Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] More men in the box

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry, thought this was a gay wish thread. I'll be off, then.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
More in the box you say?

Good idea!

One of them has got to get their head on the end of it, surely!?

life_booth_1.jpg

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
You know one thing I have noticed regarding this a bit, the fact that we never have a man on the edge of the box at a corner. So many times we have a corner, the ball gets cleared to the edge of the box and NO man in stripes is there to collect, it is always the opposition who then spring a counter attack. Chris is paid the big bucks and is obviously doing a better job than I could before everybody starts crying, but it's something I have noticed and hope we address soon.

I totally agree, both with @The_Viper and the OP.

Starting with the man at the top of the box think Scholes for United - incredible number of his goals came from sitting there waiting for a loose ball to thwack. He had the added bonus of being a bit of a biter who could thwart an attack or two.

Back to the OP I think our lack of desire to commit men in this position is two fold:

1. Finding our feet at this level and not wanting to be picked off a la Liverpool in every game

2. The physical attributes of our current squad. CH has no issue committing men forward but they have to be able to get back and compete if we lose the ball. Right now I believe that limits us to the following - Knockaert, March, Izqueirdo, Schelotto - plus obviously Gros and Hemed/Murray

I expect both to change IF we make any additions and if we survive and get a summer transfer window under our belt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I’ve coached for over 10 years and I always put a player on the edge of the box, more for preventing a counter attack. Only once in those years have I ever seen a goal from that position after a corner.

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but it takes an enormous amount of fortune for it to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Fair enough. It's something I have noticed. I'll make sure to be very careful with my words going forward but the fact is I notice it A LOT and if Jose was on the edge in this picture it does work to negate that counter attack option that I have seen take place so often.

Maybe I was a tad pedantic....I can show other examples....but do think you have a valid point

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here