[Albion] Molineux

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
First time up there, old fashioned stadium from yesteryear, looked as run down and dirty as the rest of the city. It felt like stepping back into the 90's.
Goal music was a bit tinpot and only singing "Hi Ho Wolverhampton" during an entire song was also a bit naff.
Most of their fans seemed alright, but the Rylan/Aaron Connolly halfbreed who was taunting us with homophobic gestures was a proper bellcheese. The stewards picked him out early, the police took an interest in him and he didn't return in the second half so hopefully he got kicked out.
A not very glamorous tie to bump up my ST points, my first ever away goals and a win to boot. All in all a decent day out but not sure I'd go back.

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea
On a slightly different theme, do they still produce the hand drawn style programmes? I was impressed with the illustration on the programme in the season we were promoted. They could have just had a wolf having a seagull for dinner, but instead had a stunning image showing seagulls putting up a fight, which was far more respectable & better reflected reality, tbf. Quite collectable, I would have thought, if they created them regularly.

Doc 15 Apr 2017, 00-52.jpeg

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
The locals refer to the open seats in the corner as the Gene Kelly Stand.
Saw them when i walked round the ground prior to the game and noticed they had a different name and entrance than the stand they were tacked on to, i wondered why that stand was not built bigger in the first place? The only stand that i thought looked good was the north end but it seemed to me that it would not be possible to fill in the corners as none of the stands matched with their neighbours.
As others have said the concourse behind our stand was shockingly cramped and i certainly would not like one of those glass fronted boxes behind us - a bit like goldfish bowls!
On another note, during my tour round the ground i was pleased to bump into our Tony leaving the directors car park and he was certainly not keeping a low profile in his bright blue suit!

Jimmy Grimble

Did anyone else notice the safe standing that was being used for, er, sitting?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
The first time I went to Wolves was just after our promotion to the Championship (I think the 3-3 when Dobbie (remember him) scored a pen and we were in the isolated stand that if it's full you can't see the touchline along the current away fan section.

Last time I went was the 0-0 I think for Elvis Manu's debut when he got a proper boot in the face and never to be seen again. horr8fic journey up on Blues Away coach that only arrived 10 mins before KO. It was also very f***ing hot and sunny, within 5 minutes of finding our seats I was getting sunburned so watched 80+ minutes of the game with an unfolded burger box on my head to avoid heatstroke. Not a ground I want to visit again.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Yeah I meant home. The long, shallow away end is deliberately used to kill the away team's atmosphere IMO. Probably sang less there than I have anywhere else.
But last season we were in the (north) stand behind the goal, upper and lower tier. I wonder what their criteria for swapping around where the away fans go is?

FWIW I though the atmosphere was pretty decent for us on Saturday, considering that stand is so long and skinny. We were on the second row opposite the penalty box where Pascal scored the winner.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands

Wolves were going to redevelop and when Kevin Thelwell and other guy who went off to run a Rugby team left it seemed the plans got quietly dropped - bit of a missed opportunity to me

Priorities now are players wages, training ground and stadium last - all opposite way round to how BHA did it ...

Ground gets a bit more tired and old every year ... much like Old Trafford really

As LFC owners are about to prove LFC with two new stands and new training ground will go for a decent amount

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I did find it strange that the manager travelled to the ground on a different coach to the players and that the players went behind the other coach to avoid the waiting fans when they arrived. Not bothered for myself but felt sorry for the young fans who had been waiting.
Brighton or Wolves?

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
But last season we were in the (north) stand behind the goal, upper and lower tier. I wonder what their criteria for swapping around where the away fans go is?

FWIW I though the atmosphere was pretty decent for us on Saturday, considering that stand is so long and skinny. We were on the second row opposite the penalty box where Pascal scored the winner.
The away team chooses what allocation to take, anything requested less than 2000 and you go in the Stan Cullis quadrant

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Despite all the redevelopment, they still have that charming grassy bank in the corner which was there on my first visit, around 1989. Stood on the South Bank that night with only the 2 stands open (East and South), the rest of the ground totally derelict. We won 4-2. It was the same night Palace lost 9-0 at Liverpool.

That was a good coach journey home.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
On a slightly different theme, do they still produce the hand drawn style programmes? I was impressed with the illustration on the programme in the season we were promoted. They could have just had a wolf having a seagull for dinner, but instead had a stunning image showing seagulls putting up a fight, which was far more respectable & better reflected reality, tbf. Quite collectable, I would have thought, if they created them regularly.

