Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Music performances that bring a tear to your eye.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I am deeply affected by music. Here are three very different tracks that get me every time, but via different emotional routes.

Edit: made the mistake of checking the Madonna was a good version and in seconds I was in floods. Personal reasons and all that, perhaps.

Last edited:

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
These two for me, every single time:

Mr Bojangles . Quite a surprise when I found that it was written in the late 60s and not the 40s as I'd assumed...
This is the original with info about who it was written about ( not Bill Robinson )

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I should add that the Gaelynn Lea piece I put up was just her entry video that got her a NPR Tiny Desk concert ( a truly brilliant YouTube channel btw in it's musical diversity! )

The whole concert is superb, but that track in particular gets me everytime for several reasons. It was our eldest daughter, a musician and composer, that sent it to me. The lyrics resonant so much, and the sound is achingly beautiful in a way that transcends any possible way to describe it.

Here is the full concert:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Mr Bojangles . Quite a surprise when I found that it was written in the late 60s and not the 40s as I'd assumed...
This is the original with info about who it was written about ( not Bill Robinson )

Thanks.

As much as the lyrics and the story it tells, for me it's the Sammy Davis Jnr performance of it that gets me welling up.

There's a few other reasons too why this performance in particular has me in pieces.

P.S. There's a nice link in there too that'll remind me to get a certain thread back up and running again too :wink:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Was never a particular fan of Linkin Park, or the genre, but this tribute to lead singer Chester Bennington’s close friend Chris Cornell always struck me as profoundly emotionally charged. Shortly after, Bennington himself took his own life, on the anniversary of Cornell’s death.

This is a tough listen with the context of her dads death and Sinead’s recent passing.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta

Having loved this GREAT song when it came out, I've never been able to get into Sammy Davis Jr version good as it is.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Love Forever changes tour in 2003 at the Domne. Front row seats. Was quite incredible

And this. . . Really was a return to top form. And what a band.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This was too obvious for me to post, it was played at my nephew’s funeral in 1994, he was 19.
I couldn’t bring myself to listen to it for a good few years despite, as you say, it is beautiful.

Here’s to your nan and my Kev

Similarly, too painful sometimes. I don’t think my sensitive, animal adoring daughter would ever be able to watch Watership Down!

Sorry to hear that story, RIP Kev.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
This was played at my mothers funeral 30 years ago. As a child I was brought up on a diet of Neil Diamond. Coming home from school in the 70s, if my mother was in a good place (and she wasn’t very often) I’d hear him at full volume coming from the house as I walked down Birdham Rd.
That why, when Sweet Caroline is sung at the match I put my fingers in my ears and a carrier bag over my head. It’s not because of painful memories, it’s because such a great artist shouldn’t be abused in such a fashion by shit pissed up ‘singers’ of an overplayed song. (and don’t get me started on that “so good …so good” bit!)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Not sure if this is helpful to anyone - but I've added as many of those in this thread as I could find to a playlist on Spotify here - will add more if they get added to the thread (and if I get time).

Brings Tears To The Eye Playlist

Apols to a handful where I couldn't find the right version (or any version on Spotify).

EDIT: Listen at your own risk. I'm about 10 tracks in and a wreck. I've started call old friends for some reason!!

Last edited:

kjgood

This piece of music has been with me since I was about eleven or twelve. It was used by the BBC in 1967 or 68 as the theme tune to a mystery series on the TV (When there was only three TV channels in the UK) I heard it and it grabbed me for some reason. I wrote (No emails in those days) to the BBC to find out was it was and spent my pocket money in W.H. Smiths on ordering the album which was a special order at the time. I still have that album today.

It's one for a quiet moment, best with headphones with the volume turned up too loud in a dimly lit room with your feet up, if you like classical music, try it.

kjgood

I make no apologies for putting this forward as a tear jerker, as a former 22 year service WO1 who lost good friends at some point or another, this always moves me when the massed bands play this on remembrance Sunday at the cenotaph. Again one for a quiet moment maybe with a glass of port in hand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here