Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My first game of the season last night

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Managed to snaffle a ticket for last nights game as it was a midweek match and for many a reason they're about the only ones i can make at the moment.

I just wanted to say what a thoroughly enjoyable game it was. Comparing this side to what we've seen over the past few years at Withdean and indeed under Poyet last season, my what a difference. They look so comfortable on the ball, from the defence right through to the strikers. You can actually see that they want to play it on the deck and enjoy their football, yet 90% of the time realise that sometimes you just have to lump it to ease the danger. Now when i saw Painter and Calderon last season i don't think i've seen a better pair of full backs at the Albion since i've been supporting them since '94, but what struck me was how much Elphick and El-Abd have grown in stature, confidence and footballing intelligence. Both were utterly comfortable in knocking it around the back, to the keeper, the little one-twos Kish and then Bridcutt to try and draw an opening from Brentford to start an attack. One fella behind me was screaming at them to 'stop f***ing around and get on with it', but i have to say the keep ball was excellent and i guess the old adage if you keep the ball then the opponent can't score was very apt last night. Ok so we got caught a couple of times around the 70 minute mark after Bridcutt came on from not calling out the danger, but both attacks were mopped up with ease and El-Abd should great strength of character to take a yellow card for the team, yet stay on his feet and ensure it wasn't a red. The lad has really blossomed under Poyet. I remember a time that as soon a striker started to put the defence under pressure the ball went sky high and hopeful that we could pick it up again.

Ankergren. Commanded the defence very well, lots of talking, pointing out the danger, didn't have much to do, but did what he needed to when Brentford showed a little effort. I think he might need to think more about pushing the ball away from the danger, even out for a corner if necessary as there was a couple of occasions in the second half he stopped a shot, but it stayed in the danger area in the box and if Brentford had a decent fast winger he could've pounced quite easily.

Midfield. I think they had such a tough job last night as Brentford set their stall out very well. 4-5-1, Forster providing the extra striker in a counter-attack if the big lump up front could hold onto it. Not likely with Elphick and El-Abd having him in their collective pockets. Brentford stiffled the midfield and you have to say their tactics worked for the main part, but you gotta give the lads credit, they plugged away still trying their passing game, but it didn't quite come off. The one thing i got a little frustrated by was the way the wingers were left open on a few occasions and they weren't picked out as Calderon and Bennett had the racking of Brentford's left side. Just need to be a bit quicker in picking them out. It improved a lot when Dicker came on and he just slotted those balls out to the right and left and straight away we were on the attack with balls going into the box. Kaz, got snuffed out in the first half, but much more lively when Murray came on and gave him a better target, so many chances in that last 20 minutes. Bennett really is a revelation isn't he. Does he ever stop running? Covers a heck of a lot of ground and whilst he might not get the ball he was always giving the Brentford midfield something to think about, unsung hero last night and boy can he swing a ball in the box, such accuracy. I can only imagine that he'll blossom even more with Poyet and Tano's knowledge and flair instincts. I felt a little sorry for Matt Sparrow, not his best game from what i've heard, couple glaringly poor passes that gave the ball away, but i guess he's only really had a couple of matches in the team and is still finding his feet. He's done it for Scunthorpe, so very confident he'll do it for us. Had to come very deep to collect the ball due to Brentford's tactics and just didn't create much from it. There were quite a few runs from the strikers in the first half that weren't picked out and yeah they may have been offside for most, but just the one slotted through would've been enough.

