Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Moving next to a venue...and then making a noise complaint

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The partner of the man whose noise complaint against Manchester’s famous Night & Day music venue could see it close has told a court he has become a “recluse” and lost 30kg due to stress.

Speaking at Manchester magistrates court on Wednesday, he said the couple had moved out in May as living near to the venue was not sustainable, due to the noise and fears for their safety after the complaint.

Night & Day were served with a noise abatement notice from Manchester city council in November due to complaints from a neighbouring flat. The couple moved into their home during lockdown and first submitted a complaint when the venue reopened.

Obviously someone suffering from stress and losing that much weight is nothing to be laughed at. But. They must have known that noise would be an issue when the venue inevitably re-opened after lockdown. Shirley.

I once rented a flat which had the Engine Rooms at the back of it. My landlady at the time asked once if we'd ever had to make a noise complaint and I was baffled. No, of course not. I knew the flat had a club next door. I knew there would be noise.

You hear similar stories of people moving into areas with a local pub and then complaining about drunk people being a bit loud on the way home. Yeah, it's annoying but you moved there.

I don't get it. Perhaps I'm being too unfair :shrug:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yeah - there needs to be safeguards in place against this. Even more so if they are new build apartments / properties near late night venues.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
boils my piss people do this. move to city centre and complain about the noise, move to the country and complain about the smell.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yeah - there needs to be safeguards in place against this. Even more so if they are new build apartments / properties near late night venues.
I heard Guy Garvey talking about this case and he says the flats were built after the venue had been going for years.

It's pretty simple research to do anyway.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Its a growing issue, there are cases of people moving into new builds on industrial estates, and then making complaints about the noise, I think someone moved next to the Ranleigh pub in James Street, (then a music pub) and then complained about the music!

In Worthing someone moved next to a petrol station with a car wash, then made complaints about the car wash, which ultimatley resulted in the car wash being removed (Mr Nickbrighton used to be a manager of petrol stations and this happened to his colleagu

I think Australia have a law that prohibits complaints against an exisiting venue when someone moves close by.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
You have to wonder about the Estate agents, cowboy charlatans who sold a property during lockdown knowing there would be no noise complaints in this time and that it would only be a problem once things return to normal?

Surely this is like getting a flat overlooking a railway line then complaining about trains coming through?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
You have to wonder about the Estate agents, cowboy charlatans who sold a property during lockdown knowing there would be no noise complaints in this time and that it would only be a problem once things return to normal?
I was an estate agent once. For my sins. Awful profession populated with awful people. I didn't last long. But yes absolutely their primary concern would be that sweet, sweet bonus on completion.

Bastards.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I grew up in Cambridge and there is an excellent venue there - The Corn Exchange. It's where I saw most of my early gigs, and is an important part of the city.

In the 80s, the University opened up student accommodation next door, and then pressured the council to close the venue down - which they did, for several years. The equivalent would be The Dome being closed because of noise complaints. A perfect example of the 'Town v Gown' division that there is in that city.

Eventually sense prevailed, and it was opened up again, but FFS, music venues are vital parts of a city. If you live near one, expect to be disturbed.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Didn't a few pubs in Brighton lose their live music licenses because of exactly this? Obviously people have a right to live without constant noise intruding but a bit of common sense is needed surely?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Didn't a few pubs in Brighton lose their live music licenses because of exactly this? Obviously people have a right to live without constant noise intruding but a bit of common sense is needed surely?
Think The Blind Tiger Club (previously Hector's House, now Brewdog?) had this issue.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Clear and present (well future, anyways) danger to the Prince Albert upcoming, as reported in the Argus in the Summer. Yours truly even made an extremely rare foray into the comments section to give them a heads-up

'Plans to demolish building next to the Prince Albert in Brighton submitted'​

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think the Free Butt got closed because people in the new developments nearby complained. But yes, people who do this are complete tossers.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Are the people who do this better or worse than the people who let others use their away tickets and then complain about being banned?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I think the Free Butt got closed because people in the new developments nearby complained. But yes, people who do this are complete tossers.
this was certainly my memory. They built a load of flats next door and the complaints started flooding in

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I feel lucky to have seen so many great bands in the Free Butt, Pressure Point, Ocean Rooms, Hanbury Ballroom back in the day. Are there many small gig venues left in Brighton nowadays?
The Hope and Ruin put on some good shows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here