Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MP3Downloading.com - Rip-Off?

Roddy

Feb 14, 2005
After reading a recent thread regarding downloading music, I subscribed to MP3downloading.com. I followed the instructions and download their "etomi" program and then searched for some tracks...that's where the problems started.

I've repeatedly received the following message,
"etomi is currently connecting to the network. Your search may not return many results until you are fully connected to the network"

I've checked my connections, all ok, and re-installed the etomi program. Still nothing. I've sent 4 emails to their technical and customer service department with no reply. Not being the biggest IT expert in the world, am I being plain stupid or have I been ripped-off? Anyone else experienced simlar problems?

All advice welcomed.

Many thanks.

PS - Cracking win yesterday.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
I use MP3downloading and have had no problems at all. GC is probably rigt about the firewall, I had to alter my settings to get it to work properly.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sorry to say you've been had. The software you've received and installed is apparently a program called sharezilla thats repackaged. This softweare accesses the Gnutella network but i gather its used to transmitt adverts across the network rather than share files.

Thats the good news

The bad news is it installs spyware that sacns your computer and sends of listing to the mothership. That mothership is likly to be RIAA (record industry association of america), so they can sue you for all the MP3 youve downloaded. Dont worry, they're american so can do bugger all, but get rid of it asap.

Uninstall, then download Spybot and clearup the crap its left. Then chalk this one up to experience.

The lesson: dont pay for stuff on the net from people who you've never heard of, and dont believe anyone who puts the words MP3, free and legal in the same sentance or website. They simply arent. Its either free and illegal, or legal and pay for (Napster, itunes)

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
beorhthelm said:
Sorry to say you've been had. The software you've received and installed is apparently a program called sharezilla thats repackaged. This softweare accesses the Gnutella network but i gather its used to transmitt adverts across the network rather than share files.

Thats the good news

The bad news is it installs spyware that sacns your computer and sends of listing to the mothership. That mothership is likly to be RIAA (record industry association of america), so they can sue you for all the MP3 youve downloaded. Dont worry, they're american so can do bugger all, but get rid of it asap.

Uninstall, then download Spybot and clearup the crap its left. Then chalk this one up to experience.

The lesson: dont pay for stuff on the net from people who you've never heard of, and dont believe anyone who puts the words MP3, free and legal in the same sentance or website. They simply arent. Its either free and illegal, or legal and pay for (Napster, itunes)

Do you have some evidence of all this or is it just hearsay? iv'e seen absolutely no sign of advertising and my McAfee has not detected any sign of spyware. If it's dodgy I will probably get shot of it but I would like a bit more info than a post on NSC (no disrespect intended) before I make a judgement. Are other downloading programs linke winmx safe?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
heresay its has to be said - do a search on google for yourself. But it reeks to high heaven:

No phone number on webpage
Do you use this site: http://mp3downloading.com/mp3uv1/support.asp , or this site: http://mp3downloading.com/mdn/support.asp ?
Those domain names registered (eventually) to some non-descript domain hosting company.
Searches for other p2p software has paid for links to MP3downloads on Google (implicating RIAA involvement).
30million users, yet it uses a third party, MarketEngines, to handle payments.
MP3 or any copyrighted file cannot be download legally for free... any site that say so is at least lying and therefore untrustworthy.

Put it this way, i would install it let alone pay for it.

If you want to judge the safety of any software your going to download, check it out on the internet first, you'll soon find out if its dodge or not. WinMx is a good one though. Have a look at http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,8202,00.asp

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here