Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mug !!!

PCBEARDMLORD

Isn't it ?
Jan 30, 2008
Patcham
Man is conned out of £130,000 by Nigerian fraudster who posed as a woman asking for help to pay for sick mother's funeral
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
Last updated at 4:24 PM on 14th January 2009

Comments (0)
Add to My Stories
A 32-year-old man has lost more than £130,000 in an internet scam involving Nigerian fraudsters, police have revealed.

The victim was contacted by a man posing as a woman in the summer of 2007. They struck up a friendship and the 'woman' began asking for money to help her sick mother.

He agreed to the requests and sent more money to pay for the funeral when he was told that the mother had passed away.

A Hampshire Police spokeswoman said: 'It eventually transpired that the woman was in fact a Nigerian man who had been lying to obtain money from the man in Portsmouth.'

Fraud: Internet scams are becoming increasingly common

The spokeswoman explained that the victim then received further emails from someone else purporting to be another victim of the fraud as well as men who claimed to be FBI agents investigating the scam.

She added: 'The agents said they would take on the Portsmouth man's case if he would fund their trip to Nigeria and any subsequent costs they incurred, which the man agreed to.

'This went on for many months before it again transpired that the emails were fraudulent, and in fact another attempt to obtain money from the man.

'The money cannot be recovered due to the current political situation in Nigeria, resulting in a lack of co-operation from the police in the country.'

Detective Constable Jon Knox warned people to be careful when dealing with requests for money over the internet.

He said: 'This is a very sad situation, and this man has now parted with a huge sums of money through his own good nature - in trying to help others and then to recover some of what he had lost.

'We do not want anyone else to fall foul of this kind of shocking activity and I would warn anyone who is asked for money over the internet by people they do not know to refuse and not put yourself at risk.'

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Sad thing is that these people are not muppets. They are generally quite "intelligent" people who are just susceptible to this sort of scam. Just had a teacher at school go off sick with stress - she only parted with £1000 (we think) before she was told about the whole deal after she let enough details slip for us to realise what was happening. Started from a Christian dating site, then she got into email correspondence with him, and the next thing we know he's been shot and needs medical care (despite being a millionaire). She almost remortgaged her house, declared that she was engaged to him, and was heading down the same route as this guy - and the same route that thousands of people head down. It's a business in Nigeria, really quite impressive once you look deeper into it - whole teams headed up by controllers!

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Do you think they have full on call centre type places with rows of employees just there to make scam calls 24-7 ?

Not far off. The setups are quite professional. They monitor dating sites, they monitor chat rooms, looking for people they think they can get a hit on. It starts off friendly, and then they see if they can get some interest from anybody in the rooms, and then they work on them. They organise the marks they are going to hit, and keep their details up on the walls. They use each person in the room to take on a role, and play whatever is required. Some of the teams have PABXs so that they can receive calls on "hospital lines" or "police lines" or "embassy lines" and transfer them around the team. They have banks of photos that they send out to keep the "mugu" on the hook. Even when they are rumbled, they will keep trying to play the game, involving members of the team as other people who have been conned and can help you get cash back, embassy workers, security staff, etc, all of which will need a little cash deposit to help fund expenses. Technically the Nigerian government are trying to shut the fraudsters down, but as it is rumoured that the government officials are also known to be involved, they never seem to get very far.

Higham Seagull Army

May 5, 2008
northants
scary stuff . Im glad i gave all my personal details to this really friendly african chap ,who said he was from visa and could sort out all my security problems,i know for a fact i want be taken for a mug.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Whenever I receive a call from a credit card company or bank they always ask me to for some 'security' questions before they speak to me and I always say I will not answer them until you can prove that you work for HBOS , Capital One or whoever. The usual answer is they give me an 0800 number as proof of who they are to confirm, this number is readily available on their website and available to anybody.

I have suggested to them can you give me the middle 4 number of my card which even if known by an outsider is of no use to them or the expiry date of my card The standard answer is sorry we cannot give that information.

I am sure that there must be some way that these people could prove who they are and that they are genuine without breaching any confidentiality data protection but to verify they are who they say they are. There are numerous examples of people being conned over the phone or internet so why do the financial institutions not set the standards and prove their employees are genuine.

fonejacker.jpg

Goooooooood afternoon...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Sorry but this guy is 32 with a spare £130k to blow on someone he has never met! Mug is being too kind. I only have sympathy for the OAPs who are scammed.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
It's shocking how these people have that sort of money to send to a stranger really.

They were saying on the telly the other day how the people are scamming them, and then pretending to be legal executives, or in this case part of the secret service, or even the police, who will say that they will get the money back for them, for a fee, and hardly anything is happening to stop these people.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I got just such an email this morning:

Good day

I am Mr.Peter Wong,I have a deceased client funds in my bank i need you to front as beneficiary,If interested contact
me via: jpeterwong4@yahoo.com.hk

Sincerely,
Mr. Peter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here