The strikers. Well i guess i've only seen the one game, but from watching highlights as well Barnesy looks class. I know i said it on another thread, but he just has an eye for goal from wherever he is, the shot and turn in the first half, back post, near post, in the 6 yard box, he was always looking for something and quite unselfishly looks to set up other people. Certainly got talent and you can understand why Gus was eager to get him in. Ran his socks off as well, put himself about and made sure the defenders knew he was there. Really wasn't on the same wavelength as Sandanza though, they both kept trying to fill the same area of the pitch, but that'll come in time i'm sure. When Murray came on you could just see they click and enjoy playing alongside one another. I actually think he's a great foil for Murray who we all know isn't the most energetic of strikers when he doesn't want to be, but Barnes's enthusiasm seems to infect him and get him going as well. Reckon we've got a great partnership forming there. If the keeper hadn't been in fine form we'd have battered them in the end. Loved the way Murray was winding up the Brentford 22, really got stuck into him physically and verbally and rattled him big time. Sandanza, well he tried bless him, ran alot, put himself about in a crowd pleasing way getting stuck in, but early doors for him i think, trying to click with the wingers about where the ball is gonna be played so he can get onto the end of it. Ran the line pretty well though, made a few good runs to break the offside trap, but just wasn't picked out.

Poyet. Made the subs at the right time, knew he had to change it and wasn't frightened to do so. Love the way him and the coaching staff have got the team playing, its enjoyable even if it was a little frustrating due to Brentford's tactics. As the season goes on we're going to face that a lot more from teams and the last two games have shown we can still get the results, whereas Plymouth proved that if we're allowed to play we can rip teams apart. 59% of the possession last night tells its own tale, yet last season we'd have drawn that match.

Rose tinted glasses? Maybe a little bit, simply because i've not seen us play that confidently for a very very long time. Here's hoping for loads more as i can seriously see us still being able to step up a few gears yet and if we grind out results like last night we'll definitely be in the mix at the end of the season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well said. Plenty of positives from last night, yet the most promising thing is we can play a LOT better than that.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Great stuff. You should apply for a job with the Argus. :thumbsup:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Well done Grizz, its good to read an article from someone who has 'fresh eyes' on the subject.

Exciting days at the Albion.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Well said. You're unlucky to have only been to one of our least enjoyable games so far this season.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Nice work Grizz... good report on the match... and we HAVE played better this season, so good to see you positive about one of our less than great performances...

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Aye i was chatting to me mate after the game and he said that we've played much better and i take his word for it, but i did love the tactical battle of yesterdays game, took guts for the lads to keep plugging away at their game rather than start panicking as the clock ran down.

Also noticed how we're a lot more physically and mentally stronger in the later stages of the game. Brentford's subs were anonymous and we didn't really tire apart from maybe Bennett and that's after 4 games in 12 days? Good stuff all round.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Well said. Plenty of positives from last night, yet the most promising thing is we can play a LOT better than that.

Exactly. It is nice to hear someone who doesn't go that regularly noticing the difference when we didn't play that well... Things have improved a lot.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Better have a word with the other half mate as he just doesn't get footy, so weekend games are out and midweek ones are in :D

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Aye i was chatting to me mate after the game and he said that we've played much better and i take his word for it, but i did love the tactical battle of yesterdays game, took guts for the lads to keep plugging away at their game rather than start panicking as the clock ran down.

Also noticed how we're a lot more physically and mentally stronger in the later stages of the game. Brentford's subs were anonymous and we didn't really tire apart from maybe Bennett and that's after 4 games in 12 days? Good stuff all round.

As others have said, it is encouraging that you don't go often and thought last night was encouraging. I think that is a sign of how far we have come since Poyet took over. I was slightly disappointed by our performance last night and initially felt Brentford deserved a draw, although looking at the stats afterwards I was surprised by how dominant we were.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
Must admit it always makes me chuckle when people in the crowd shout "for fucks sake kick it long" or words to that effect. It never really works and for me is always the sign of a poor team. Just look at the performances over the past few seasons. Frigging awful.

Now we have a team who are comfortable with the ball at their feet and it is a delight to watch.

