[Albion] Montoya to Betis - deal complete

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I thought he was a poor player by Premier League standards. He always put in 100% effort and I wish him all the best but unfortunately he never looked good enough.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
If only MM had as much composure in the opposition 1/3rd as he has in his own half, he could have been a great rather than a good player for us.

Still, Seville is a wonderful city. Don't overdo the Churros.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I think his spell with us is fairly typical of his whole career. The occasional good game, obviously a good footballer but so often below par and not really reliable for every game, week in and week out.

If we've got back the cash we invested we've done very well considering how the squad has developed.

Be surprised if we got anywhere near the reported £6m we paid. Sadly as will probably be the case with Ali J, Locadia, and Andone - we'd do well to get half back of their outlay which was about £37m - if we got £18m back I think we would be doing well (assuming they do move on which is no means a given).

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
https://www.realbetisbalompie.es/noticias/actualidad/martin-montoya-primer-fichaje-del-real-betis-para-la-proxima-temporada-24554

montoya.jpg

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Good luck Monty - had his moments for us.
It's Turbo Tariq's time now ��

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I liked him, first saw him play when we beat Man U 3-2 at home. A good two years. All the best!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Good luck to Montoya, a decent pro, good competition for Bruno and Lamptey and helped us stay in this division for two seasons.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Thank you Monty for your efforts in successfully helping keep the Albion in the Premiership good luck back in Spain

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Absolutely agree with the general sentiment. A decent player who gave his all in the stripes and I wish him well in the future at Real Betis :cheers:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's not our attacking play that's kept us up these last 3 years it's our defence. Nobody has featured as often at full back in this time. On that measure, an invaluable signing

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Thanks Martin.

We’ve got a more attacking option in Lamptey (and maybe Yapi) and a more defensive option in Veltman.

We’ve taken out the middleman but you were consistent, professional and honest.

Best Of Luck.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Echo what everyone has said. Very decent player, always reliable. Not part of the way forward, but that's no slight.

Best of luck.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I think his spell with us is fairly typical of his whole career. The occasional good game, obviously a good footballer but so often below par and not really reliable for every game, week in and week out.

If we've got back the cash we invested we've done very well considering how the squad has developed.

£1.7m according to Fotmob. Surely we paid more than that for him? But we have had value for money. A better player than some give him credit for.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
£1.7m according to Fotmob. Surely we paid more than that for him? But we have had value for money. A better player than some give him credit for.

This report suggests there is no upfront fee, just some add-ons based upon certain future criteria - The advantageous conditions of the signing of Martín Montoya

That was also hinted at in Brian Owen's piece in the Argus this morning when he said there were suggestions that Albion might simply cut short Montoya's contract to facilitate the deal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports