Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Most ludicrous (but great) live acts

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I saw many many rock and metal acts in the mid to late 80s and most were pure pantomime but, I add, excellent fun.

I remember Ronnie James Dio on The Sacred Heart tour fighting a dragon with a sword against a stage which was a fibre glass castle. And my missus laughing when I was recently watching the Maiden Live After Death recording and a wobbly polystyrene Eddie emerges from the stage. “What the **** is that?” She said. All good.

I believe the dragon was called Denzel! That was the last Dio tour I went to

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
I seem to remember being taken to a GWAR gig many years ago by a friend who was very enthusiastic. I remember phallic cannons filled with (hopefully) fake blood being part of the stage show. Musically not my thing, but still thoroughly entertaining.

I will never forget getting a taxi home that night, I wandered up caked in fake blood, there was a huge queue, and the people waiting took one look at me and said “you go first.”

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I wonder if it ever occurred to Lemmy that when even Hawkwind kick you out for taking too many drugs, they may have a point :lolol:

From the live acts in my dim and distant past, I would probably select Planet Gong and John Otway and Wild Willy Barret. Sadly both gigs prior to the digital age :(

It was all a terrible mistake, when the Canadian Border Authorities found the gear on on him they thought it was Cocaine (a Felony) but as ever with Lemmy it was Speed (a Misdemeanour) so he should never have been Banged Up. Terrible mistake by the Band to sack him as well, they hardly did anything worthwhile after...

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I seem to remember being taken to a GWAR gig many years ago by a friend who was very enthusiastic. I remember phallic cannons filled with (hopefully) fake blood being part of the stage show. Musically not my thing, but still thoroughly entertaining.

I will never forget getting a taxi home that night, I wandered up caked in fake blood, there was a huge queue, and the people waiting took one look at me and said “you go first.”

They're still on our planet and coming to Brighton in August: https://chalkvenue.com/live/gwar

Reading about RJD's swordfighting reminds me of seeing Van Halen at Donnington in the mid 80s. They were second on the bill behind AC/DC. The crowd went mad when three of the band left the stage for Eddie to play an extended solo, less so when the same thing happened for Alex's drum solo, even less so for Michael Anthony's extended bass solo and just stood there confused when David Lee Roth took his turn and did a sword display that looked like something out of a Vegas lounge act. I sometimes wondered whether I dreamt it, but these days Youtube has everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBzXQQzVL9U

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Laibach performing their take on 'The Sound Of Music' in North Korea takes some beating.

And finishing their tour with the best thing that has ever been posted on the internet https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SQORt5Y7Eqo

One of my fave bands - their version of the Beatles' 'Get Back' is brilliantly bonkers! Saw them at the Union Chapel, Islington, in the 1990s.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Heavy metal thrash with strobes, bubbles, an inaudible flute player, Stacia dancing (well moving around) and Lemmy on vocals.

Video comes from a performance in Dunstable - most memorable thing that ever happened there no doubt... :lolol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdTFeW8FCto

First band I ever saw live; Worthing Town Hall - sadly, without Stacia.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I believe the dragon was called Denzel! That was the last Dio tour I went to

They tailed off abit after Sacred Heart but that album and expecially the first two were superb.

I do look back on my teenage years with great fondness. Me and my gang saw pretty much every rock act you can name from that 80s period.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

More Laibach :)

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Black midi always put on an entertaining live show, low level choreographed fight scene, back flips on stage, odd Tracksuit / Suit combos. When I saw them at Green Man festival they brought out a mime troupe for their entire performance and gave us a rendition of Foundations by Kate Nash halfway through.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
When I went to see a band called Puscifer (Fronted by Tool’s Maynard James Keenan) they had a Mexican wrestling troupe as their support act.

00cf7bdd3cc3c18d23d01121dc521527.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I recall seeing the Bonzo Band back in the day but ...... This guy had the most theatrical and entertaining set when I saw him at a small gig in the Midlands

I saw him at the South Bank just over 10 years ago (when he was 69) and he was magnificent. He had a band mostly comprised of East European women. :thumbsup:

(Oh and some years earlier he played the Mount Ephraim festival near me, and did Fire with a string quartet. Insane!)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here