Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most surreal atmosphere at a game?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Final game of the 1977/78 season. The Albion needed to win and Southampton were playing Spurs on the same day. If one of Southampton or Spurs won, then an Albion victory meant we were promoted.

The whole of the 90 minutes was spent surrounding people with radios, and the match was played to a near capacity crowd but in near silence. The other two teams contrived a 0-0 draw without a shot on targer all game that ensured they both went up in a major stitch up of the sporting integrity.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think the really surreal ones have to be as a result of other, more important factors that render the football irrelevant. So if there's one to beat the Heysel final, I've yet to read it. I just couldn't believe they were playing the game with 50-odd already killed. The same was true of matches the week following Hillsborough, and that's really why I didn't go to the September 11 game at Withdean in 2001, even though I had a ticket.

On a slightly less depressing note, there were a number of matches that were surreal in the purely 'footballing' sense when we were at the bottom of Div Three. The 0-0 against Donny at Gillingham was virtually a different sport it was so bad. And at the penalties home defeat to Sudbury, I was really struggling to believe it had really happened.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
One game sticks out by a mile and that was the 2nd last game against the Os at the goldstone in a 4-4 draw.

The atmosphere was pure hate and mini invasions and recall that tall butch fan about 7" tall attacking Os players and wilkings crapping it and about 8 coppers to pin the lad down etc.

Very strange atmosphere and you could feel there was goner be probs:)

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
The home game against Swindon, after Hillsbrough.
As I recall, the Albion were as enthusiastic as we were & we were beaten 2 or 3 Nil.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
One springs to mind

The fireworks game in season 96/97, cannot remember the opposition but everyone was waiting for the fireworks to go off outside the ground as the cue to leave the North en masse

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
wasn't there but I watched some of spain's friendly against ecuador last year which they won 4-0. nothing to odd about an international friendly but this was being played in atletico madrid's vicente calderon stadium (around 50-55000) capacity and it was FULL of ecuador fans, all in yellow and all roundly booing the home side whenever they touched the ball. imagine england playing in london against foreign opposition and the stadium being 90-10% in the other teams favour.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
FANS UNITED!!!!!!!!!
all the banners(burnely,charlton etc) and the chants about matthew harding(ex chelsea legend)
a horrible misty day and the 5-0 scoreline...will never be forgotten

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Brighton v Donny Rovers in 1997, knowing that this was the last time I'd ever go to the Goldstone. The sound of the West Stand being ripped apart by fans after the game. Everyone trying to get souvenirs to take home.

Yeah, that was a surreal game.

Downloaded Penguin said:
Brighton v Donny Rovers in 1997.........................................The sound of the West Stand being ripped apart by fans after the game.

That was a strange one, but more sad than anything. Agree with the second bit though, walking around the pitch in a daze in the pouring rain to the backdrop of the sound of wooden seats being broken up. Just a huge montage of clunks and cracks.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
First League game at Priestfield vs Macclesfield. Blisteringly hot, half empty stadium in Kent, got lost in Strood in the way there: and this was a home game!

The strangest non-Albion game was a friendly between Dynamo Moscow and Levski Spartak at the Dynamo Stadium in Moscow in the Summer of 76. The tiny crowd, mostly familiies and wizened old women, were heavily outnumbered by armed Soviet soldiers who filled the front 3 rows, and stood and turned round to face what were mostly empty seats whenever a goal was scored. Towards the end of the game an old woman in a shawl walked up to me and, for no obvious reason, tweaked my nose. Bizarre.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Feyenoord vs Vitesse Arnhem

Every time a player got injured and the trainer had to come on, everyone around me got their keys out and started jangling them! Absolutely no idea why and never have found out.

It also turned out to be Johnny Metgod's (ex-forest when they were good) retirement game.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
The Hereford Game,because of what could happen to us at the back of my mind for the whole game.

The last game at the Goldstone for purely sentimental reasons of never going back to a place I grew up and watched The Albion.

The first game at Gillingham,just strange being at home but watching it in Kent.

Mind you the best thing about the first game at Gillingham was we were sat right next to Bellotti and his wife,and we gave him pure abuse for the whole time he sat there,and on Monday Morning there was a bit about us in" The Sun!!":clap2:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Storer68 said:
I went to the Tottenham-Luzern game. Lovely sunny day - No programme, no team sheet, one team packed with current internationals, the other packed with a load of Northampton Town players who were not taking summer holidays abroad.....

Yeah I went to that one, although to this day I've no idea why.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not sure if this has been mentioned? An evening game at the Goldstone after HMS Sheffield got hit by an Exocet in the Falklands. The football seemed an irrelevance.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Nothing that exciting, only any away game at Watford....soulless atmosphere!
Last night at Oxford, EM having a minor hissy fit!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here