Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray to Palace

Breaking news from pie in the sky sports news!!!!!
"Murray set to join Palace"

It looks certain that Glenn Murray will join Crystal Palace next season.
Palarse Manager Ron Nobody said to pie in the sky sports news " We are looking to Glenn Murray, who has a wealth of experience at League 1, to spearhead our challenge for a top six finish in League 1 next season." Palarse, who were relegated from the championship this season are also looking at former Brighton players, Mark Mcgammon and Bas Savage as they look to weaken their side to pay for the new sainsbury's home and garden section located at the croydon slum.
Palace fans were up in arms at this news today but said " we don't give two shits anyway cos we goin to watch crawley anyhow"
The fee for murray's services is thought to be around nought nought double nought nought bugger all!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It's not really a story is it? It's more of headline with Sky Sports understands blah...blah....

There maybe a kernel of truth in it, but I would be surprised if Murray does leave this summer Palarse will be making the best offer.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Never said it was OK, or that I agreed with it.

But the fact of the matter is that so many people are saying our owner poured money into the club, and then left the creditors in a mess, when in fact he was a major creditor, and other creditors AGREED to the 1p in the £ offer.

I would imagine they accepted very much on the basis that 'it's that or nothing I'm afraid'. If you borrowed a grand off me to buy a new caravan do you think I'd happily 'agree' to a tenner in repayment? No.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
We should all calm down, can't anyone see the real story here?

Next season we will be heading to the Premiership, a fairy tale to all involved with the club, but what would really make the season that bit extra special? Palace finishing bottom and going into admin again. Tony has told Murray to screw down Palace for more than they can afford with a nice signing on fee on top and then play absolute rubbish for them ensuring they lose every game, Tony has said in return that he will fund a new Greggs bakery to be opened next door to Glenns house. In the season Glenn is away, Michael Owen will be standing in for him as all the "injuries" he has been picking up have been a cover for him getting bionic legs that will allow him to kick a ball at 200mph, again paid for by Tony

It's all part of the bigger plan that has been hidden from us so far, as everyone has said we should trust Tony and Gus, so far everything is going to plan and probably ahead of plan

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I agree, it is very low, but you would do the same if given the opportunity, no doubt?

In 2004 we were 9.5 million in debt but refused to go into administration.

Fortunately we had running the club people with some scruples and a sense of obligation.

Due to the cost of the public enquiry, rent on the Withdean Stadium, fees paid to use Gillingham's Priestfield Stadium, and a general running deficit due to the low ticket sales inherent with a small ground, the club had an accumulated deficit of £9.5 Million as of 2004. The Board of Directors are picking up £7 Million of this, and the other £2.5 Million must be raised from the operations of the club. In an effort to achieve this, a fundraising appeal known as the Alive and Kicking Fund has been started, with everything from nude Christmas Cards featuring the players to a CD single being released to raise cash. On 9th January this fundraising single 'Tom Hark (We Want Falmer)' went straight in at number 17 in the UK chart, gaining it national airplay on BBC Radio 1.

Unlike most clubs carrying a large debt, the club has never considered entering administration.

Jukesy

Apr 13, 2011
Oh well that's OK then. It absolutely beggars belief that Palace fans cannot grasp why people are a little upset at how they have behaved (twice). DELUDED FOOLS.

We do the same as you, turn up, pay our money, buy the merchandise, follow them round the country etc.

We don't own the clubs, just support them.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Not a popular opinion I know but it is hardly the Palace fans fault how their club is run in the same way that we were not suddenly money-grabbing turnips when Archer et al were in town.

After all, they are just fans like us. And if it wasn't for them we would be having a rival with Orient, Reading or someone equally non-descript.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Not a popular opinion I know but it is hardly the Palace fans fault how their club is run in the same way that we were not suddenly money-grabbing turnips when Archer et al were in town.

After all, they are just fans like us. And if it wasn't for them we would be having a rival with Orient, Reading or someone equally non-descript.

It is a shorthand. No-one thinks the fans as individuals are cheats - but their Club is.

Palace4ever

Apr 13, 2011
I don't usually post on other forums due to the pointlessness of the act, but felt that there were a few misconceptions that needed clearing up somewhat.

Firstly, not one Palace fan I know of is proud of the frivolous nature of our fiscal policy over the last 15 years or so. We as a set of fans were so enraged that we owed St. John's Ambulance well over £12,000 during administration that the fans collectively produced the funds to pay them off. Had we been able to do that for all creditors (especially the small businesses) we would have given it a go.

