Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More than a million have used UK food banks in the past year

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
You could benefit from some of that education I mentioned eh! The problem with dinosaurs like yourself is you have to subscribe to a model presented to you by someone else. You don't think for yourself.

Shall I paraphrase this:

"You have a different opinion to me, so you must be wrong and that entitles me to insult you.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Shall I paraphrase this:

"You have a different opinion to me, so you must be wrong and that entitles me to insult you.

Given the ill-formed and stereotypical replies you keep giving is it any wonder people have started to insult you? Oh, and wit also seems beyond you.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Given the ill-formed and stereotypical replies you keep giving is it any wonder people have started to insult you? Oh, and wit also seems beyond you.

There's another band wagon going by. Time to jump on it.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I see all you lefties have been unable to answer the question I posed in posting 70.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I see all you lefties have been unable to answer the question I posed in posting 70.

You are allowed to stop you know?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

I tried, but I got stuck at 4, what constitutes a 'sophisticated' computer, actually, more importantly, what constitutes an unsophisticated computer? A Texas instruments calculator? And large screen TV's, what's large? Tell me, what size screens are these scroungers allowed before they pass your litmus test of financial morality?

Seriously, nobody answered your question because it was an absurd, irrelevant question based upon, yet again, your ill informed prejudice.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Actually you can imagine a Daily Mail free handout litmus test for benefit scroungers, couple of cans of Fosters every other week and the paper will be glowing red.....

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I tried, but I got stuck at 4, what constitutes a 'sophisticated' computer, actually, more importantly, what constitutes an unsophisticated computer? A Texas instruments calculator? And large screen TV's, what's large? Tell me, what size screens are these scroungers allowed before they pass your litmus test of financial morality?

Seriously, nobody answered your question because it was an absurd, irrelevant question based upon, yet again, your ill informed prejudice.

Another not so neat attempt to divert attention away from the question, which is proving a little challenging I guess.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It was sarcasm. I'm not sure it was over your head, the lack of tone and missing any indication that it was actually sarcasm probably didn't help. Soz.
It wasn't the lack of tone etc, I guessed it was sarcasm. What is over my head, is the interpretation of the economy: "It's okay, looks like average wages are going to be up 1.8% so there is no problem, definitely not. And growth is up" - so are average wages and growth not up? Because if they are, that's a good thing right?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
It wasn't the lack of tone etc, I guessed it was sarcasm. What is over my head, is the interpretation of the economy: "It's okay, looks like average wages are going to be up 1.8% so there is no problem, definitely not. And growth is up" - so are average wages and growth not up? Because if they are, that's a good thing right?

Got you - The problem is that they're headlines aren't they, how does an average was rise translate in to £££s of the pockets of the lower earners. I suspect not too well. I hoe the growth figures indicate a increase in exports and that this will trickle down to the workers..... I guess the point I was trying to make is that we keep hearing about the recovery but all I see is more and more suffering for the poor. Hence my sarcasm. And I apologise that I didn't understand that you did understand my sarcasm

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Another not so neat attempt to divert attention away from the question, which is proving a little challenging I guess.

Jesus. Seriously, how old are you?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The problem is that they're headlines aren't they, how does an average was rise translate in to £££s of the pockets of the lower earners. I suspect not too well.
Understood. It's always difficult to make sense of it all, once the parties have wrapped it in spin.

And I apologise that I didn't understand that you did understand my sarcasm
Quit with the apologising already, this is NSC. Call me **** and ask me if I want some :D

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Got you - The problem is that they're headlines aren't they, how does an average was rise translate in to £££s of the pockets of the lower earners. I suspect not too well. I hoe the growth figures indicate a increase in exports and that this will trickle down to the workers..... I guess the point I was trying to make is that we keep hearing about the recovery but all I see is more and more suffering for the poor. Hence my sarcasm. And I apologise that I didn't understand that you did understand my sarcasm

I imagine those on the minimum wage will only share in an up-turn in the economy when the minimum wage is raised.

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003

Is it absurd and irrelevant though?

One of the things that has come out of this thread is that the increase in usage of food banks is to some degree because people in employment are finding that their outgoings exceed their income to such a large extent that they cannot afford to put food on the table.

If I were to find myself in that situation (touch wood etc) and have to make savings I have to say that I'd probably take the view that no one is going to pay my 100 quid/month Sky TV bill or my broadband or my season ticket at the Albion so that if I want to keep them I'll have to keep funding them myself whereas if people are giving food away for nothing that's one area that I can keep my own expenditure down.

I'm sure that logic doesn't apply in all cases but isn't that what you'd do if trying to sustain your current lifestyle for less?

Am I being over simplistic here?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Right, a question for you.

Which of these items is it OK to spend money on before expecting someone else to feed you and your kids?

1 Smoking
2 Sky TV
3 Mobile phones
4 Sophisticated computers
5 Big screen TVs
6 Alcohol
7 New (not second hand) furniture
8 Designer clothes
9 Foreign holidays
10 Cars
11 Play stations and games

I would say all of those should be frowned upon except maybe mobile phones and cars. My objection is for people who work hard, deserve to treat themselves and instead find themselves in a food bank queue because labour and Tory governments cannot stop stealing form the masses.

Now you can move on dimlow.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Are you incapable of a discussion without insults?

You had your daft questions answered and now you're upset. It's an over reaction. An understandable one but an over reaction nonetheless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here