Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] monks farm planning

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Infrastructure? If you include major new or enlarged roads, which makes sense, almost everyone then moans about that destroying the planet.

A selfish argument I’ve frequently heard from nimbies sitting pretty in comfortable homes on the urban fringe is that the new homes should all be built in urban centres. 3.4m new homes are required. Should all those families be housed in new city centre flats to appease nimbies who don’t want little world disturbed?

(Not you btw).

I agree. I think some people would be happy to stick everyone in town centre and have the leafy outskirts all to themselves.
New roads are essential for such large developments and I don’t have an issue with that. Those cars are around somewhere already so it’s not adding to pollution so much, but does destroy some countryside. An unfortunate but inevitable price to pay.
It’s schools, GP’s and council services that get overrun if more aren’t built for the new developments.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
360 units are at full market value being sold by Cala.

240 units are being handed over to a registered social landlord, for allocation to people on (normally) long lists they hold of people desperate for a new start.

That’s interesting. Thank you.

figgis

Mar 23, 2012
Worthing
360 units are at full market value being sold by Cala.

240 units are being handed over to a registered social landlord, for allocation to people on (normally) long lists they hold of people desperate for a new start.

So 360 are sold to people for full whack and 240 get given to people on benefits. Wrong in every way. The people who work hard for low wages get nothing.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So 360 are sold to people for full whack and 240 get given to people on benefits. Wrong in every way. The people who work hard for low wages get nothing.

Which is exactly my experience trying to get on the list. I’ve given up owning bricks and mortar around here now and am saving up to buy a static home nearby. At least I’ll own something then. Some are quite nice too.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree. I think some people would be happy to stick everyone in town centre and have the leafy outskirts all to themselves.
New roads are essential for such large developments and I don’t have an issue with that. Those cars are around somewhere already so it’s not adding to pollution so much, but does destroy some countryside. An unfortunate but inevitable price to pay.
It’s schools, GP’s and council services that get overrun if more aren’t built for the new developments.

When I studied geog at school in the early 80’s, the UK’s population was 56m, it appears that it may be 68m now, it really took off from 1997. Borne out by 5.5m and growing of EU citizens who’ve just applied for residency status here. We need them.

And everyone needs to housed adequately.

The population genie’s out of the bottle, unfortunately there’ll be some environmental cost. This goes against the grain for me as I care passionately about the planet. So, a comprise in the UK, with generous mitigation at the same time.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
There's plenty of land available for housing. It's just the vast majority of it it's still owned the descendants of William the ******** best mates.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Which is exactly my experience trying to get on the list. I’ve given up owning bricks and mortar around here now and am saving up to buy a static home nearby. At least I’ll own something then. Some are quite nice too.

Through in-laws and work, I know people who were successful. They had kids.

I suppose they’d have a priority over you? For better or worse.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
When I studied geog at school in the early 80’s, the UK’s population was 56m, it appears that it may be 68m now, it really took off from 1997. Borne out by 5.5m and growing of EU citizens who’ve just applied for residency status here. We need them.

The population genie’s out of the bottle, unfortunately there’ll be some environmental cost. This goes against the grain for me as I care passionately about the planet. So, a comprise in the UK, with generous mitigation at the same time.

We have a similar outlook on the subject. I feel if we are to sacrifice precious countryside to developers, let’s make sure regular families and workers get to use it to build a life for themselves. Not sell it off to huge companies like IKEA that don’t give a stuff about the environment.
I realise that may come across as NIMBY but I really don’t oppose new housing.

figgis

Mar 23, 2012
Worthing

Good but you won't have a sky dish and a brand new car. This country is screwed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The vast majority of people on benefits are working but claim working tax credits.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Part of the problem is buy to let and empty properties for investments.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/12/30/5000...-while-100000-families-are-homeless-13812966/

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Part of the problem is buy to let and empty properties for investments.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/12/30/5000...-while-100000-families-are-homeless-13812966/

In terms of the literal housing shortage, I definitely agree about the latter but not the former.

Many overseas investors buy new apartments off plan in places such as London, Brighton and Manchester, then leave them completely empty. Also holiday homes in central London and the West Country.

But if I buy a BTL (I have none), that doesn’t remove a home from the UK’s housing stock.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010

That is most interesting and I agree they are required. Can you please quote a source for these figures ?

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Thanks, that is amazing as I had no idea so many EU citizens had wished to remain.

I read the Independent article but are there any statistics about those currently gainfully employed here or otherwise ?

Sorry to bother you on this!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thanks, that is amazing as I had no idea so many EU citizens had wished to remain.

I read the Independent article but are there any statistics about those currently gainfully employed here or otherwise ?

Sorry to bother you on this!

My guess would be that those stats aren’t known. Not least because the 6m revelation is astonishing, it was estimated by ONS/academics that 3.7m was the figure (including 0.4m from the ROI).

But there’s a wealth of other information here for you.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-settlement-scheme-applications-brexit-b1876988.html.

Purely a guess based on personal experience, I reckon the vast majority of adult EU citizens here pre-lockdowns worked. So many hard working folk on farms, in shops, deliver drivers, NHS (I had a major op in 2019, the staff were an amazing united nations mix), also in the professions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here