Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moving to Brighton, from Eastbourne

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Would need at least 3 bedroom as have children
How old? What school do you want them to get into etc? Sounds like a huge decision for you. Unfortunately prices in some areas are a bit crazy.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Compared to Newhaven, They're palacial:)
Nothing wrong with ex council houses. Normally well made and well maintained....and most have inside toilets!(I have three after vastly extending the property, all inside!)
The OP will be happy with Patcham. Good transport to town and gridlock out of it. The school isn't as bad as it used to be and the pikey site doesn't interfere with daily life. There isn't a fortnum and mason close to hand so he'll have to mingle with us peasants up at Asda.
One thing might be hard to adjust to though, unlike Eastbourne, Brighton doesn't close at 10pm

I leave myself wide open for some stick when I live in Newhaven :)

Yes some of the Coldean houses are a decent size and look well built.

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
Beat me to it. Good transport links adds about 10 mins to journey for more house for your money(OK shoreham isn't cheap either but better than withdean)

I'm shoreham born and bread, but going back to my roots would be boring, I would like to start a fresh, always wanted to live in Brighton/hove. Scary move for me and wife as kids are 2 and 5 years old. Been stressful as sold are home and need to get moving

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
I have no problem with coldean, just estate agent gave me papers for 3 bed there for £300k. moved once before without knowing a area to find out I was paying a mortgage and working hard to live next to a housing association bum , who used to tell me : I wouldn't buy here, I only
Live here because it's paid for, that's why I'm careful now

albionite

May 20, 2009
I'm shoreham born and bread, but going back to my roots would be boring, I would like to start a fresh, always wanted to live in Brighton/hove. Scary move for me and wife as kids are 2 and 5 years old. Been stressful as sold are home and need to get moving

There is always ovingdean and rottingdean but you may find these a little quiet if you are after city life.

Not to mention longhill is a shit school if your kids are that age.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So what exactly do you want?

What do you want from the location - remote, family area outside of town, near the sea, near the city?
What do you want from the property - bungalow or semi out of town, garden flat nearer the centre?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
With that budget he may want to consider more urban areas like Hanover and Queens Park.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
So what exactly do you want?

What do you want from the location - remote, family area outside of town, near the sea, near the city?
What do you want from the property - bungalow or semi out of town, garden flat nearer the centre?

Family friendly, close to a23 for my/wife commuting, 3 min bed house freehold, some where family can go for walks. Not in hussle and bussle, my wife never lived any where else but Eastbourne

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
Think I probably stick with westdene 1st, then patcham 2nd..
Don't think saltean/rottingdean any good looks like a commuters hell, when I go past the Amex junction in rush hour :sick:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Family friendly, close to a23 for my/wife commuting, 3 min bed house freehold, some where family can go for walks.
Cool. I don't live or know those areas, but plenty will. It might be difficult on the budget, but it would be nice if you find somewhere with potential to extend (up or out) in the future.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Think I probably stick with westdene 1st, then patcham 2nd..
Don't think saltean/rottingdean any good looks like a commuters hell, when I go past the Amex junction in rush hour :sick:

Both good choices, I would be happy to live in both areas if I moved back to Brighton.

Patcham would be my choice, I went to school there and my son plays football for Patcham, so I'm over there most weekends.
Near the A23 / A27 and countryside not too far away for walks.
I think someone has mentioned about the bus from the pub to the Amex.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Saltdean. That's the clear and obvious answer. :thumbsup:

Very much my plan, but currently in Telscombe Cliffs (by the Tye) and love it. Great for transport, nicest neighbours I've ever had (albiet a tad elderly!) but would like to move to East Saltdean if the right property came available.

One thing I don't like in Saltdean, I notice they closed the old folks home on the Vale and seemed to have made it a home for vagrants. Massively brought the area down IMO,

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Family friendly, close to a23 for my/wife commuting, 3 min bed house freehold, some where family can go for walks. Not in hussle and bussle, my wife never lived any where else but Eastbourne

Hassocks, Keymer, Hurstpierpoint.Good places to live 15 mins from Brighton. V close to A23. 400k you`ll easily get three bed house in nice area.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here