Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray red (and appeal)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You have to take into account just how hard that shot was hit. Looks bad in super slow motion back but at full speed anyone would do the same. Could be overturned.

The force of the ball was so great, that despite protecting his face, it also knocked him over.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
It's one for a straight red unless it's dangerous or reckless. Never two unless they've already had a ban.

Before anyone argues, it was a red. It's quicker to duck than raise your hands and therefore he could have avoided being hit in the face if he wanted to duck.
There is an argument that he wasn't denying a clear goalscoring opportunity, Stockdale was right behind him. In which case it should have been a yellow and a penalty.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Shame the appeal is taking place on Monday.

Hoped we could stall and keep Glenn for Tuesday.

It won't get overturned, although it should in my opinion.
Worst case is Glenn will miss the Lincoln game. So worthwhile appealing.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Not surprised. I thought the rule had been changed so that the awarding of the penalty was deemed sufficient punishment?

Not necessarily. Still a few situations where a red would still be given.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Regardless of whether it was a red or not, he was given a red and the siege mentality of this team kicked in. There was no way the 10 men were willing to let Wednesday win that game.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Despite what we all think and believe, the FA very rarely go against their own.

He'll miss the Cardiff game and I would like to think it's one game we could cope without him.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Regardless of whether it was a red or not, he was given a red and the siege mentality of this team kicked in. There was no way the 10 men were willing to let Wednesday win that game.

Thinking back to the Hyppia era we would have lost that by 4 goals

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I don't think it will be over turned but have just watched the highlights again and an argument could be made that it was an instinctive protection of his face from a close range kick. 100% a penalty of course.

It really is time in this modern age to have video referees for important decisions.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It's just the sort of decision that should be overturned. Easy to see why the ref thought it was a red on first viewing and in the heat of the moment, but it was the wrong decision. Have I any faith in the FA panel though? No.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
It's just the sort of decision that should be overturned. Easy to see why the ref thought it was a red on first viewing and in the heat of the moment, but it was the wrong decision. Have I any faith in the FA panel though? No.

Unless of course he was playing for Newcastle

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
My mind will boggle if the same panel that failed to overturn the Stephens challenge at boro last season somehow deem this worthy of a u turn .

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Calde would have stopped it with his face (and escaped without injury)

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
The FA very rarely use the frivolous appeal rule anyway. Man City appears Fernandinho's red card recently and it was the most blatant red card I've ever seen, he didn't get an extra game ban for frivolous appeal. Murray has a case, so certainly not frivolous.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Ask the ref stand in the same place and kick balls at him and I'll bet he puts his hands up to protect his face.
I was hoping the fans would start singing are you dean in disguise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here