Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] MPS to get £2,000 pay rise.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
When I started this thread it wasn’t to do with how much they earn but the pay rise In comparison to what key workers in the private sector and public sector are getting. However how many times have we seen an elected politician having a kip in the House of Commons. Anyone else would have got the Tom tack for sleeping on the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You say that- why aren't they doing it now for double the salary then?

I also think that being an MP is a more skilled role than nurses / armed forces etc. I'm sure that's an unpopular opinion, but you can train most people to be a nurse. You couldn't train most people to be an MP.

I have to disagree with all of that.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
There's lots of valid suggestions on here about how to try and improve the quality of candidates who want to stand for Parliament, but at the end of the day it's the British electorate that decides who is going to be an MP and represent them, regardless of all of this :shrug:

And I don't think it has ever been more ably demonstrated in Britain than it is today

'Toute nation a le gouvernement qu'elle mérite'.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
You say that- why aren't they doing it now for double the salary then?

I also think that being an MP is a more skilled role than nurses / armed forces etc. I'm sure that's an unpopular opinion, but you can train most people to be a nurse. You couldn't train most people to be an MP.

Really, more skilled than a nurse who can save a life. Same for the police, fire service, paramedics and the forgotten one the prison service. What about a member of the armed forces who is trained to take a life and also save them. You are entitled to your opinion but in this instance I for one can not agree with it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Really, more skilled than a nurse who can save a life. Same for the police, fire service, paramedics and the forgotten one the prison service. What about a member of the armed forces who is trained to take a life and also save them. You are entitled to your opinion but in this instance I for one can not agree with it.

Most of those jobs can be trained for though - rather than specific skill or natural ability. Not that I think a lot of MPs have that.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Most of those jobs can be trained for though - rather than specific skill or natural ability. Not that I think a lot of MPs have that.

What particular skills do MP’s have that can’t be taught?

I think perhaps you should do some more research on the responsibilities and skill sets of prison officers, social workers, police and nurses.

Sorry, this isn’t a personal attack but it’s your kind of attitude that makes me sigh. And it’s the reason we aren’t as valued in society as I think we should be.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

I'm not going to answer that as I'll no doubt have examples thrown at me where it isn't true. I don't disagree frontline public safety staff should be paid more - but I don't think it is realistic to compare them to other jobs.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
You can train all that though. And my limited experience in hospitals tells me doctors tend to 'save lifes' - nurses keep you comfortable and ticking over. And I don't think Police / Prison officers have any real specific 'skills' - they are just willing to do the job.

Seriously I was a prison officer for 15 years they have more skills than most public sector workers. Additionally I spent 23 years in the RAF. How would you go about using your communication skills to de-escalate a violent person threatening to take your face off or having a shank in their hand. Or dealing with someone hanging from a rope. Or taking someone hostage. Would love to see you in that position. Willing to do the job my a hole. Wanting to make a difference more like. Would you do it for the paultry £26,000 top whack pay pa. Furthermore they now have to work till 68 to get there pension. Do you have a dad/relative who could do that at that age

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Seriously I was a prison officer for 15 years they have more skills than most public sector workers. Additionally I spent 23 years in the RAF. How would you go about using your communication skills to de-escalate a violent person threatening to take your face off or having a shank in their hand. Or dealing with someone hanging from a rope. Or taking someone hostage. Would love to see you in that position. Willing to do the job my a hole. Wanting to make a difference more like. Would you do it for the paultry £26,000 top whack pay pa. Furthermore they now have to work till 68 to get there pension. Do you have a dad/relative who could do that at that age

I couldn't do it - which is why I don't. But that is because I am selfish and money is more important to me than doing these kind of public services so I applaud those that do to keep society safe. Sadly the whole of society is imbalanced when you do that for £26k and my boss is advertising for a new PA on £45k a year.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
A nurse around £33K.

£33k for a nurse is a Band 6, and will have been Band 6 for a couple of years. Staff nurses enter at £25.6k, and will typically take around 6 years to get to anything over £33k. There are some who'll only get Band 4 roles as newly qualified nurses, they start at £22.5k and assuming they progress as fast as expected will take 8 years to be hitting £33k+.

Also worth noting that "nurse" as a job description papers over a whole host of different roles. My Mrs was a nurse (and recently was put back on the temp register thanks to covid). She started out as a community nurse - not a doctor in sight. Community nurses shoulder a huge amount of the responsibility for helping keep as many people in their own homes as possible for as long as possible. She then moved into research ... again, not many doctors around. Nurses are responsible for a very substantial amount of the medical research that goes into informing how best to provide treatment (where a doctor isn't required) or support treatment (where a Dr is needed). Even now, she's strictly speaking no longer a nurse but using those same skills and paid according to the same NHS Bands - she's now a research project coordinator relying on skills not dissimilar to those I use on a day to day basis as a Product Manager. Difference is, I'm private sector and get paid nearly double what she does.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Firstly, thanks you for the jobs you have done.

I work with vulnerable people with complex needs. In the four years in this job I have performed countless CPR, first aid on slit wrists, throats and thighs. Stopped countless fights. Been assaulted by drug dealers, drug addicts, pimps, ex-partners and the people I protect. We’ve safely wrestled knives off people. I have personally climbed out onto a 5 storey roof to grab a resident who wanted to jump, changed their mind and then couldn’t get back inside, frozen with fear.