Despite the myths, our financial black hole only stemmed from transfers and wages we could not afford in the final 18 months to a year before we were placed in administration. Our inital downfall came from Goldberg who bought the club on potential wealth - not real wealth. In the process, his funds never materialised and as such never completed the purchase of the gorund. Our old chairman, Noades, held onto the ground and that became the albatross around our necks until last July. The sad fact is that nearly all our money has been spanked on exorbitant rent of Selhurst for the past 12 years - and in actual fact player salaries etc played a smaller part than is usually the case. Having said that, we did live beyond our means - and quite rightly we were punished. For the record, the trauma of last season was more punishment than it looked from outside the club. I wouldn't wish that on anyone - yourselves included.

Also note that Jordan, whilst idiotic, did actually lose his entire welath in the club, and he was 80% of the creditors (in terms of amounts owed). A little known fact which shouldn't be forgotten. He gambled and lost - but it hurt him more than anyone else.

However, it is important to note Agilo's hostility. They'd have got their funds back within 2 weeks of plunging us into administration with the sale of Victor Moses and the FA cup run. At which point all revenues would have been earmarked for the next creditors (HMRC) in order of debts owed. We'd certainly be in a precarious situation now - but I feel, we would have still been with SJ at the helm had they not prematurely pulled the trigger. As it turned out they (and all the other creditors) lost out far more than they needed to. We didn't opt for an easy way out. Once our new owners picked up the club, ground and offered the creditors 1p in the £ (as mercenary as it is) they passed the FA's exit admin rules and as such have acted perfectly legally. Thier abbhoration at the previous owners financial policy mean that transfer fees, wages etc etc are to be paid for by the club. No more loans or chairman 'gifts'. If the club doesn't make money, then we won't spend it. As such we are relying on youth and have a nice buffer within our wage structure. Should we stay up this season, then the championship agreement with SKY will land us more in revenue next season and so the budget increases slightly again.

Back on topic - in terms of loyalty and paying back the club who gave him his chance - I think it'd be great if Murray stayed with you guys next term. We have our eyes on the permanent signing of James Vaughan - and that would do me nicely. If Murray did come over from the Dark Side ;-) then I'd welcome him with open arms.

One fianl note - whilst I see the optimism around your club, and hope that we have two memorable matches next season, please recognise that despite our recent failings, we are very much a club with excitement and optimism flowing through. Young, enthusiastic chairmen, with a young, hungry club legend for a manager. This season of rebuilding could be followed by solid progress next. If Murray has met with Dougie and our chairmen over a move - it is possible his head may have been turned as their enthusiasm is infectious. Particularly if reports are to be believed that he has effectively been offered double his salary!

Whilst I do uphold the Palace / Brighton rivalry, I also see there is much more to life than just hating....well done on promotion. Looking forward to battle with you guys next year (hopefully).

Last edited:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Sometimes little things always stick in the old memory, like last season away to brentford when after the game all the players walked over to us travelling fans to applaud us......all apart from murray!
I've not forgotten that, does he really care about Brighton? It's just a wage to him

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Murrays post match lack of celebrations

Did anybody else see the changing room video on seagulls.co.uk, all lads singing, chanting and in high spirits. Murray in the corner, not involved. I thought it strange last night, he wasn't really in there with all the other players.... Is he shy? seemed strange, is this story today and his imminent 'palace player' the reason?

Brighton and Hove Albion | Player | Latest News | Exclusive: Promotion Celebrations

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I heard this 2 weeks ago from a source that has links to certain club players. Money talks. If Gus REALLY wanted him he'd be staying!!!!!

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
I don't usually post on other forums due to the pointlessness of the act, but felt that there were a few misconceptions that needed clearing up somewhat.

Firstly, not one Palace fan I know of is proud of the frivolous nature of our fiscal policy over the last 15 years or so. We as a set of fans were so enraged that we owed St. John's Ambulance well over £12,000 during administration that the fans collectively produced the funds to pay them off. Had we been able to do that for all creditors (especially the small businesses) we would have given it a go.

