Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My humble assesment of Mark McGhee

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I'm really starting to worry about McGhee's manageriale abilities of late. I'm not so much talking about the performances but more about what he does and says.

First of all he has two substitutions up his sleeve. Robinson on for Molango and Jones on for Jarrett. Nearly always after neither of them are having a bad game.

He then goes on to complain that we are having a lot of quality crosses going into the box and yet no one is getting on the end of them. Well if you have Knight and Robinson up front they are not likely to are they?!?!

He moans and moans about not having a target man up front. Hello, what is Molango supposed to be then?

It seems that McGhee has only one game plan. Have a target man up front along with Knight. Hoof the ball up front. Hope the target man can win it, control it and then lay off a killer pass to Knight. If this doesn't happen because he doesn't have the personel then he blames the fact that he doesn't have a target man?!?!

Have a look at your squad McGhee. They are clearly not suited to your style of play and I'm not so sure route one football is going to work in this division anyway.

He then has the nerve to start mentioning injuries!!!!!! Well once Oatway, Chippy and Roger are fit etc etc!! As Lush said last night, if that is what we are relying on then we are ion some serious trouble!! Has he even seen Roger play?

In my opinion we already have a good enough sqauad to stay up this year. He has limited resources and so I suggest he starts thinking about playing the ball through mid field a bit more and putting in some whippy balls TO FEET!

ps good to see Knight go down about 4 times like he's been shot and claiming penalties left right and centre in order to get his goal tally up!

Something needs to be done FAST but I fear that McGhee has run out of idea(s)!

and relax...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I agree with all of that except

McGhee has run out of idea(s)!

I'm not convinced he had any good ideas to start with :eek:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
zefarelly said:
I agree with all of that except

McGhee has run out of idea(s)!

I'm not convinced he had any good ideas to start with :eek:

He has one idea. The players can't dance to his tune and so were stuffed? His one attempt at trying to change the system was Plymouth. Need I say more?

Someone said it when he first took charge last season but I'd like to see him completely dismantle Micky Adams' squad now and rebuild it with his own players. We're effectively a very good Div 3 side playing in the first division, although after last nights showing can we even call ourselves that.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
My Millwall feedback when he was appointed, which I communicated to those that know me on here at the time so can't be accused of hindsight, was that McGhee was not the worst manager in the world but was not popular around the club, played people out of position, played some very strange formations not suited to the players at his disposal, made odd substitutions, and was generally miserable. His departure was hastened at the New Den after a blazing row with Neil Harris who he kept playing on the wing.

I haven't seen/heard much to disprove all that, thoiugh he needs a bit more time.

Personally I don't want to hear him sounding almost pleased with a 3-0 drubbing at Wigan. Yes, they're a good side, but losing 3-0 is not something to be proud of.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
He has never said Molango is a target man and has said he is still looking for that sort of striker.

Molango is more of a sub for Knight for suspensions and injuries.

Of course injuries are making a huge difference. The team that played last night would not have beaten City.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Yorkie said:
Molango is more of a sub for Knight for suspensions and injuries..

my little brain would suggest building a first team before thinking about spare players . . .maybe I'm wrong, I'm not Scottish afterall :rolleyes:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Yorkie said:
He has never said Molango is a target man and has said he is still looking for that sort of striker.

Molango is more of a sub for Knight for suspensions and injuries.

Of course injuries are making a huge difference. The team that played last night would not have beaten City.

What injuries are you talking about? The midfiled we have now (without Chippy IMHO) is the best we've had in ages, they proved that against Cov. The only big difference is Iwelumo. Forgive me if I'm wrong but didn't he leave right at the beginning of the summer? We've had PLENTY of time to find a replacement. Molango at over 6' is our target man.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Lammy said:
What injuries are you talking about? The midfiled we have now (without Chippy IMHO) is the best we've had in ages, they proved that against Cov. The only big difference is Iwelumo. Forgive me if I'm wrong but didn't he leave right at the beginning of the summer? We've had PLENTY of time to find a replacement. Molango at over 6' is our target man.

Molango doesn't head the ball well, he plays with his feet well, in fact better than Iwelumo.
I didn't think Iwelumo did that much apart from a cracking goal at Chesterfield and getting hacked down at Cardiff.