View attachment 153466
I’m afraid not - the one from Saturday is A5 size with a photo of a player on the front - for £4!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Molineux is a funny one - I used to live around the corner. It was rebuilt between 1988 and 1992 and was the first stadium to be fully rebuilt after the Hillsborough disaster. As an upshot of that, there was room between the pitch and the stands for emergency vehicles. Other stadia since then learned from Molineux and found other ways to allow emergency vehicles and quick evacuations.

About 8-10 years ago, Wolves were owned by Steve Morgan, who owns a building empire. He set about a stadium rebuilding project, however the club got relegated and then he sold the club after only the first stand was completed. As a part of this project the pitch was moved towards the 'South Bank' and the new 'North Bank' was built closer to the pitch. Therefore the two end stands are now closer to the pitch, but the sides remain a bit further away.

The plan originally was for the current away stand to be pulled down next, joining to the recently built North Bank. Then the South Bank would be given a second tier, and joined on. Then, the 'main' stand could be rebuilt a few years down the line (but that was not in the original plans). It would have been a nice ground it it were finished. From what I have seen, the new owners have no plans for redevelopment.

You can see in the below picture how the pitch would have been right up against the three new stands, but with the main stand being further out.

molineux-stadium-redevelopment4.jpg

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
First time up there, old fashioned stadium from yesteryear, looked as run down and dirty as the rest of the city. It felt like stepping back into the 90's.
Goal music was a bit tinpot and only singing "Hi Ho Wolverhampton" during an entire song was also a bit naff.
Most of their fans seemed alright, but the Rylan/Aaron Connolly halfbreed who was taunting us with homophobic gestures was a proper bellcheese. The stewards picked him out early, the police took an interest in him and he didn't return in the second half so hopefully he got kicked out.
A not very glamorous tie to bump up my ST points, my first ever away goals and a win to boot. All in all a decent day out but not sure I'd go back.
We were chuckling away at that sad act. He had his girlfriend with him but spent his time making stupid gestures at the away support.

Why would you do that anyway, but even if you're that sad, why do it with your girlfriend right there with you? What an absolute throbber.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Molineux is a funny one - I used to live around the corner. It was rebuilt between 1988 and 1992 and was the first stadium to be fully rebuilt after the Hillsborough disaster. As an upshot of that, there was room between the pitch and the stands for emergency vehicles. Other stadia since then learned from Molineux and found other ways to allow emergency vehicles and quick evacuations.

About 8-10 years ago, Wolves were owned by Steve Morgan, who owns a building empire. He set about a stadium rebuilding project, however the club got relegated and then he sold the club after only the first stand was completed. As a part of this project the pitch was moved towards the 'South Bank' and the new 'North Bank' was built closer to the pitch. Therefore the two end stands are now closer to the pitch, but the sides remain a bit further away.

The plan originally was for the current away stand to be pulled down next, joining to the recently built North Bank. Then the South Bank would be given a second tier, and joined on. Then, the 'main' stand could be rebuilt a few years down the line (but that was not in the original plans). It would have been a nice ground it it were finished. From what I have seen, the new owners have no plans for redevelopment.

You can see in the below picture how the pitch would have been right up against the three new stands, but with the main stand being further out.

That would be quite a lovely ground actually. Big Upton Park vibes but a bit less crap.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I like Wolverhampton, it‘s not too far from where I live and I’ve had some great days out at Dunstall Park. In fact I quite like all the west midland grounds that I’ve been to: Birmingham, West Brom, Aston Villa, Walsall and Kidderminster.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing

Thanks for this info, it clearly explains why the ground looks like an unfinished project - because it is!
Also reading the link from ac gull explains how more than one person's vision has impacted on the look of the stadium as it is today. Unfulfilled dreams over the years eh, makes me even more glad for Falmer and the realised vision of Tony and our club.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
We were chuckling away at that sad act. He had his girlfriend with him but spent his time making stupid gestures at the away support.

Why would you do that anyway, but even if you're that sad, why do it with your girlfriend right there with you? What an absolute throbber.
He even grabbed her hand at one point to try and get her to give us the wanker sign.
I've seen some bell ends at football over the years but he's definitely up there.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
It's an old and rather delapidated stadium now needing major modernisation. Not the worst ground in the Prem but certainly up there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports