most away fans at a brighton home game

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
With 1500 spurs fans expected tomorrow, this must be the most away fans for a home game for years. Got me thinking about away fans over the years. Who has brought the most over the years? Tomorrows turn out must be the most for 15 years ?

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Didn't Eastbourne bring 1.5k couple of weeks back???

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I seem to recall Pompey bringing 7000 back at the Goldstone in the 80's, plenty of teams actually brought big support over the years.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Well obviously more than any game at Gillingham or Withdean. Biggest in the last few seasons at The Goldstone I would guess at Port Vale in about 1995 had about 5,000

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
plenty of teams had the whole east terrace at the Goldstone for cup games over the years....this must have been 6-7k when it was all open???

Arsenal, and just unnoffical numbers - Chelsea?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
From my recollection
Portvale's PROMOTION 1995-4,500?
Pompey Fac 1993 5,500?
Crawley Fac 1992 5,500?
Leeds PROMOTION 1990 6,500?
and
Arsenal Fac 1988-8,500?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
plenty of teams had the whole east terrace at the Goldstone for cup games over the years....this must have been 6-7k when it was all open???

Try 12,500 to 15,000

saintvaliant

Jun 4, 2009
We pretty much filled one side of the ground, as well as having a few seats behind one end in 1994. No official count was ever given because I'm not sure one was possible as more and more of the side of the ground had to be opened to accommodate us.

Estimates always seem to bounce between 4,500-6,000. Either way, my greatest day following Vale.

I hope you have a great day tomorrow at the Amex - IMHO couldn't be more deserved nor happen to a better bunch of fans in the land.

Looking forward to a trip at some point in the season when the demand has maybe died down a little for tickets.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think an Arsenal game (8000+) surpassed all others by quite a lot. I missed the Port Vale one on purpose. I would have gone to all the others though.

The most Albion away (not play-offs) I was at was at Charlton in the late seventies when the big terrace at the Valley was all Albion. But also possible away to Spurs in the 0-0 draw. Pity we did not score. Also, possible away at Newcastle which I could not get a lift and the trains were sold out.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
We pretty much filled one side of the ground, as well as having a few seats behind one end in 1994. No official count was ever given because I'm not sure one was possible as more and more of the side of the ground had to be opened to accommodate us.

Estimates always seem to bounce between 4,500-6,000. Either way, my greatest day following Vale.

I hope you have a great day tomorrow at the Amex - IMHO couldn't be more deserved nor happen to a better bunch of fans in the land.

Looking forward to a trip at some point in the season when the demand has maybe died down a little for tickets.

Thanks for that.

Now for the bad news.22500 capacity
18000 season tickets sold
2500 away allocation

Not many tickets left on a match to match basis.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Seem to recall Chelsea bringing down about 10k to the Goldstone in the early 80's. Chelsea here, Chelsea there, Chelsea F***ing everywhere was the chant. There was some trouble unsuprisingly...

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Last edited:

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Seem to recall Chelsea bringing down about 10k to the Goldstone in the early 80's. Chelsea here, Chelsea there, Chelsea F***ing everywhere was the chant. There was some trouble unsuprisingly...

If so, that's more than some of their home gates of the 1980's! And that's true. Abramavich has subsidised greater things.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill

Not sure who brought the most, but Chelsea were the most imposing I can remember, even up the floodlights for their first game away that season having been promoted ?

Would the fixture computer throw that one out now ?

Last edited:

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing

Doubt it was as many as 10k, but that was certainly a rough one in the North Stand

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
With 1500 spurs fans expected tomorrow, this must be the most away fans for a home game for years. Got me thinking about away fans over the years. Who has brought the most over the years? Tomorrows turn out must be the most for 15 years ?

According to spurs official site they have 1250 tickets for tomorrow

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports