Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Moises Caicedo - New contract signed until summer 2027 with 1 year extra option.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I would be very surprised and disappointed if Moises went in the next year(or two). The business model will not enable top 10 sustainability if we sell all our promising prospects too early imo - Biss was one thing and even Cucu but another would be toomuch

Biss went because the squad had not one but two ready made replacements.
Cucu went because that's the deal - get someone to pay over the odds and move on.

Caicedo will move on next Summer, you might as well start getting used to that fact now.

He will fall into the Cucu category it's up to recruitment to make sure he falls into both.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Biss went because the squad had not one but two ready made replacements.
Cucu went because that's the deal - get someone to pay over the odds and move on.

Caicedo will move on next Summer, you might as well start getting used to that fact now.

He will fall into the Cucu category it's up to recruitment to make sure he falls into both.

I think he'll want to stay and help Brighton get as far as possible in the CL.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
The ‘BS’ indicator in the article is ‘West ham’.

I doubt we’d sell Moises for less than £70m given his age and potential. Only Manure would pay that and what player would want to move there?

Moyes is scared sh*tless what we are going to do to them on Sunday and is trying to upset the squad ahead of the game,the alternative is he`s been on too much of the "irn bru":whistle:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
if Moses goes them Mitoma is probably not far behind , nor Undav ,Trossard, Ensisco or Sanchez ...however at that stage we have more than paid for The Amex , The Academy and Locadia and Jahanbaschk will be a distant , faded memory , Tony Bloom will have , effectively , managed to produce a world class footballing set up in Sussex out of thin air, his debt will be returned ......clever bugger

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Just have to accept he will be sold next Summer at this stage.

I don't think it's inevitable.

I totally understand that Tony has the right and expectation for the club to be run sustainably, but surely with the £100ish million we've had in in fees, we're going to to be at least breaking even and presumably turning a healthy surplus for the next financial year.

I believe the club when they say they don't need to sell players and I don't believe it's Tony's plan to try to recoup the money he's put in over the years.

Putting the club on a sustainable footing needs to be balanced with progressing up the table if we can. My guess is that we will resist all but the most ridiculous offer and this will be the case irrespective of the wishes of the player.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
if Moses goes them Mitoma is probably not far behind , nor Undav ,Trossard, Ensisco or Sanchez ...however at that stage we have more than paid for The Amex , The Academy and Locadia and Jahanbaschk will be a distant , faded memory , Tony Bloom will have , effectively , managed to produce a world class footballing set up in Sussex out of thin air, his debt will be returned ......clever bugger

I just hope that when Cashworth left for the Saudi enclave in the North, that he didn't take the skills and know-how that have helped create this golden age of young players. Cucu, Caicendo, Ali Mac, Mwepu, Moder (I think), Sarmiento etc etc all spotted, cultivated and signed on his watch.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I just hope that when Cashworth left for the Saudi enclave in the North, that he didn't take the skills and know-how that have helped create this golden age of young players. Cucu, Caicendo, Ali Mac, Mwepu, Moder (I think), Sarmiento etc etc all spotted, cultivated and signed on his watch.

Moder was scouted and signed under Ashworth, but Ali Mac wasn't. Either way, I thought the scouting was more down to a combo of the network we've built, which isn't going anywhere, and TB's moneyball-style algorithms.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Moder was scouted and signed under Ashworth, but Ali Mac wasn't. Either way, I thought the scouting was more down to a combo of the network we've built, which isn't going anywhere, and TB's moneyball-style algorithms.

I recall reading (but can't remember where) that Ashworth has been pretty influential in players deciding to join us and has been a big part of the appeal. I'm sure he's not the sole reason - but many clubs over the years have done this (Southampton for example) and done it well, for a while. But there's no sustainable secret sauce we are using to spot players. As a business model it lacks the power of being sustainable and defendable.

Edit: but long may it carry on and I really hope that Ashworth wasn't the key (and that he hasn't ripped the ass out of our plans by taking the list to the bottomless pockets of Newcastle)

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I don't think it's inevitable.

I totally understand that Tony has the right and expectation for the club to be run sustainably, but surely with the £100ish million we've had in in fees, we're going to to be at least breaking even and presumably turning a healthy surplus for the next financial year.

I believe the club when they say they don't need to sell players and I don't believe it's Tony's plan to try to recoup the money he's put in over the years.

Putting the club on a sustainable footing needs to be balanced with progressing up the table if we can. My guess is that we will resist all but the most ridiculous offer and this will be the case irrespective of the wishes of the player.

The issue the club has is the wages structure. All the time our top earners are on less than £100k a week then as soon as a big club is interested our players will want to leave as they will instantly double their income. At that point the club ether needs to propose a new contract on better wages, sell, or carry an unhappy player.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I recall reading (but can't remember where) that Ashworth has been pretty influential in players deciding to join us and has been a big part of the appeal. I'm sure he's not the sole reason - but many clubs over the years have done this (Southampton for example) and done it well, for a while. But there's no sustainable secret sauce we are using to spot players. As a business model it lacks the power of being sustainable and defendable.

Edit: but long may it carry on and I really hope that Ashworth wasn't the key (and that he hasn't ripped the ass out of our plans by taking the list to the bottomless pockets of Newcastle)

No one is irreplaceable. The secret sauce is the recruitment network and the analytical systems that Tony Bloom has created through his other business ventures. We are looking at an area of the market that many others will find it very very hard to replicate.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Can't be arsed to check dates but we signed Caicedo because the Albion had already done the leg work getting Billy Arse from the same club a couple of years (ish) early.
Which in turn may well be pre Cashworth.

Making Billy Arse our greatest ever signing.

I'd suggest you don't have to be a transfer guru to pick left backs with a degree from Barca or for that matter full internationals.

Not to dismiss Cashworth, the club made it quite apparent just how important he was, but by the same token world football isn't exactly shrouded in secrecy.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

As a complete aside, I met Ashworth on Saturday, walking down the ramp from the top car park, with his wife. He seemed a pleasant enough bloke, but I gave him a silent BOOOOOOOO anyway!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No chance that Tony will want to preside over a fire sale of half the team this window.

Caicedo stays.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
The Guardian, 10 PL talking points

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ue-10-talking-points-from-the-weekends-action

6) Caicedo bossing Brighton’s midfield
Despite losing his best players in consecutive summers, Graham Potter does not have free rein to spend. Instead, he has to turn inward. Yves Bissouma’s departure left a considerable midfield hole to plug, and the 20-year-old Moisés Caicedo is filling it nicely. Already a seasoned Ecuador international, Caicedo spent the first half of last season on loan at the Belgian side Beerschot. But in 10 starts since his debut, Brighton have lost just once – at the Etihad – conceding only nine. His work on the ball needs polishing, but off it he gleams already. On Saturday, having dominated the midfield at Old Trafford on the opening weekend, Caicedo was at it again. Bruno Guimarães was twice stopped, as was Allan Saint-Maximin in full flight. Promising signs. Sam Dalling

larus

Various people on twitter suggesting that Man U and Arsenal are looking at bids for him now.

Personally, I can’t see us entertaining a bid for him until end of the season. And if they think they’ll get him for £50m, then they’re deluded IMO.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Various people on twitter suggesting that Man U and Arsenal are looking at bids for him now.

Dreamers, they can all join the queue with wallets open next summer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here