Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Most EXCITING player in the Championship

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
A conversation from Saturday which I'd like to throw open to NSC's broad footballing knowledge base...

Is there a more EXCITING player in the Championship than Anthony Knockaert?

In a word ....Definately not (okay two words) :)

Frankly when I discovered he wasn't available against Bristol, I feared the worst. Fortunately our strength in depth shone through. And although I have grumbled incessantly about 'International Breaks' impeding on 'Proper Football', I'm somewhat relieved on this occasion. Perhaps Lady Luck has decided to pay us a visit.....finally. ???

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
In a word ....Definately not (okay two words) :)

Frankly when I discovered he wasn't available against Bristol, I feared the worst. Fortunately our strength in depth shone through. And although I have grumbled incessantly about 'International Breaks' impeding on 'Proper Football', I'm somewhat relieved on this occasion. Perhaps Lady Luck has decided to pay us a visit.....finally. ???

Yes and of course the other two long-term injury victims have another 2 weeks to recover. I would think that LR should not be too far off?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Don't understand everyone saying Will Hughes. He's a decent centre mid who has been over hyped because of his age. He'd be on the bench if we had him in our squad.

But yes, there is no doubt that Knocky is the most exciting. Reminds me of Adel Taarabt in the championship for QPR a few years ago with his total dominance and skill.

when we say exciting its hard for that player to be anything other than a winger or front man... Hughes though is a top player in my opinion.

el punal

Didn't see it meself as it was up the other end, but didn't somebody report on here a couple of weeks back that AK skinned a couple of defenders at the Amex so comprehensively that they actually applauded him? If so, that's quite exceptional.

I think that was against Barnsley down in the south west corner. The thing is that he's done it so many times that every match he plays merges with the others! :bowdown:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I would say Will Hughes has a similar range of skills and influence on games. The pass for Bent's goal on Saturday was very good (as was the finish).

Will Hughes is my favourite non Albion player, I also think he can rival AK for skills and quality on the ball. He can open up defences for other players probably better than AK too IMO. That goal on Saturday was just plain brilliant from both Hughes and Bent.

Whether he is more exciting, no probably not but just as valuable,e to the team though.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Will Hughes is my favourite non Albion player, I also think he can rival AK for skills and quality on the ball. He can open up defences for other players probably better than AK too IMO. That goal on Saturday was just plain brilliant from both Hughes and Bent.

Whether he is more exciting, no probably not but just as valuable,e to the team though.

I'd have to agree with that, Though I do think Knockys close ball skills are superior, WH has amazing vision, and always seems to know where he's going to send the ball before he even gets it. Many less talented midfielders in the Prem for my money.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Three years ago I would also have put Noone and Buckley in that bracket but with AK it seems more than transitional.

I've never seen a player with such ability play for us. He'd grace a team like Arsenal for goodness sake. I really think he's that good

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Apparently (according to a Leicester-supporting colleague), one of the issues with him at Leicester was his work-rate - rarely tracked back or tackled I'm told. He's clearly added this to his game under CH (he works as hard as anyone) as well as being a GENIUS. In today's market he is looking like the bargain of the century.

BristolCity fan

Oct 30, 2016
I'd say Knockeart is the most exciting player from the highlights I've seen, kind of pleased but disappointed he didn't play on Saturday, he would have torn us to pieces but it would have been interesting to see him.

From us I'd say tomlin would have to be up there, on his day technically in the top 3 in this league behind Forestieri and Kockeart imo but very inconsistent and somewhat frustrating!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'd say Knockeart is the most exciting player from the highlights I've seen, kind of pleased but disappointed he didn't play on Saturday, he would have torn us to pieces but it would have been interesting to see him.

From us I'd say tomlin would have to be up there, on his day technically in the top 3 in this league behind Forestieri and Kockeart imo but very inconsistent and somewhat frustrating!

Wouldn't be so sure. Knocky seems to be a much better / more affective player at home. He's had a few quiet away games. As for Saturday, Murphy came in and was superb. You were quite right in your pre-March analyses about struggling at right back to be fair. We are very lucky to have 5 class wingers. On that note, there's a chance Kazenga LuaLua may be available for loan in January - as long as you're not too close to us in league positions I'd see someone like you as an ideal fit for him, if you need a winger. He can be unplayable on his day...

BristolCity fan

Oct 30, 2016
Wouldn't be so sure. Knocky seems to be a much better / more affective player at home. He's had a few quiet away games. As for Saturday, Murphy came in and was superb. You were quite right in your pre-March analyses about struggling at right back to be fair. We are very lucky to have 5 class wingers. On that note, there's a chance Kazenga LuaLua may be available for loan in January - as long as you're not too close to us in league positions I'd see someone like you as an ideal fit for him, if you need a winger. He can be unplayable on his day...

I'd say a winger is just what we need, saw him v Forest first game of last season on Sky and he was brilliant, hopefully he's the type of player we are looking at

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
He is great but there are some other very good people in other teams. I'm just glad he plays for us.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'd say a winger is just what we need, saw him v Forest first game of last season on Sky and he was brilliant, hopefully he's the type of player we are looking at

Well there ya go - ring Johnson up and tell him you and I have sorted the loan move. Leave Hughton to me :thumbsup:

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
NO !

I think Knocky is absolutely terrific in the same sort of way that Vicente Rodriguez was.

My only gripe/concern is that perhaps he fails to see other attackers in a standout / better position.

I love him though.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Some great players in this league, but none can match Knockaert for sheer individual skills, IMHO.

Foriesteri's talents lie in his ability to spot a pass, his finishing, and of course his amateur dramatics.

Tomlin can also spot a great pass, takes a mean free kick, and can finish. Bit tubby, clearly.

Matt Ritchie was very expensive, and had a top class season last time he was at this level with Bournemouth. For £12 million, you'd hope Newcastle feel he's been value.

Hughes is dynamic, and the sort of player who can drive an entire side forward with his movement, despite having a beard that makes him look like he failed the audition for Steptoe & Son.

But what gets people on their feet is a proper old fashioned winger, taking people on and beating them, getting crosses in or scoring goals. Somebody who leaves defenders on their arse, scratching their heads and looking bemused. Why do we like our current squad so much? I'm going to suggest it's at least partially due to the fact we have a collection of wingers that most clubs in this league would happily have. Anthony, plus Skalak, Solly, WJM and even LuaLua on his day. We are utterly spoiled at the moment. Look at Saturday. Knockaert was out: WJM slotted in and put on a performance that would have been a candidate for Man of the Match had Sidwell not scuffed that toe-poke in :wink:

There is no player in the Championship who can trick his way past defenders like Knockaert, though and that is why he's the most exciting player for me. No question.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here