Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More annoying Portsmouth SHITE

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Portsmouth confident of winning Uefa licence appeal

BBC Sport - Football - Portsmouth confident of winning Uefa licence appeal

Portsmouth's administrator is confident the cash-strapped club can satisfy Uefa financial rules and secure a licence to compete in next season's Europa League.

Pompey must come out of administration, file accounts and prove that they are a going concern by 31 May.

But administrator Andrew Andronikou said: "I believe that we will satisfy all the criteria."

If the FA Cup finalists fail in their quest, the team finishing seventh in the Premier League would get the spot.

A place in the Europa League is handed to the winners of the FA Cup but since fellow finalists Chelsea are certain to compete in the Champions League next season because of their league position, Portsmouth would earn that prize whatever the result at Wembley on 15 May.

Two other Europa League places are handed to the fifth-placed team in the Premier League and the winners of the League Cup.

Yet with Manchester United already winning that trophy, a subsequent spot will be handed to the sixth-placed team in the league.

Uefa delegate their licensing scheme to national associations so it will be the Football Association which needs to sign off Portsmouth's application and the deadline for that is 31 May.

The main issues are that there should be no late payments outstanding to other clubs, or to staff and players.

Andronikou said: "Since Sunday we have been scoping out what we can do and trawling through legalities.

"I believe that we will satisfy all the criteria. We should be in a CVA [company voluntary arrangement] by the deadline, all debts will have been sorted out and arrangements made with the football creditors. We should tick all the boxes.

"In terms of sport ethics, I think the club has had its medicine, has been taught its lesson and should be allowed to go forward and preventing them from playing in the Europa League would be wrong."

If Portsmouth do not succeed with their appeal then Everton, who are currently eighth in the Premier League table, could be one of the teams to benefit.

Toffees boss David Moyes does not think Pompey will succeed based on the rules already in place.

"I was told Portsmouth had not applied to be in Europe," Moyes said. "So if that was the case, they were not a consideration.

"It will be unfortunate for them but if they had not applied, but they cannot say 'we want to do it now'."

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So apparently, the club has had its medicine, has been taught its lesson and should be allowed to go forward.

YOU. f***ing. WHAT?

And they didn't even apply for entry, so why the f*** should they be allowed to now?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Dont you have to pay to register to play in Europe? Where will they get that money from?

Also what will their expenses be like if they do get in and have to fly 25 or so players/staff to Russia, Spain, Italy etc for a couple of nights? Especially playing in The Championship

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
They are being allowed to break and bend every rule in the book because of the mess they're in. I can't blame the administrator for exploring every possible avenue of revenue generation but the powers-that-be need to stand up to that total shambles of a club and NOT allow it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The deadline for applying for the UEFA licence was 31st March. They've missed it.

Whats the POINT in having rules if the likes of Pompscum can keep appealing for them not to be applicable to them ? They've already been allowed to sell players outside of the transfer window. Now they're asking Lens if they can play Dindane and swerve that £4m they're supposed to pay them after 22 appearances. Whats next ?

"We would like to appeal to the FA for us to be given a two goal start in next months FA Cup Final against Chelsea. We feel this is fair, as Chelsea have lots more Internationals in their team than us, and have considerably more financial clout. I am confident our club will fit the criteria for a two-goal start, and this will make the Final a more entertaining spectacle for all, whilst also giving us a genuine chance of some silverware at the end of what has been a challenging season for the club, both on and off the field."

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd like to know how much they will be paying back their creditors as part of this CVA that the administrator says they should be in by the 31st May deadline.

HMR&C are saying they will not settle for less than 100p in the £. That being the case, my understanding is that a CVA would not be agreed and the club would be wound up. Whether thats actually what transpires though...

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Brilliant quote from David James:

"We won't get into Europe because we haven't registered - such is the optimism at our club!"
David James after Portsmouth reached the FA Cup final.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
As I have said before, why the hell should we feel sorry for the club or it's fans ? They have been enjoying being a Premier League club at other peoples' (including tax payers like us) expense.

HMR&C are saying they will not settle for less than 100p in the £. That being the case, my understanding is that a CVA would not be agreed and the club would be wound up. Whether thats actually what transpires though...

That is the HMRC, what about the other creditors?

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
depends what % of votes the hmrc have as to if they can block the cva if they don't hold enough (or enough creditors vote with them) the cva can be passed even if they say no.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That is the HMRC, what about the other creditors?

Remains to be seen I suppose. The other creditors might be of the view that its better to get 10p in the £ (or whatever is offered) than nothing. Whether HMR&C can still say no, effectively vetoing that and have them wound up instead I'm not sure.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
depends what % of votes the hmrc have as to if they can block the cva if they don't hold enough (or enough creditors vote with them) the cva can be passed even if they say no.

That's a good point.

The chairman just needs to write himself a backdated IOU on a scrap of paper detailing the previous loan of £50 million from an untraceable company in the Seychelles, and get said company [that he would be in no way, no sir-ree connected with] to vote in favour of the CVA.

That would NEVER work though, would it?

Oh...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Maybe they could sell Roots Hall to Palarse ....

Oh ...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
well, if they get a CVA and file full audited accounts in the next 30 odd working days, fair play to them.

thats not going to happen though, so que bleating for years to come of how they missed their oppurtunity to play in europe.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The administrator is a first rate tosser who lies through his back teeth to generate publicity and boost his fees.

By the end of May Portsmouth will be an ex-Premier league club and no-one will give a toss about bending the rules and keeping them afloat

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
As I have said before, why the hell should we feel sorry for the club or it's fans ? They have been enjoying being a Premier League club at other peoples' (including tax payers like us) expense.

I'm going to buck the trend and say it's not as simple as that. If a rich owner comes in and agrees to underwrite the cost of new signings, but then changes his mind a year later, what are the fans meant to do.

It's a bit like what that c**t ar**er did to us, loan us £300 grand and then take interest and penalty payments when the club (that he was chairman of :shootself) couldn't pay it back. I completely lay the blame with FIFA, UEFA , FA and the Premier league for this mess. If they had proper rules in place to stop crooked owners coming in and chucking money about like there's no tomorrow, and then removing their money and leaving everone in the shit, this kind of thing wouldn't happen.

The Germans are quite strict about their clubs finances, the rest of football needs to go the same way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here