Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

mr gannon

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Gannon has rejected us already and is managing a Scottish Premier League club and if he does well there it could put him in the shop window for a bigger club. I don't see why he would suddenly change his mind and drop everything to come to a club he did not want to come to when he had the opportunity to.

Gav1901

Banned
May 14, 2008
Southwick
Gannon has rejected us already and is managing a Scottish Premier League club and if he does well there it could put him in the shop window for a bigger club. I don't see why he would suddenly change his mind and drop everything to come to a club he did not want to come to when he had the opportunity to.

exactly , i agree

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Well The Argus does say we are considering him...

Also one high profile former player has shown interest. wonder if that's a high profile former Albion player?

Bloom weighs up his options

7:00am Friday 6th November 2009

comment Comments (2) Have your say »
By Andy Naylor »

Albion are torn between big names and contenders with proven records in the lower divisions after Steve Coppell ruled himself out of the running for the manager’s job.

The Argus understands at least one high profile former player has expressed an interest.

But a head-turning appointment could be a gamble and chairman Tony Bloom may plump for a more solid candidate.

Jim Gannon, Colin Calderwood, Nigel Adkins, Gus Poyet and Steve Tilson are among the names under consideration.

The Argus website exclusively revealed yesterday afternoon that No. 1 target Coppell is holding fire for a Premier League or Championship job, which will be his last in management.

That opportunity could come as early as next week, with Phil Brown one game from the sack at Hull.

Albion chairman Tony Bloom said: “Steve was one of the first names to spring to mind, and would have been a leading candidate for the job, but on initial contact he ruled himself out.

“He is enjoying his time out of the game, after leaving Reading last summer, and I think only a very high profile job could tempt him back into football at this time.

“We have had a high number of quality applicants and have now refined the shortlist and will continue with the process of evaluating and interviewing the leading contenders.”

Gannon was the first choice of former chairman Dick Knight before Russell Slade was appointed but he turned Albion down and moved to Motherwell from Stockport instead.

Gannon has continued to impress north of the border, where he has just been named manager of the month.

Calderwood, currently assistant manager at Newcastle, guided Northampton to promotion from League Two and Nottingham Forest from League One.

That makes him appealing to Bloom, as the chairman wants Albion in the Championship for the move to Falmer in August 2011.

Adkins is highly regarded by the Albion Board for the same reason, having steered Scunthorpe to promotion to the Championship twice in the past three seasons with former Seagull Andy Crosby as his assistant.

Uruguyan Poyet worked with Dennis Wise at Swindon and Leeds and at Spurs under Juande Ramos, while Tilson led cash-strapped Southend to the League One title in 2005-06 and into the play-offs two seasons later following relegation.

They are all regarded as more realistic targets for Albion than the likes of Alan Curbishley and Gareth Southgate, who, it is feared, would adopt the same stance as Coppell.

Other contenders include Steve Cotterill, Iain Dowie, Brentford's Andy Scott, ex-Gillingham chief Andy Hessenthaler, Exeter boss Paul Tisdale and Tony Adams.
Print article » Email to a friend »
Share this article

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
There does seem to be some hints that Gannon is the man, but I just don't really get why there is any chance he'd leave Motherwell so early into a job he is doing very well, which could itself be a step to greater things.

So unless there is something going on behind the scenes at Motherwell or with him, that isn't common knowledge, or unless he has been given 'an offer he can't refuse' to come here, then I can't see he'd have any motivation in joining us.. :shrug:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
What would attract a manager to leave a Scottish Premier League club where he is doing well, after he has only been there a few months; to come to a English league 1 side with no amazing history or great team or good ground or shitloads of money and is in a relegation scrap.

Serious question then, what would do it?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
All those who claimed Coppell was a 'done deal' have lost all credibility now, so I don't believe this.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We have absolutely no chance. he turned us down when Stockport were falling apart at the seams, he has just won manager of the month and got Motherwell into a European position. You'd have to be delusional to think we even have a 1% chance of tempting him down here.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
We have absolutely no chance. he turned us down when Stockport were falling apart at the seams, he has just won manager of the month and got Motherwell into a European position. You'd have to be delusional to think we even have a 1% chance of tempting him down here.

my thinking was that he turned us down to see Stockport through a bad period and moved on because they could not afford him and by that time we had already got RS installed and it all depends on how well TB sells the club to him although I think Mr Knight has already done this up to a point
he would be my choice most certainly

Dosser

Feb 22, 2009
my thinking was that he turned us down to see Stockport through a bad period and moved on because they could not afford him and by that time we had already got RS installed and it all depends on how well TB sells the club to him although I think Mr Knight has already done this up to a point
he would be my choice most certainly

Fair enough, but it is a big assumption that Motherwell would let anyone talk to their manager mid way through the season.

Do not believe he would come to Sussex now to be honest - he is consistently stating how happy he is at Motherwell, and talks often of being at the beginning of a long-term plan. He is a principled guy, and can't see him asking for a move.

Whether by luck or otherwise, he has ended up with exactly the sort of team he covets and enjoys working with (young, skilful and desperate to play for the jersey).

All of this being said, I have no doubts that he would be a wonderful manager for Brighton...if he was given the time to develop his own team. Seems to me that many on this board would not afford him that opportunity, and possibly be unhappy at his inexperience at a higher level.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Why the f*** does ANYONE think he would come HERE? he is doing BLOODY brilliant at a club in a HIGHER league with the chance of EUROPEAN football

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Why the f*** does ANYONE think he would come HERE? he is doing BLOODY brilliant at a club in a HIGHER league with the chance of EUROPEAN football
A chance? He's already managed them in Europe this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here