We are trained to recognise signs of depression, suicidal tendencies, domestic abuse, coercive relationships, exploitation, modern slavery and exploitation. As well as recognise countless possible medical and mental health conditions.

Plus we have to be supportive, provide a safe environment, be aware of PIE and get called every name under the sun by the very people we are there to help. All for a very low wage.

So I have to say, it disappoints me greatly when I’m told somebody who is in a job that requires no qualifications to perform, with no required entry standards to meet is more qualified and worth more money than a police officer, prison officer etc.

Some people just don’t live in the real world.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
I couldn't do it - which is why I don't. But that is because I am selfish and money is more important to me than doing these kind of public services so I applaud those that do to keep society safe. Sadly the whole of society is imbalanced when you do that for £26k and my boss is advertising for a new PA on £45k a year.

Well I appreciate your honesty

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Firstly, thanks you for the jobs you have done.

I work with vulnerable people with complex needs. In the four years in this job I have performed countless CPR, first aid on slit wrists, throats and thighs. Stopped countless fights. Been assaulted by drug dealers, drug addicts, pimps, ex-partners and the people I protect.
We are trained to recognise signs of depression, suicidal tendencies, domestic abuse, coercive relationships, exploitation, modern slavery and exploitation. As well as recognise countless possible medical and mental health conditions.
Plus we have to be supportive, provide a safe environment, be aware of PIE and get called every name under the sun by the very people we are there to help. All for a very low wage.

So I have to say, it disappoints me greatly when I’m told somebody who is in a job that requires no qualifications to perform, with no required entry standards to meet is more qualified and worth more money than a police officer, prison officer etc.

Some people just don’t live in the real world.

Thank you and you are doing an amazing job. Just to also inform people doing that job also affected my mental health which resulted in me being dismissed In 2019. Was it worth it “yes because I helped more than I was not able to.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Thank you and you are doing an amazing job. Just to also inform people doing that job also affected my mental health which resulted in me being dismissed In 2019. Was it worth it “yes because I helped more than I was not able to.

A brilliant attitude. I hope you are having a more peaceful life and can enjoy yourself a bit more now.

I have to say, I am pretty much at my threshold of compassion. Not to mention the bullshit we have to deal with from managers and the council. I’m currently taking two nights off as I am unwell/exhausted. This however will have to be taken out of my annual leave as we don’t get sick pay. I simply cannot afford to lose two shifts. Because we don’t get sick pay I have been unable to take a sick day in four years, until yesterday night. I’ve been at work shaking and shivering with flu and can’t even contemplate having that time off.

That’s not to say I don’t think I some MP’s do a good job. I’m sure some are great and do lots of good. But let’s not pretend they are worth more than a nurse. They are not. How quickly the public forget.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I agree we need less people doing it. I just don't see why anyone in their right mind would do that job for £84K, especially if you live in the South East. It's an incredibly hard, stressful, horrible job. One that you would never be able to switch off from, wherever you went.
Bullshit

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

I think perhaps you should do some more research on the responsibilities and skill sets of prison officers, social workers, police and nurses.

Sorry, this isn’t a personal attack but it’s your kind of attitude that makes me sigh. And it’s the reason we aren’t as valued in society as I think we should be.
How to continuously lie is their main skill I think?

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Was just chatting about this last week. If we really want to improve the quality of how this country is run we need to get the best people to run it - not average journalists. So I’d put in rules - minimum age (you need wisdom), had to have done a proper job (not worked in politics your whole life (so no Oxbridge PPE graduate, working in think tank for 4-5years , then given safe seat), paid properly (level that runs at minimum large departments (so £100k+) and no external interests / jobs. I know so many people who would do this job but as just being (as an example) a principal chartered engineer pays £65-80K why would you want the hassle of being an MP for a little extra.

If we get people with real skills and qualifications - business people (small medium and large), engineers, economists, doctors, chemists, etc we’d be in a better position. Imagine department of transport led by a Civil Engineer, department of health by a Doctor, Department of Education by a Teacher etc etc.

I read that once all new MPs are elected there party (both Labour and Tories) takes them away for a weeks high intensity assessment to see who is future ministerial candidates - more than half are assessed as not good enough. So that means we have <150 people with potential to run the country. That’s why we see business leaders being given “Lordships” (Lords Drayson and Sugar being examples) so they can be bought in to cover for poor quality elected MPs

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
A brilliant attitude. I hope you are having a more peaceful life and can enjoy yourself a bit more now.

I have to say, I am pretty much at my threshold of compassion. Not to mention the bullshit we have to deal with from managers and the council. I’m currently taking two nights off as I am unwell/exhausted. This however will have to be taken out of my annual leave as we don’t get sick pay. I simply cannot afford to lose two shifts. Because we don’t get sick pay I have been unable to take a sick day in four years, until yesterday night. I’ve been at work shaking and shivering with flu and can’t even contemplate having that time off.

That’s not to say I don’t think I some MP’s do a good job. I’m sure some are great and do lots of good. But let’s not pretend they are worth more than a nurse. They are not. How quickly the public forget.

Good luck with getting better I know how bad things can get

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here