Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My Coppell theory.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
I reckon the reason he's dithering is because of the way Mr Mad made it difficult for Pardew to leave. If he stays Dick will let him talk to any club that comes along. Reading may be a better job than Brighton, but not that much better.

The question is should he put up with the Albion knowing he can leave when a proper bigger club come along, or go to Reading knowing that when a club he's really interested in is looking for a manager he won't be allowed to talk to them.

If Steve is ambitious he will want to manage a big club in the prem. Reading are not a big club despite the stadium or likely to be a prem club.

Better stay then Mr Coppell!

SiNZ

Oct 2, 2003
Whether your reasoning on SC's dithering is right or not, you raise an important point. If DK did not tell prospective managers that they could talk to interested clubs after they've signed us, how many of Horton, Adams, Taylor and Coppell would have signed for us in the first place and would we still be in Division 3 without this calibre of manager coming to us, albeit for limited durations.

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
what a rubbsih theory

Reading are worlds apart from us at the moment.

Brilliant stadium
bigger crowds
at least 1m in the pot for new players
they are better run (hate to say it)
he will at least DOUBLE his wages!!

what else do u need.

oh and he hasn't gone yet because he's had no formal offer (and he has stated that many times)

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
All the time we are a 2nd division club we will be stepping stone for managers aspiring to bigger things. At least the way the club is run means that decent managers will come here, if only for a short time. What do we need, a manager for the long haul but poor results or short term managers and a fair chance of promotion?

Until we get Falmer, big crowds and money to spend on players, no decent manager will see us as a long term prospect. Dick Knight is doing the right thing by letting our managers talk to other clubs, if he didn't they would'nt come here. We all know that Brighton has the potential to to be a big club but potential is not here and now and it's short term success that most managers want. How many managers have been in the same job for more than ten years?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
dwayne said:

)

HTF do you know that Dwayne, are you privvy to the way both clubs are run? Or is it just another one of your sweeping generalisations?

Last edited:

Royal

Oct 4, 2003
Swallowfield
dwayne said:
what a rubbsih theory

Brilliant stadium
bigger crowds

what else do u need.

oh and he hasn't gone yet because he's had no formal offer (and he has stated that many times)

Thanks for being honest i wish everyone else what stop looking
through rose tinted glasses

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
dwayne said:
what a rubbsih theory

Brilliant stadium
bigger crowds

what else do u need.

f*** me I'm going to have to agree with Dwayne on this one! :shootself

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
mate we can't even get kits out on time...Reading are making millions from hiring out their facilities at the stadium and they are operating at a profit, how many lower league clubs can claim that. Mr madejski is a **** but he is a genius of a ****.

As wilts said the other day they can run the club off profits at the moment.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
e block rebellion said:
better run why did thier manager resign then if it's so good?

errr because they tripled his wages?!?

some of u guys have gotta wake up and smell the coffee

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
dwayne said:
mate we can't even get kits out on time...Reading are making millions from hiring out their facilities at the stadium and they are operating at a profit, how many lower league clubs can claim that. Mr madejski is a **** but he is a genius of a ****.

As wilts said the other day they can run the club off profits at the moment.

Take your point re the kits, but you can't throw the fact that Reading have facilities into the equation, 'cos we don't have any.

Winning 2 championships, almost avoiding relegation after a big cock up and then going back to the top of the table makes me think that maybe this club is better run on the footballing side.. All done on a shoe string as well. Credit where it's due eh?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
no doubt we are well run and close knit, but to me, Reading are the blueprint, we are a few years off them yet.

Jul 5, 2003
Manchester.
dwayne said:
errr because they tripled his wages?!?

some of u guys have gotta wake up and smell the coffee

Coppell has stated that he isn't intrested in the money, He's thinking is Reading the club for him. If he stays with us and gains promotion then a bigger club will come in for him just like what happened with Admas.

If he needs time to think about his decision then there cant be much between us and Reading in tearms of big club status.

Reading will be like us, A yo-yo club between the prem and first division when we get our staduim but till then we could hold our own in the first division with coppell in charge. Do you really think if Reading get promoted to the Prem they'll stay there ? No. I doubt they'll win promotion from this division, Look how long it took Wolves.

DK is albion through and through and is an honest man, Mr madejski is selfish and decetiful man and doesn't think about anyone else apart himself, Does Coppell really want to work for a chairman like that ?

I'm of before I waffle on any longer :angry:

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Lucky_Boy_Farang said:
Coppell has stated that he isn't intrested in the money, He's thinking is Reading the club for him. If he stays with us and gains promotion then a bigger club will come in for him just like what happened with Admas.

If he needs time to think about his decision then there cant be much between us and Reading in tearms of big club status.

Reading will be like us, A yo-yo club between the prem and first division when we get our staduim but till then we could hold our own in the first division with coppell in charge. Do you really think if Reading get promoted to the Prem they'll stay there ? No. I doubt they'll win promotion from this division, Look how long it took Wolves.

DK is albion through and through and is an honest man, Mr madejski is selfish and decetiful man and doesn't think about anyone else apart himself, Does Coppell really want to work for a chairman like that ?

I'm of before I waffle on any longer :angry:

hang on a moment, you have taken my quote out of context!!

I was talking about pardew.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here