Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] More than 50 drivers a day are still being caught using their mobiles at the wheel

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ah yes, the "i was stationary at the lights argument" but when those lights turned green would they have hung up right away? I think not.
Regarding using the phone while driving my mind always goes back to the lorry driver who killed a couple of his fellow humans because he was talking to his wife about what he was going to have for dinner that night. Says it all really.
If i had my way all traffic police would be issued with a strong bag to put the phones of those caught in AND a club hammer to then smash them into pieces and tip the remains back in the car with a cheery " now try using it you selfish p***k"!!
Probably not a vote winner though.
Actually, it probably would be - most people agree that you shouldn't use your phone while driving "but it'll be alright for me to just make a quick call - I know I can phone and drive at the same time" (same as drink drivers, probably agree with the law but with the "I'm a good driver and I can handle my drink - 3 or 4 pints and I'm perfectly safe" attitude).
Although many drivers caught phoning would probably rather have the expense of replacing their phone than six points on their licence, at least a lot more drivers could be penalised - it would take two minutes to destroy the m0bile ph0ne*, but if the police book somebody for using the phone, it probably takes a sizeable chunk of the rest of the shift to process the bloody paperwork!

* Spelling modified to prevent the words being skimmed to make a shopping link.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If the vehicle is stationary, I can’t see what the harm is.
Ah, one of those idiots that is always sat stationary as the lights turn green…and still stationary…and still stationary…oh great they’ve finally decided to look up…

You’ve taken your concentration off the road, you’re no longer noticing the kids looking to run across further up, the person in a mobility scooter, the cyclist, you’ll just look up on green and expect to go, probably gun it a bit as you’ll have been slow getting away. Can’t think what the harm could be…

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Say what you like but they do have the coolest car clocks :smile:

View attachment 155163
Very nice, but I also like

bentley clock.jpg
jag clock.jpg
rr clock.jpg
sl63 clock.jpg
ferrari clock.jpg

There's a whole new thread here, isn't there :wink:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don’t think it’s a good idea to glance at your watch whilst driving. It takes a fraction of a second for a kid to step out in front of you or for another driver to do something equally dangerous.
I'm assuming you never adjust your radio/sound system or the in-car heating/aircon, check your fuel guage if you're running short, or glance at the map if you've got one of those Sat Navs that shows one?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here