Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mounie red card..(Hudds lodge - and lose - appeal)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For me its all about intent.

If he is genuinely trying to win the ball, then for me its a yellow. I still think Stephens at Cardiff was a yellow and Stephens at Boro wasn't even a foul, but even if you accept that Stephens should have got a red at Cardiff I still think Mounie's was a yellow. Ditto Balogun's challenge later

If he deliberately thought he's just leave his foot in and catch Bissouma, then its a red all day long.

My suspicion is that Oliver has called the second one and done him on a nasty piece of gamesmanship. My feeling from Mounie's less than overt protests is that he knows he's bang to rights.

Intent is the not the deciding factor, otherwise reds would be rare. No need to copy and paste the modern rules yet again in this thread, but it’s all there in black and white.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
If all the Daily Mail haters can bring themselves to read the match report in today's paper they will see a brilliant close up of the incident together with Chris Foy's opinion.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
... the King Canute’s bizarrely interpreting the incident under old school football.

As an aside from the posters on here ...I have just listened (for my sins) to Talksport ..and Raymondo Parlour and the lady presenter both though it was clearly a poor decision ..she had seen it from one angle which apparently wasn't the refs..oh and hadn't seen the 'penalty one' ..but referred to it as Pascal bring down Pritchard ...erm no...watch it lass and then talk about it!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Intent is the not the deciding factor, otherwise reds would be rare. No need to copy and paste the modern rules yet again in this thread, but it’s all there in black and white.

For you maybe. But not for referees, as intent plays no part in the laws.

I didn't say that the ref was determining it based on intent. I'm saying that if there was no intent it was a mistimed tackle by Mounie, which should in my opinion be a yellow card. If there was intent, then Mounie was kicking out at Bissouma, which is violent conduct / serious foul play, and always a red card.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Just seen the sending of on Match of the Day. I think that Chris Houghton would say, he gave the referee a decision to make. I think Balogun wasn't a sending off and no penalty.

wealdgull

NSC Patron
Dec 7, 2017
6893760-6449917-image-a-29_1543701472624.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I didn't say that the ref was determining it based on intent. I'm saying that if there was no intent it was a mistimed tackle by Mounie, which should in my opinion be a yellow card. If there was intent, then Mounie was kicking out at Bissouma, which is violent conduct / serious foul play, and always a red card.

I do understand your view. But the game has moved on, and it’s a straight red challenge.

My personal opinion, for what’s it’s worth, is that Mounie was a snide and wanted it to leave a little on Bissouma. Goes on every match with studs mysteriously always exactly landing on the instep or achilles.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I do understand your view. But the game has moved on, and it’s a straight red challenge.

My personal opinion, for what’s it’s worth, is that Mounie was a snide and wanted it to leave a little on Bissouma. Goes on every match with studs mysteriously always exactly landing on the instep or achilles.

Agree...his reaction indicated as much as well. No real protest.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I think what we want to be a red, and what the new laws state is a red, are two different things to some of us.

Huddersfield may well appeal, but won't win because it was interpreted to be a red by the referee, who was in a good position. Appeals are rarely successful, and when they are it is for glaring mistakes or when the ref has sent off the wrong person.

It's a shame that Stephens and Mounie where sent off for the sake of a good game, but until the rules are changed we will see many more sides going down to 10 men.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Graham Poll emphatically cleared up the subject on intent last year:

“Fifteen years ago it wouldn't have been a red card offence because it used to be that it had to be intentional. But now that's taken away.

“You've made the intent by leaving your foot that high and so you have to live with the consequences.

“Apart from handball, any other offence in terms of intent has been taken out.

“It's actually the offence you do, rather than what you mean to do”.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think what we want to be a red, and what the new laws state is a red, are two different things to some of us.

Huddersfield may well appeal, but won't win because it was interpreted to be a red by the referee, who was in a good position. Appeals are rarely successful, and when they are it is for glaring mistakes or when the ref has sent off the wrong person.

It's a shame that Stephens and Mounie where sent off for the sake of a good game, but until the rules are changed we will see many more sides going down to 10 men.

Mounie was sent off because it was a straight red offence under 21st century rules and interpretation. Excellent refereeing. Zero grounds for a frivalous appeal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here