Injuries include Roberts, Reid and dare I say it Oatway. (cue loads of people telling me he isn't good enough)

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Yorkie said:
Molango doesn't head the ball well, he plays with his feet well, in fact better than Iwelumo.
I didn't think Iwelumo did that much apart from a cracking goal at Chesterfield and getting hacked down at Cardiff.

Injuries include Roberts, Reid and dare I say it Oatway. (cue loads of people telling me he isn't good enough)

I'm really not sure any of those injury problem would have made a difference.

As Zef said, if he's not a target man, why are we buying him? Robinson is cover for Knight. I believe McGhee brought him in as a target man but then found that he can't head a ball. bugger!

Against Coventry we played some really nice looking football. The ball was played araound on the FLOOR to FEET. The midfield were really involved in the game and were controlling things. As they should. We haven't had any inhuries since then so what's changed?

We have this nasty habit of getting sucked in to how the opposition want to play. This is evident when you play lesser opposition we resort to hoof football. Since we lost Zamora we've been crap at it. Molango and Knight have very good ball control when it is played to their feet! McGhee needs to work with that rather than moaning about players he doesn't have. That is my point.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Thoroughly agree with Yorkie. Injuries have made a big difference (as well as Knight's 3 match suspension). McGhee made it clear when he signed Molango that he was NOT a target man and that he was still looking to sign one.

We've lost 3 league games (to the top 3 in the league) and a poxy cup game and people are slating Mcghee already. Unbelievable.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Lammy said:

Against Coventry we played some really nice looking football. The ball was played araound on the FLOOR to FEET. The midfield were really involved in the game and were controlling things. As they should. We haven't had any inhuries since then so what's changed?

We've only played one game since then and for 25 mins played the best football of the season (on the floor). Our problem is confidence - the heads dropped when Rovers got an undeserved goal. People having a go at the manager and booing at the final whistle won't help.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
it does worry me slightly when he talks about needing oatway and mayo in the team. Mayo is not a left winger.

I think we look better when we try and play football, but it seems that we concentrate on stopping the opposition first before trying to score.

Lammy said:

What? The Coventry midfield took us apart in the second half. It could have been 4-0 but for Kuipers. We are without our 3 first choice centre midfielders, Chippy, Oatway (the two who ensured we are playing in this division) and Rodger. We are currently getting by on defensive fill-ins (Mayo, Hinsh) and untested, inexperienced loan players (Nicolas, who is not rising to the challenge).

Yorkie has already given you an the answer about Molango so why keep repeating your inaccurate one? When he was signed at the time, McGhee specifically said he was the same type of player as Leon and Jake, and not a replacement for Big Chris. He may be tall, but he is weak in the air. He was signed because his pace, skill and eye for goal makes up for that.

Big Chris didn't leave right at the beginning of the summer, again, why twist the facts to suit your anti-McGhee agenda? He failed to turn up for pre-season training.

McGhee has been working his balls off to find a replacement since then, sweating blood every single day. Your belitting of his efforts is unworthy.

The reason why he has not found that player is because there is very few of the quality we need prepared to play for the money our restricted playing budget can afford (Please let us not have to go into why we only have a small playing budget FFS). That's the cold, hard reality of the position that Albion finds itself in, most fans accept this.

Is McGhee going to give up? No, only whingeing short-termist fans are doing that.

McGhee will get his man, eventually, but it will take time and it may take some patience.

Do YOU have that patience?

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
people where slating Maghee long before the last 4 games, he doesnt want the team to play the way they like to, which IMHO is on the floor passing and running rings round people, it worked with the same players under Adams, Taylor and Coppell.

very basically Magoo isnt the right man to manage the players we have in the division we're in, thats not to say he can't manage a first division side, I just don't think the mix is right

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Kneon Light said:
Thoroughly agree with Yorkie. Injuries have made a big difference (as well as Knight's 3 match suspension). McGhee made it clear when he signed Molango that he was NOT a target man and that he was still looking to sign one.

We've lost 3 league games (to the top 3 in the league) and a poxy cup game and people are slating Mcghee already. Unbelievable.

Are you on drugs?

The argument that we lost three games to the top three doesn't wash anymore. We've just lost to a team TWO division below us. It wasn't a 1-0 victory where they scored a cheeky goal against the run of play either! With the exception of the first 20mins we were totally outclassed. If you think slating McGhee after 1 point from 4 games and losing to opposition two divisions below us surprising then I'll have a pint of what ever you're on.

The Sage of NSC? :lolol:

Sergi Gotsmanov

Feb 23, 2004
West of Palookaville
what a bunch of cocks.

Carling Cup... who gives a shit.

4 league games. No way we were ever going to have more than 1 point at this stage.
We will be in the bottom 6 all season. Get used to it.

MM got us here and he will keep us here.

Personally I'm enjoying being in div 1 and whatever our result just look at Bristol City and think shit that could have been us playing at some awful nothern slum.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
What? The Coventry midfield took us apart in the second half. It could have been 4-0 but for Kuipers.

We also add a fair few chances at the other end. The reason Coventry had so many chances was down to Culip and Butters. Butters is too slow and I wouldn't be surprised if Cullip is carrying an injury.

We are without our 3 first choice centre midfielders, Chippy, Oatway (the two who ensured we are playing in this division) and Rodger.

So why buy three more midfielers? McGhee "I'm not going to buy anyone that will not improve our team". Following this on then, Jarrett, Currie and Nicolas are now ranked ahead of the likes of Oatway. Chippy will make the team but I don't believe his absence is cause us the problems. Hinsh is doing a very good job in that role and I wouldn't mind seeing him groomed for that role for the future. Chippy is getting on a bit. How many games did Roger play last season? How can you possibly say he is our first choice? I'd put him out to grass and get him off the pay role asap.

We are currently getting by on defensive fill-ins (Mayo, Hinsh) and untested, inexperienced loan players (Nicolas, who is not rising to the challenge).

This is part of my point. Why is McGhee putting Mayo in midfield!?!?! Hinsh is doing ok there so I don't see that as a problem. The only reason Mayo was in midfield was because McGhee decided to play one up front at home to Plymouth! He said Jake wasn't ready. After the backlash from the fans he decided he was ready and we played much better. I can't believe you don't rate Nicolas? The man has vision and looks to play the clever ball.

Yorkie has already given you an the answer about Molango so why keep repeating your inaccurate one? When he was signed at the time, McGhee specifically said he was the same type of player as Leon and Jake, and not a replacement for Big Chris. He may be tall, but he is weak in the air. He was signed because his pace, skill and eye for goal makes up for that.

If we have Knight and Jake. Why do we need another one? Like it or not, he is the only target man we have. If he is not a target man and McGhee admits we don't have one, why is he getting the team to play as though we do have one? i.e. lots long balls and crosses. McGhee is contradicting himself. This is the whole point of the thread. We don't have a target man. You've said it, Yorkie has said it and McGhee has even said it. So why are we playing as though we have one.

Big Chris didn't leave right at the beginning of the summer, again, why twist the facts to suit your anti-McGhee agenda? He failed to turn up for pre-season training.

So he had gone before the pre-season had begun. I said beginning of the summer. BIG differnce :rolleyes:

McGhee has been working his balls off to find a replacement since then, sweating blood every single day. Your belitting of his efforts is unworthy.

I don't doubt his effort for one minute. I believe his future here depends on it. He obviopusly cannot manage a team without one. That is my gripe!

The reason why he has not found that player is because there is very few of the quality we need prepared to play for the money our restricted playing budget can afford (Please let us not have to go into why we only have a small playing budget FFS). That's the cold, hard reality of the position that Albion finds itself in, most fans accept this.

As do I which is why I suggest he start playing tactics that suit the players he has. Have you been listening?

Is McGhee going to give up? No, only whingeing short-termist fans are doing that.

Who's given up? I'm not saying sack him am I? I'm mearly stating an opinion of where I believe he is going wrong given his limited budget. I apologies I've my view differs from yours.

McGhee will get his man, eventually, but it will take time and it may take some patience.

I sincerly hope he does at it appears from current evidence that he cannot make the best of the players he has got. WHICH I BELIEVE ARE GOOD ENOUGH TO KEEP US UP WITHOUT SPENDING ANY MONEY.

[/B]Do YOU have that patience? [/B]

Not for posts like this ;)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Given up on the season already then Lammy?

McGhee did go to Arsenal to look at one of their under 21's as a loan player but unfortunately that day the particular player had a nightmare of a game so he said not yet.

He is looking and he will get loans in to help us out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here