having some sort of low level knowledge on fairly common programming languages always helps me, and more so the technical folks I work with.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I'm not knocking DB2 (I've used it too!) but it's not what you start with (getting it installed would be a pita).

I lol at COBOL not for the language or the programmers, just that it's disappearing (I studied it a bit about 15 years ago but not had to worry about "WORKING STORAGE DIVISION" etc. since :D :D)

I'll let you off then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports