Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

most or all Hydrant gigs moved/cancelled...

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Surprised there hasn't been a thread about this (at least not one I can see), but apparently at the weekend the new manager of the Hydrant announced she wasn't going to put gigs on any more. She wants to turn it into a wedding reception venue, apparently! Several staff have reportedly walked out and most promoters have pulled their gigs from the venue and moved them elsewhere. In many cases (eg punk legends Chelsea, ska band The Slackers and chap hopper Professor Elemental) no alternative venue could be found, so dozens of gigs have been cancelled altogether. The pub's telephone is disconnected, their website has gone, and there is talk that it may have closed (or be about to). Anybody heard anything about any of this? I'm just going on what I've picked up via friends on Facebook, but it sounds like a right shitstorm.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Would me making the point that there is no smoke without fire (Hydrant) help in any way at all?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I heard all sorts of stuff, none of it verifiable. The place is a grothole anyway, it's always closing down. Cos it's shit.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
This!

Wouldn't know where the hydrant actually is even if you paid me!

It's on Preston Circus. You can easily find it as it usually has teenagers playing really bad metal music really badly and really, really loudly. It's usually full of ghastly poor people and I believe has a slightly more upper class upstairs where bands that had limited success in the early 70's do gigs for drug money. Occassionaly the rather studenty, badly written Prof Elemental plays there. It's all a bit shit mate.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I once worked in a Little Chef on the Dorking roundabout. Some travelling folk has their wedding reception there. Cost them a pretty penny too. Heating up 120 frozen omelettes was the highlight of my little chef career.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As a small music venue it was fine. Shame that another small venue has biten the dust.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've walked past there many times and never had any desire to go inside, it just seems to have really REALLY loud and bad heavy metal music and some slightly odd looking kids standing outside.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Poo Pee Pants does that mean The M3T3ORS gig has gone ! and the south coast Psychobilly festival on the 21st !

Damn & Blast, I was looking forward to those gigs, not for the venue I dont care about just the gigs.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Poo Pee Pants does that mean The M3T3ORS gig has gone ! and the south coast Psychobilly festival on the 21st !

Meteors has switched to the Haunt. Any Punker Bunker gigs booked at the Hydrant, Buz has switched to either the Haunt or Prince Albert if they were available the same night. The ones where neither was available have been cancelled. Don't know about the psychobilly festival.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here