Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most Passionate Support?

HackneyMan

Sep 21, 2010
Now for those of us old enough its a "given" that a floodlit evening fixture at The OLD Den, MILLWALL was the noisiest and most passionate place in the League.

The serried ranks of those fervent fans contributed to Millwall breaking the Football League record of 59 Home matches, without defeat ( since betterred by Liverpool and now Chelski )_.In that same period they lost 22 Away games!
I
The NEW Den, Millwall pales POORLY by comparison, sad to say.

So what grounds have you witnessed the most passionate Home support?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
MK Dons.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
On TV Everton seem to have passionate fans, whenever they score, even if it is a last minute consolation goal the crowd behind the one end seem to go crazy.

:yahoo:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I stood once in the Stretford End , Old Trafford and the atmosphere was electric.

The best atmosphere I have ever experienced was when I was taken whilst on business to Anfield back in the early 80's and the bloke who took me was a regular Kopite. It was gainst Leeds and it was by far and away the best time I had as a football fan ( not supporting the Albion - if that makes sense) I started about three quarters way up the Kop and by the end of the game was about 20 yards from the front. When Liverpool scored, its was just incredibe.

FlownWest

Aug 10, 2010
Leeds away support is the best I've seen, followed by Rangers. I'm guessing Celtic, Villa, as well as Liverpool and other major northern city clubs are up there.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
The best atmosphere I have ever experienced was when I was taken whilst on business to Anfield back in the early 80's and the bloke who took me was a regular Kopite. It was gainst Leeds and it was by far and away the best time I had as a football fan ( not supporting the Albion - if that makes sense) I started about three quarters way up the Kop and by the end of the game was about 20 yards from the front. When Liverpool scored, its was just incredibe.

Liverpool have to be up there. Dortmond have great fans and several teams in Turkey

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Ladies and Gentlemen, i throw Rochdale in the arena.

Any team that spends 30+ years in the basement division with no promotions in 50 odd years, deserves recignition for being able to attract enough fans to survive as a professional team.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
For the volume of the singing and the number of people joining in, plus the length of time and passion, it has to be River Plate.

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
On TV Everton seem to have passionate fans, whenever they score, even if it is a last minute consolation goal the crowd behind the one end seem to go crazy.

:yahoo:

Goodison Park must have good acoustics?
I've been there 3 times ... and each time I've thought how loud it was, yet the attendance figures were barely 30,000 each time?

Gav1901

Banned
May 14, 2008
Southwick
Liverpool on a European night.

Chelsea have got much much better.

Millwall can have an electric atmosphere at times but it's rare now.

Leeds have cracking away support, a big night at Elland Road can have a decent atmosphere aswell.

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Now for those of us old enough its a "given" that a floodlit evening fixture at The OLD Den, MILLWALL was the noisiest and most passionate place in the League........

I'm old enough to have visited the OLD Den several times in the late 60's & 70's.
My memory must have erased the noise and the passion?

Sadly it will never erase the brutality of the pre-segregation days?

It seemed to me that every single game at the Old Den in those days was an excuse for thuggery and mayhem?

I can still picture the poor bloke a few steps above me on the terracing one game, chatting to a few Millwall 'fans'?
"What do you think of Alex Stepney" .. asked Millwall?
"To be honest, I don't rate him" .. says Brighton fan.

Whooosh ....

Out of nowhere, without warning, one of the Millwall had produced a bicycle chain and whipped the Brighton fan two or three times right across the side of his face.
Poor guy was lying on the terrace with blood pouring out of his cheek and the Millwall thugs just ambled off. Not another word was spoken by them as they went.

I wasn't very old at the time, but I've never ever forgotten that day.
I'm guessing the victim was probably scarred for life by the attack ... and even if he wasn't, I certainly was.

I've been to literally hundreds of live matches in my lifetime ... and that was easily the most shocking and violent incident I've ever witnessed, and as a result of that, and the fact that Millwall did similar things every game in those days, I will be a lifelong hater of all things Millwall I'm afraid?

Of course there are good Millwall fans out there now ... and you might be one of them Hackneyman ... but let nobody try and pull a smokescreen over events by talking about 'noise' and 'passion' at the Old Den, and somehow pretend that Millwall's past at the Old Den, was anything other than shameful.

Rant over!
:wave:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
When I was working in North London back in the 80s I went to a few Spurs European games at the 'old' Lane; the atmosphere was absolutely electric. For bog-standard 'workaday' league games I have to say I think the Sunderland fans at Roker Park generated an incredible atmpshphere. Ditto St Pauli in Germany.

Having said all that the best atmosphere EVER was at the Goldstone when we beat Ipswich in the League Cup. Those of you not there in the 1970s think of the best Brighton atmsophere you've ever experienced (Virgo equalising against Swindon for example) and then multiply it by a factor of at least ten.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
Of the grounds visited over the last 5 years, it has to be Stoke (since they have been in the Premiership), Their fans and the atmosphere kept them up in that first season.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
For the volume of the singing and the number of people joining in, plus the length of time and passion, it has to be River Plate.

I'm assuming by that comment you haven't been to see Boca at the Bombonera?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I'm assuming by that comment you haven't been to see Boca at the Bombonera?

I might be really stupid here.

Boca v River Plate is one of the biggest, if not THE biggest derby in the world right?

If it isthe right game then these two teams going at it is the best derby, with the best atmosphere and the best supporters in the world bar none. This country couldn't even compete with our pathetic rivalries to this war.

If its not the right two teams, then ignore this :thumbsup:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Don't know what they are like now they have reached the Premier League, but Stoke always gave it a go.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Only went to the old Den once. I was a kid. the windscreen on the coach got bricked. Can't say I especially enjoyed it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here