Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mourinho

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Manchester United and class? Don't people realise this a an oxymoron? They have traditionally been the biggest spenders in the league. All this bollox about bringing kids through is based on the class of 92. Who has come through since? lt's all a smoke screen created by Alex Ferguson who was very good at that.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm pretty sure it's not the first time this season ssn and the bbc (and the press in general) have made a big story out of Mourinho supposedly going to united. In April it was being reported he had a verbal agreement, at other points when they've been (for them) struggling, Mourinho has been reported as being in the wings, only for LVG to win a game and the Mourinho coming in stuff died down.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Is it wrong of me to hope this latest Man U experiment goes even more pear-shaped than the last? I've had a word with myself but no, I still fervently hope it ends in embarrassing disaster. Bad boy....

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The biggest club in the world and the biggest m,anager in the world, match made in heaven or hell?? Richard Scudamore will certainly be hoping for the former.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'd love to see Mo and Pep take a challenge and not just the easy jobs like so many managers.Leicester's win this season has reminded me how boring football can be with always the same teams winning.

I am sure I'll be proved wrong, but I don't think City will be all that next season.

He won't be used to not having the best side in the league and 50% of the games being walk overs.

I give it 6 months before he starts moaning about the fixtures

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think this'll be fun. The pressure and expectation is going to be absolutely enormous not just to make top 4, but to win something - and I don't think the Carling Cup will cut it. I'm hoping he brings in a past-his-best Ibrahimovic, then we can watch these monumental egos spiral out of control as the whole thing combusts and eventually collapses into a hissing, seething mass of recrimination, bile, bitterness and rancour.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I am sure I'll be proved wrong, but I don't think City will be all that next season.

He won't be used to not having the best side in the league and 50% of the games being walk overs.

that long? he'll need 3-4 new faces to freshen up the squad. defender, midfielder, striker, as about every team needs to improve. if he gets his targets, the squad work to his methods, he'll spank everyone. if either doesn't happen he'll get frustrated, then as you say how to respond to a 0-0 at home to Stoke or Burnley.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

The season starts in August, 6 months puts it at February before he complains. I think you're being very generous. You're skipping over "we have winter breaks everywhere else in Europe, why not in England, it's madness" and "I don't get this fixation with playing on boxing day", and of course "In spain, if you play in Europe on a wednesday, they don't make you play on the saturday"

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I don't think there's all that much difference in the Mourinho approach to a season to the Ferguson approach.

Mourinho's Chelsea teams especially their last title winning one played some very attractive football and scored goals for fun up to Christmas/New Year and then played with more circumspection afterwards, grinding out results to get the job done.

United under Ferguson relished playing attacking football, but Ferguson could be a pragmatist too, depending on what he had at his disposal. They clawed Newcastle back in 1995/96 by continuing to win matches 1-0 (usually from Cantona) and when they won their last title in Ferguson's final season in 2012/13, they were playing quite cavalier football up to Christmas (trailing 3-1 at Reading, coming back to win 4-3) but they then tightened up, went on a run of conceding 3 goals in 10 matches and pretty much wrapped up the title during that sequence.

Mourinho will know full well what the expectation is there in terms of style of football and he will respect that, but he will focus first on results.

While there are certain positions that will need strengthening there (centre back, holding midfielder, quick winger), I don't think it will necessarily need to be as drastic as some people have said. There are players there that are quite capable but who clearly Van Gaal did not get the best out of, whereas Mourinho should be better equipped to do so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here