The player who has come on leaps and bounds is El-Abd and he was deserving of his MOM last night. My 7 year old son was there last night and he asked why did EL-Abd get MOM as he didn't score (been watching too much Premiershit) and I said "did you see them score?" and went on to remind him that the defence is as important as the attack and if they don't score then you are more likely going to win.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Nice write-up, should have a word with the Argus! Its a shame you couldn't make it to the Oldham game as that was far more entertaining.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Great report. I got sick to death with some **** somewhere towards the middle of D or E block who was shouting out for us to hoof it up and stop all this rubbish keep ball football!!! Argghhhhh some people really do know **** all about the game!

They players are playing to Poyets game plan and so fars its paying off. At times when we are playing the passing game we are going to give it away, if the players were that much better then they would be playing for a top Championship/Premiership club. Poyet is getting the best out the players he has. They now all appear to know whats expected of them and if something does not work first time they try again ie Lua Lua cutting in and shooting .This failed for 70 mins last night but paid off in the end because the players look like they believe in each other and the system they are playing.

Great stuff. We have been so poor at Withdean in the last few years, now it look like Fortress Withdean could be back!

Must admit it always makes me chuckle when people in the crowd shout "for fucks sake kick it long" or words to that effect. It never really works and for me is always the sign of a poor team. Just look at the performances over the past few seasons. Frigging awful.

Now we have a team who are comfortable with the ball at their feet and it is a delight to watch.

The player who has come on leaps and bounds is El-Abd and he was deserving of his MOM last night. My 7 year old son was there last night and he asked why did EL-Abd get MOM as he didn't score (been watching too much Premiershit) and I said "did you see them score?" and went on to remind him that the defence is as important as the attack and if they don't score then you are more likely going to win.

Alot around me seem to want the long ball game:p doing ok the poyet way at the moment:clap2:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Good summing up but, out of interest, did you not feel that Lua Lua's contribution warranted a mention, or were you not impressed with him?

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Good summing up but, out of interest, did you not feel that Lua Lua's contribution warranted a mention, or were you not impressed with him?

I guess it was becoming a bit of a marathon post and i forgot about him. He looks much better than when we had him on loan last season, much more of an end product about him and he's bulked up a fair bit. I've got no problems with people cutting inside and having a pop as one is sure to hit the back of the net like last night. I thought he tracked back well when he needed to, got stuck in on a fair few occasions and would like to see him permanent cos he puts the shits up oppositions defences when he runs at them there's no doubt about it. I don't actually mind him being that anonymous for large amounts of the game, little lay-offs, the odd run, he's got the class to beat any defence in this division.

The only thing i thought during the game was that he seems determined to make it at Newcastle and i just can't see him doing it at the moment. He's not going to get into their first team as i don't actually think he's good enough yet and i think Premiership defenders will be much more canny about him and limit his chances a great deal. But hey what do i know :D

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Completely agree on the physically/mentally stronger bit. Didn't go last night, but the same thought struck me at Plymouth - they had a real go at us in the second half, but we didn't crumble...in fact, we seemed to relish the challenge. Elphick and El Abd have played a big part in this, as even though they are shorter than most of the forwards they play against, they still seem to win most of the aerial battles.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Is it just me that actually gets WORRIED about people shouting "lump it" or "forward forward" when they're passing it about. It would really get on my tits if I was a player.

kingstn seagull

Sep 4, 2007
YORKSHARE
I felt a little sorry for Matt Sparrow, not his best game from what i've heard, couple glaringly poor passes that gave the ball away, but i guess he's only really had a couple of matches in the team and is still finding his feet. He's done it for Scunthorpe, so very confident he'll do it for us. Had to come very deep to collect the ball due to Brentford's tactics and just didn't create much from it.

To be fair, I think sparrow would prefer to play in a 4-5-1 because it means he has a bit more license to bomb forward. He seems to get lost in the centre of midfield and prefers playing attacking mid, especially when the opposition are playing 5 in the middle he just seems to get crowded out. Dicker's probably more comfortable with the ball at his feet so at home, when we play 4-4-2, he seems like a better option.

Good match report, cheers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here