Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moments of Sporting Perfection

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What made Donald so hostile in this sequence?

I mean obviously he's trying to get Atherton out, but I don't think I've ever seen a cricketer play with such raw hatred for an opponent. Or was he always like that?

Pretty sure Atherton hadn't walked after being caught behind earlier in the spell.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Lucky. Did the pace of Frankel stand out as like nothing you'd seen before?

With those odds, in essense did that mean that not a sole put money on the horse?

A lot of the bookies where just setting a book without Frankel in it. So who was second basically. I'd never seen a horse that when you flicked the switch he could put 5 or 6 lengths between the others so quickly. I can remember the 20 thousand or so crowd giving him a standing ovation when he went down to the start the second year. I guess a lot of this is about what sports you like - I can enjoy flat racing without having to put a penny on a race. Can't wait for this year........got two days booked. By far and away my favourite day of the year is the Wednesday.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Still the best goal at The Amex so far for me.

The chip over the defence, the first time pass inside, a layoff, a perfect chipped cross, a perfect nod down...... GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

And it was against "them". Love the guy in the blue t-shirt raising his arms before Ulloa knocks it in.

NSFW by the way - rude words involved :lolol:

[YT]AcFI8nNcZa0[/YT]

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Not a fan of either team, and it unfortunately shows our own superhero not doing great - but I have always thought of this as one of the great sporting moments for all those involved.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The entire 2005 Ashes series.

Never has there been a sporting series which awoke the hitherto ambivalent public to something amazing which took place all summer long. No quarter was asked by either team, none was given.

Australia, still riding high on being arguably one of the best cricketing teams; no, best sporting teams ever, and England with a couple of upstart maverick swashbucklers, a bowling attack to finally challenge the Aussies, and a captain with more belligerence than much of what had gone before. Given the context of the matches, the spectacle - made by the players, spectators and broadcasters alike (all played their part) - made for something quite special which has yet to be repeated, and probably won't be for a long time yet.

No work was done in our offices for virtually the whole time! I can still vividly recall sitting in the car listening to the end of the Edgbaston Test. It's only 30 seconds from the car door to the front door of the house - but there was no way I was going to risk getting out of the car. And anyway I was shaking too much. We were in northern France for the final test - but fortunately Radio 4 long wave is perfectly good reception over there, so me and my mate kept 'just popping out' of the various tourist attractions we were being dragged round to listen to bits on his radio. My abiding memory is sheltering under a hedge from the rain on a walk and finding that in the short time we had not been listening we had managed to knock over the Aussies after lunch to take a first-innings lead. And then, whilst clearing up the house to start going home, listening to McGrath take two wickets in two balls, with Pieterson just about avoiding the hat-trick. So many heart-in-mouth moments, and such excitement.

Parchie

Jan 9, 2014
Watford supporting mates still talk about this and makes a few jibes about AK. I'd love to see him bag a couple at vicarage road at the end of august
Seem to remember there was a near identical incident in Brentford v donny rovers game in the same season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here