Despite the myths, our financial black hole only stemmed from transfers and wages we could not afford in the final 18 months to a year before we were placed in administration. Our inital downfall came from Goldberg who bought the club on potential wealth - not real wealth. In the process, his funds never materialised and as such never completed the purchase of the gorund. Our old chairman, Noades, held onto the ground and that became the albatross around our necks until last July. The sad fact is that nearly all our money has been spanked on exorbitant rent of Selhurst for the past 12 years - and in actual fact player salaries etc played a smaller part than is usually the case. Having said that, we did live beyond our means - and quite rightly we were punished. For the record, the trauma of last season was more punishment than it looked from outside the club. I wouldn't wish that on anyone - yourselves included.

Also note that Jordan, whilst idiotic, did actually lose his entire welath in the club, and he was 80% of the creditors (in terms of amounts owed). A little known fact which shouldn't be forgotten. He gambled and lost - but it hurt him more than anyone else.

However, it is important to note Agilo's hostility. They'd have got their funds back within 2 weeks of plunging us into administration with the sale of Victor Moses and the FA cup run. At which point all revenues would have been earmarked for the next creditors (HMRC) in order of debts owed. We'd certainly be in a precarious situation now - but I feel, we would have still been with SJ at the helm had they not prematurely pulled the trigger. As it turned out they (and all the other creditors) lost out far more than they needed to. We didn't opt for an easy way out. Once our new owners picked up the club, ground and offered the creidtors 1p in the £ (as mercenary as it is) they passed the FA's exit admin rules and as such have acted perfectly legally. Thier abbhoration at the previous owners financial policy mean that transfer fees, wages etc etc whas to be paid for by the club. No more loans or chairman 'gifts'. If the club don't make money, then we don't spend it. As such we are relying on youth and have a nice buffer within our wage structure. Should we stay up this season, then the championship agreement with SKY will land us more in revenue next season and so the budget increases slightly again.

Back on topic - in terms of loyalty and paying back the club who gave him his chance - I think it'd be great if Murray stayed with you guys next term. We have our eyes on the permanent signing of James Vaughan - and that would do me nicely. If Murray did come over from the Dark Side ;-) then I'd welcome him with open arms.

One fianl note - whilst I see the optimism around your club, and hope that we have two memorable matches next season, please recognise that despite our recent failings, we are very much a club with excitement and optimism flowing through. Young, enthusiastic chairmen, with a young, hungry club legend for a manager. This season of rebuilding could be followed by solid progress next. If Murray has met with Dougie and our chairmen over a move - it is possible his head may have been turned as their enthusiasm is infectious. Particularly if reports are to be believed that he has effectively been offered double his salary!

Whilst I do uphold the Palace / Brighton rivalry, I also see there is much more to life than just hating....well done on promotion. Looking forward to battle with you guys next year (hopefully).

Far too sensible and reasoned. Here's how it works, you go "hahahahahahaha gayboys", we go "suprised you have internet in your caravan you pikey."

Please observe these rules in future.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
I hope its not true. Surely if Murray has got any sense, he would see a move to Palace as short term gain for long term pain. Ok, they might offer him a load more money, but for al the reasons previously stated on here comparing our current situation to that of Palace, I know who I would rather play for. Regardless of where we finish in the Championship next season, Murray will be offered even better deals if he continues to score an average of a goal every other game.

I also trust in Gus, but even the greats like Fergie drop the occasional bollock and buy a donkey. If players like Holt can cut it in the Championship, then so can Muzza. Why has he looked so much better this season? Because he has a great team around him built by Gus and is the fittest he has ever been since he arrived at the Albion.

As someone on this thread has already said, Its easier to buy one more great striker than having to find two. Can't see Holroyd or Wood being with us next season. That leaves Barnes, who I think is much better than Wood anyway. Barnes will get better and better. He already works well with Muzza.

Even with the greed of agents and some players, I really believe that Muzza would see this as a backward step (stands by prepared to be proved wrong) :ascarf:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

Without the financial shenanigans you would have been in a lower division kicking around with the clubs who were spending within their means. In some ways the gamble has paid off as you are still in the Championship - but the stench will take a lot longer to clear.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I heard this 2 weeks ago from a source that has links to certain club players. Money talks. If Gus REALLY wanted him he'd be staying!!!!!

we dont actually now he is leaving yet.

for me i still cant get past the fact Palace are not certain to stay up, so when the reporter twitters that its a "done deal", i have to regard that as very suspect.

i also find it a little hard to believe we would be so easily out bid on wages, if we are to challenge for top 6 we will need to be spending some money.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here