[Help] Morals and Ethics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I can't go into detail, but tomorrow at work I'm supposed to be doing something that every moral and ethical fibre of my being says is wrong in any number of ways.

My boss is sympathetic, but the decision has come from way above us and no-one higher up seems interested in changing it.

I love my job, but I hate this.

Advice/thoughts gratefully received.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I can't go into detail, but tomorrow at work I'm supposed to be doing something that every moral and ethical fibre of my being says is wrong in any number of ways.

My boss is sympathetic, but the decision has come from way above us and no-one higher up seems interested in changing it.

In my previous organisation/industry that would mean going down the whistleblowing route - always a robust internal process for doing so (independently and entirely outside of the reporting line if necessary), or failing that direct to the regulator (which would be confidential). Is there an unconflicted senior person you can speak to ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If your boss is sympathetic, can they not get you out of it / assign it to someone else / do it themselves

Last edited:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Are you able to give us the context? Or perhaps a sense of what the impact of the decision would be and on whom/what? Happy to help via private message if I can at all.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Sounds like your boss is complicit by default. As will be the next dozen levels of middling management above them. Does your company have a Whistleblower procedure? Or do you just bite your tongue and pay the rent? That's always going to be the leverage that your company has over you, sadly

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023

It looks like you have told your boss you aren’t comfortable but maybe go a step further and ask him what would happen if you don’t do it? At least you’ll know if you are actually being forced to do it or not.

It might be that you don’t have to do it.

Good luck either way!

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
only you can decide if it’s something you are willing to take a stand on, or go through with. just make sure you have any objections/overriding commands from superiors in written record in case it comes back to bite later. if they aren’t willing to put those on record, then that should give you an indication as to whether it’s something you should be doing

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Have they asked you to work in the office rather than home?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Support Palace?

Seriously, if it is against your own moral code then refuse to do it. I took a decision several years ago that I wasn't prepared to do things against what I believed in. It's quite liberating.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
What are the repercussions of you not doing it? If your job/career doesn't depend on it, don't do it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The problem is not so much who does it as it shouldn't be done at all.

More awkward.

In similar situations I've actually left and moved elsewhere (not there and then, but after finding an alternative), but all of those decisions have been business rather than moral. I suspect that because of that, you may be the only one who can answer it. I wish I could be more help but Good Luck with however you handle it :thumbsup:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

A career in politics is clearly not for you - make a change

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I think I have resolved - I can't change what has to be done, but I have a plan for how to do it in such a way that the correct moral outcome is achieved, which effectively means doing a half-arsed job.

My approach would cause horror at the top of my organisation, but I'll take any shit if it means I can sleep easily.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Try not to go down that slippery slope. Once you compromise, everything from then on is relative. Best part of 30 years ago I did some management stuff and picked up a couple of ideas I trot out occasionally when I don't like the sound of things.
  • Ethical dilemmas have a way of sneaking up on a person. If something smells funny, stay away from it. Or help get rid of it.
  • When enough people don't care and don't accept personal responsibility for high ethical standards, our organization gets the "M" disease. Mediocrity. Anybody in the place can be a carrier.
( Ethics of Excellence by Price Pritchett ... a middling author on change management ... book was OK at the time, nothing special but probably well out of date by now)

Ever since I have been happy to stick two fingers up to corporate wankery even though it's cost me a few opportunities along the way. Looking back, I'm glad I did as different and better opportunities came up anyway, I appreciate not everyone has the freedom to choose but, if you do have to go along with it, keep an eye on yourself and start looking elsewhere if the organisation isn't willing to meet your standards. If that makes me sound like a saint, trust me, I'm really not. More of a bloody-minded DGAF bloke to be honest.

Shakespeare's always good on things like this (if a little pompous) :
"This above all: to thine own self be true
And it must follow, as the night the day
Thou canst not then be false to any man"

PS our posts crosssed in the post ... good for you ... fukkem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here