Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Money Exchange (Airport / Using card in EU)

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Two questions;

1 - Am I right in thinking that exchanging money at airports isn't as bad as it used to be, and that you pretty much get as good an exchange rate as you would out and about?

2 - Someone suggested that I can now use my Visa Debit card in the EU (specifically France), in stores and withdrawing money from cash points, at a pretty standard exchange rate. Is that true?

Cheers x

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It's still pretty awful.

If you have enough time, order it online as cash. If not, I'd get a fairfx card. Visa debit can be OK, but some banks still charge handling fees etc etc

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Depends who you bank with. If you have time, I would suggest opening a nationwide current account, and using their debit card to withdraw money. Although they have recently brought in a 1% charge on foreign transactions, their exchange rates are top notch and blow the "big banks" rates out of the water.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
2 - Someone suggested that I can now use my Visa Debit card in the EU (specifically France), in stores and withdrawing money from cash points, at a pretty standard exchange rate. Is that true?

This is what I always do. I don't understand why people bother changing up wads of money or take hundreds in travellers cheques in this day and age. The exchange rate at the cashpoint is the same as any beareu de change. If there is a difference either way it won't amount to more than a couple of quid in a weekend. Cashpoints are everywhere.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I always thought that using a visa debit card abroad to withdraw cash was the way forward - as you then automatically take advantage of Visa's bulk buying power in securing a decent exchange rate.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Going Saturday, and I'm with the wankers that are Natwest.

I normally just use a credit card - the exchange rates with Braclay card seem very favourable yes you have a small transaction fee - but i still feel it's better than having wads of cash.

If your debit card is natwest don't use it as i'm with them and they do rip you off a bit.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you want to take some cash, order online with Travelex to pick up at the airport. You'll get a far better rate than just rocking up and exchanging on the day - they really sting people who do that.

Other than some money for incidentals I always just use my cards. I don't currently have one of the few 'zero transaction fee' cards so do incur a charge on each transaction, but for me the convenience is worth it.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I use my card in the EU all the time. Cash in Hurstpierpoint post office yesterday, diesel at Pyecombe this morning, just never stops.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Always use my visa debit (Nat West) in the EU, bit confused with this negative feeling towards the bank... always been more than fair with me?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Depends who you bank with. If you have time, I would suggest opening a nationwide current account, and using their debit card to withdraw money. Although they have recently brought in a 1% charge on foreign transactions, their exchange rates are top notch and blow the "big banks" rates out of the water.

I agree.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here