Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mourinho and Spurs ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Good thread [MENTION=11928]vegster[/MENTION]. Although you whoosed a few it seems.

Yes, totally different. The man is facinating. I remember his quip about not treating all the players the same, back in the day. Emotional intelligence. Winner. Then some disasters....the 'cat who has just had his fish supper stolen' look. Sackings.

But he's back in London, chastened, yet living at home with his settled family, and given another chance. No, matey, you can't buy all the best players in the world, then sell some of them on a whim. You coach what we have and then I'll see about adding to the squad. OK matey? At Spurs we are frugal (but wealthy), strategic and connected (between the owner and the fans). An English club. So, matey, can you coach?

Yes he ****ing can.

Chastened, perhaps. Unlikey to bait other managers as crudely as he baited Wenger. Perhaps more patient with his flakier players. Massively pumped by the win today. Says it all.

Let's face it. He isn't quite like the rest of us. I'm 'on the spectrum' and I can (now) recognise a fellow traveller. But I think he's amazing. Probably not for us, but right now he and Spuds are a perfect fit. And.....a joy to watch. And I absolutely hated watching his Chelsea. :shrug:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Good thread [MENTION=11928]vegster[/MENTION]. Although you whoosed a few it seems.

Yes, totally different. The man is facinating. I remember his quip about not treating all the players the same, back in the day. Emotional intelligence. Winner. Then some disasters....the 'cat who has just had his fish supper stolen' look. Sackings.

But he's back in London, chastened, yet living at home with his settled family, and given another chance. No, matey, you can't buy all the best players in the world, then sell some of them on a whim. You coach what we have and then I'll see about adding to the squad. OK matey? At Spurs we are frugal (but wealthy), strategic and connected (between the owner and the fans). An English club. So, matey, can you coach?

Yes he ****ing can.

Chastened, perhaps. Unlikey to bait other managers as crudely as he baited Wenger. Perhaps more patient with his flakier players. Massively pumped by the win today. Says it all.

Let's face it. He isn't quite like the rest of us. I'm 'on the spectrum' and I can (now) recognise a fellow traveller. But I think he's amazing. Probably not for us, but right now he and Spuds are a perfect fit. And.....a joy to watch. And I absolutely hated watching his Chelsea. :shrug:

vegster whooshed no one, as [MENTION=5306]Questions[/MENTION] started the thread. :)

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
The fact people don't remember says it all, they were instantly forgetable. Parking the bus, stifling games and hitting teams on the break is easy, building a title winning side with style that people remember fondly is much harder.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

N17

Jun 21, 2011
Second most goals scored
Joint best goal difference
Best defensive record
Just got 7 points from Chelsea (A), City & Woolwich with no goals conceded
Harry Kane reached 250 career goals faster than any other player apart from Messi
Kane & Son have 31 assists as a paring vs a record 36 (Lampard & Drogba)
Kane as the record number of goals in NLDs.

Under Poch we played great football at times but won nothing. Media 'Spursy'.
Under Jose we play pragmatic winning football. Media 'boring'.

Personally i'm loving it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Did he win his titles with Chelsea playing like this ?
I really can’t remember.

Never mind titles, he won the Champions League with Porto, playing far more defensively than Spurs do now. He is simply a pragmatist, but a very thorough one. To be honest, I'm full of admiration for the bloke. I thought he was a busted flush but he has clearly still got it.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
He’s turned Aurier And Dier into into players who can actually defend, I’m critical of Dier for England but watching spurs last few games I have to admit I’ve been incredibly impressed by him defensively and Aurier looks like a different player than that headless moron of a few seasons ago.

You can call Mourinho boring and maybe he is, but there is more to football than attacking coaching and I think nowadays there is a lot of skill in setting up a team that can look as defensively solid as Tottenham do at the moment. Not saying I really enjoy it as a neutral but I do appreciate defensive coaching.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
All I'll add is that there is absolutely nothing boring seeing Kane and Son turn on the turbo from their own half, with the ball ending up in the net 5 seconds later. That, for me, is exhilarating football.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Don't Care !

He is a '' Nob-Edd '' and I don't want Spurs to win the League whilst he is in charge. Normally I like Spurs but I would even prefer Liverpool to win it than him and that is saying something.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He’s turned Aurier And Dier into into players who can actually defend, I’m critical of Dier for England but watching spurs last few games I have to admit I’ve been incredibly impressed by him defensively and Aurier looks like a different player than that headless moron of a few seasons ago.

You can call Mourinho boring and maybe he is, but there is more to football than attacking coaching and I think nowadays there is a lot of skill in setting up a team that can look as defensively solid as Tottenham do at the moment. Not saying I really enjoy it as a neutral but I do appreciate defensive coaching.

The job Mourinho has done is incredible, everything has fallen into place:

1. Quality summer acquisitions (Hojbjerg, Reguilon, Doherty, Carlos Vinicius)
2. Players in the form of their lives (Kane, Son, Lloris)
3. Winning mentality introduced into dressing room (Bale, Hart)
4. Dodgy players now playing consistently good football (Aurier, Dier, Ndombele)
5. Players that were unsettled now happy (Alderweireld)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
vegster whooshed no one, as [MENTION=5306]Questions[/MENTION] started the thread. :)

That's what I thought when i just saw my mention ! Bloody hell, what on earth did I type that impressed HWT THAT much !:ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here