Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monarch to go bust?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Disgracefully Monarch have sent me THREE emails in past week (and none in the past year or two) offering me flights and holidays at stupidly cheap prices. Obviously trying to sucker up as much money up into the pot as possible before the inevitable happens. C*nts.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Disgracefully Monarch have sent me THREE emails in past week (and none in the past year or two) offering me flights and holidays at stupidly cheap prices. Obviously trying to sucker up as much money up into the pot as possible before the inevitable happens. C*nts.

Oooh do tell where have you booked to go????

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

It really looks like you love seeing the downfall of companies, but if they were public owned they would run perfectly.

Given that your flights would be guaranteed I dont know why you feel the need to complain, and if they dont go then more fool you for not taking them up on the offers

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It really looks like you love seeing the downfall of companies, but if they were public owned they would run perfectly.

Given that your flights would be guaranteed I dont know why you feel the need to complain, and if they dont go then more fool you for not taking them up on the offers

Flight REFUNDS would be guaranteed. Hotel bookings made to go with the flights would require short notice very expensive substitutes. Wakey wakey tom :dunce:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

or carrying on business as usual. you think it would be better not to drum up any business?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
or carrying on business as usual. you think it would be better not to drum up any business?

Seeing as how I'd not heard hide nor hear of them for the past couple of years, and now I've suddenly got three emails in the space of a week, I'm assuming they're dredging up the mail address of anyone who EVER booked with them in a desperate last throw of the dice to generate some more for the primary creditors. Who certainly won't be the likes of me or thee. Sure, we'll get money back on the flights from ATOL, but not any of the ancillary costs of a ruined holiday.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Seeing as how I'd not heard hide nor hear of them for the past couple of years, and now I've suddenly got three emails in the space of a week, I'm assuming they're dredging up the mail address of anyone who EVER booked with them in a desperate last throw of the dice to generate some more for the primary creditors. Who certainly won't be the likes of me or thee. Sure, we'll get money back on the flights from ATOL, but not any of the ancillary costs of a ruined holiday.

Dont think companies that are struggling are meant to have preferential creditors, however all companies do as they need them to continue to function and hopefully trade out of their difficulties, I hope this is an effort to stave off liquidation rather than to take money off punters to give to their creditors, however I take your point.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

Why would you not book in a package with an ATOL protected company using a credit card? Actually the primary creditors would be you and I as Crown is first, but lets ignore the facts.

If there has been financial support this week for the company, whoever has backed it with debt or shares may have had a word about how they advertise the business and yes as you stay started to advertise with email to get some more money for cash flow (makes business sense that I fund your company and want to see changes and money coming in the till)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why would you not book in a package with an ATOL protected company using a credit card? Actually the primary creditors would be you and I as Crown is first, but lets ignore the facts.

Not talking about booking a package. Talking about booking flight-only at prices silly even by budget airline standards. Mails have been primarily pitched at the flights. Given the timing of the mails, wouldn't touch Monarch with a barge pole.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
One of my suppliers have just gone under. Six weeks ago I got an email with lots of very cheap offers. Took them up on a few thousand pounds worth. Laughed with the rep about them closing. Then I got the phone call asking for the money for the goods just received. I didn't owe them as I get 30 days but I know the owner so felt I should pay up. Laughed again with the girl on the phone until she said 'can you pay now by card if I give you a discount'. They shut last week. Probably 30 unemployed and no payouts.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

If there has been financial support this week for the company, whoever has backed it with debt or shares may have had a word about how they advertise the business and yes as you stay started to advertise with email to get some more money for cash flow (makes business sense that I fund your company and want to see changes and money coming in the till)

I am not sure thats true, are not the primary creditors beyond the crown those creditors owed the most, I would expect customers are way down the list, otherwise it kinda diminishes the role of ATOL and disproportionately increases the exposure of the other major creditors ......

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Flight REFUNDS would be guaranteed. Hotel bookings made to go with the flights would require short notice very expensive substitutes. Wakey wakey tom :dunce:

That's the problem in a nutshell. Any flights you have already booked with them you can't cancel without losing your money.

So you are kind of stuck. Can't make any alternative flight bookings because they would have to be paid upfront to - and of course non-refundable too

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I am not sure thats true, are not the primary creditors beyond the crown those creditors owed the most, I would expect customers are way down the list, otherwise it kinda diminishes the role of ATOL and disproportionately increases the exposure of the other major creditors ......

Yes sorry secured first then crown however they cannot be see to preference things such as inter company loans prior to liquidation which is what I should have said. Its not necessarily owed the most it depends if a charge is held.

That said when Tom says about offering flights at silly money I have flown with Ryanair many times for £1 (plus booking) along with Easyjet for some silly prices - I am sure at times less than a bus ticket but they seem pretty solid to me.

The reason I decided to comment today was around the apparent joy at companies going under some seem to show, and that when people try to keep the cashflow going with offers they should be laughed at

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
That's the problem in a nutshell. Any flights you have already booked with them you can't cancel without losing your money.

So you are kind of stuck. Can't make any alternative flight bookings because they would have to be paid upfront to - and of course non-refundable too

But surely at this stage you do not cancel a flight on the hearsay from a forum?

By the way Brighton are signing Bale in the next transfer window

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The reason I decided to comment today was around the apparent joy at companies going under some seem to show, and that when people try to keep the cashflow going with offers they should be laughed at

Well that's your take on things.My take on things (with no joy involved whatsoever) is that this company is cynically gearing up its emails to scoop up money where it can, with the possible outcome of leaving customers high and dry. The very astute posts on here last weekend about shadowing flights being brought in to cover Monarch routes to assist, if required, with repatriation of Monarch customers, shows just how close this company is to the edge. Wakey wakey tom and smell the coffee.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
But surely at this stage you do not cancel a flight on the hearsay from a forum?

By the way Brighton are signing Bale in the next transfer window

No but when it's in the FT, BBC, The Times etc etc, I take it a bit more seriously. And if I could cancel and rebook without loss, then yes, I probably would.

Good news about Bale though....

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Just to clarify. If you book a flight AND hotel through the same Atol registered company within a short time (24 hours) and the flight company goes bust you will get a 100% refund on both the hotel and flight. Booking flight with Monarch and Hotel with, say, hotel.com would only get you the flight cash back.
This is helpful unless, of course, it's your two week holiday that you lose and you're stuck at home instead.

And Bale wont play if Messi plays, who we got on a special loan deal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here