Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Motorbikes

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
And I was working in Redhill Motors [Brighton branch} in 1976
Switched to the Lewes branch in 1979 before it closed in 1983?
You may have fitted my rack and top-box?!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I've raced Brands, Indy, GP, OP and Cadwell, all great, all in a car though. Not sure I have a favourite, Brands for location obviously.

I raced bikes from 1979 to 1986: Lydden, Brands [GP & Indy], Mallory, Thruxton, Snetterton, Silverstone, Donnington, oh & Brighton Seafront one year I did the Speed Trials.
Started on my road-going RD400 after a 3 x speeding totting-up disqualification. Then 2 x TZ 350 + TZ250, RG500 and a GSXR750.
Also worked in the bike trade for a good few years - Redhill Motors [Brighton & Lewes] and then Franklynn Motorcycles in H/H

Happy days ...

Not even cocked my leg over a motorbike now for 30 years - still watch MotoGP and get an adrenalin rush sitting on my sofa.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Worked in the stores upstairs so you probably paid me for your job-card [workshop job]?

Around that time I bought a load of parts in there for my CB250. I'd saved up for months for the parts which should have been about 80 quid. Whoever served me, misread the invoice and charged me 8 pounds and something - as a broke 19 year old I couldn't believe my luck - I paid up and left. Feel guilty about it to this day.... I hope whoever served me didn't get into too much trouble.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
You may have fitted my rack and top-box?!

That's what she said.

Michael-Scott-Misquotations-Office-Video.jpg

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I raced bikes from 1979 to 1986: Lydden, Brands [GP & Indy], Mallory, Thruxton, Snetterton, Silverstone, Donnington, oh & Brighton Seafront one year I did the Speed Trials.
Started on my road-going RD400 after a 3 x speeding totting-up disqualification. Then 2 x TZ 350 + TZ250, RG500 and a GSXR750.
Also worked in the bike trade for a good few years - Redhill Motors [Brighton & Lewes] and then Franklynn Motorcycles in H/H

Happy days ...

Not even cocked my leg over a motorbike now for 30 years - still watch MotoGP and get an adrenalin rush sitting on my sofa.

Bet you wish you had kept one of your TZ's - stupid money for one these days.

Had several Yamaha Road Strokers (250/350/400) and always wondered what a TZ would be like?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Motorbikes seem very dangerous to me , at least with a car you have some metal around you for protection with a bike it’s you taking the brunt of it . No idea why anyone would take an unnecessary risk with a bike . Noisy as well .

D

Deleted member 2719

Wrong thread:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Motorbikes seem very dangerous to me , at least with a car you have some metal around you for protection with a bike it’s you taking the brunt of it . No idea why anyone would take an unnecessary risk with a bike . Noisy as well .

You're more likely to die of obesity and plenty of people take that risk. Smelly as well.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

You’ll probably find the majority of bikers like a noisy exhaust so that inconsiderate dickhead car drivers might hear us coming. As my dad says, “loud pipes save lives”.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Just seen that Honda are offering new riders a free one hour training session on a 125cc motorbike and they will provide helmet, gloves, and jacket.

Great chance if you are interested or thought about riding without having to commit to anything.

My daughters been thinking about doing her CBT so she has booked on the one in Exeter, she can try it out without costing her anything.

https://www.morebikes.co.uk/news/26...ve-biking-a-go/?dm_i=6RAG,IZBP,2N09C2,2BL9S,1

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
You’ll probably find the majority of bikers like a noisy exhaust so that inconsiderate dickhead car drivers might hear us coming. As my dad says, “loud pipes save lives”.

Which is why I have a Yoshimura Race Exhaust fitted to my CBR. Anyone that doesn't like it won't be listening to it for long... :lolol:

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

Well it’s probably not much of an exaggeration saying that coming back to riding has saved my life, going in to my 50s suffering with the menopause that feels like a dementor sucking out every bit of the joy and confidence that I used to have, I thought there was nothing left to enjoy and had bad depression. Getting back on a motorbike again after 20 years away scared the sh!t out of me, but also made me feel a live. I don’t take the risks I did in my 20’s mostly stick to speed limits and going at my own pace. I would be more scared riding a bicycle on the road as a motorbike keeps up with traffic.

I don’t think I am the only one that finds riding a bike is good for their mental health

A58A9102-1F56-46B8-8758-8BB4D5B3D01E.jpeg

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

Not sure if this has been posted on here.
I really don't like bikes, but this is a sport I could get into, looks great fun! Some of the goals are quality too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Not sure if this has been posted on here.
I really don't like bikes, but this is a sport I could get into, looks great fun! Some of the goals are quality too.

And just like real football Germany win. I wonder if a motorcycle can be fitted with a reverse gear so players like Dale Stephens can get involved?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Well it’s probably not much of an exaggeration saying that coming back to riding has saved my life, going in to my 50s suffering with the menopause that feels like a dementor sucking out every bit of the joy and confidence that I used to have, I thought there was nothing left to enjoy and had bad depression. Getting back on a motorbike again after 20 years away scared the sh!t out of me, but also made me feel a live. I don’t take the risks I did in my 20’s mostly stick to speed limits and going at my own pace. I would be more scared riding a bicycle on the road as a motorbike keeps up with traffic.

I don’t think I am the only one that finds riding a bike is good for their mental health

Nope, not the only one: it's backed by science!

From that link:

Results Highlights:

- Riding a motorcycle decreased hormonal biomarkers of stress by 25%
- Sensory focus was enhanced while riding a motorcycle versus driving a car, an effect also observed in experienced meditators vs non-meditators
- Changes in study participants’ brain activity while riding suggested an increase in alertness similar to drinking a cup of coffee

From memory, that's not the only study to link motorcycle riding with improved mental health. Also from memory, regular motorcycle riding is also considered good for physical health - in particular it helps with core strength.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Having ridden scooters for 30 odd years, it was great to get back onto a ‘big’ bike. I hadn’t ridden anything bigger than a scooter since passing my bike test in 2004 but I totally agree about getting out there, at my own pace, has definitely helped my ph levels. I don’t need my head down, arse in the air type of riding, am very happy flitting between the scooter and a Bonneville

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here