Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Modern Football Terminology You Hate !

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Anything coined by Paul Merson, whose grasp of English is tenuous at best, e.g. "Worldy" or "hit the beans on toast"

What's a 'worldy' meant to mean?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Any time someone (commentator, player, person down the pub) casually mentions a competition including its sponsor name.

E.g. "Hopefully we can win the Barclays Premier League this year". It's not just the corporatisation, it just sounds so unnatural.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
"Squeaky bum time" there also seems to be an awful lot more "6 pointers" these days, both highly irritating. The thing I find most annoying though is the general hyping up of matches you would do anything to avoid. "Here we are for Stoke vs Sunderland in what promises to be an interesting match. Both teams having players who want to make the Norway squad announced in 3 months time" etc.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Six pointer.

Not sure when this came out but I cringe every time I hear it.
Try explaining to a nine year what a six pointer means.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Where to start?

Use of the following phrases:

tagging Football Club onto the name of any club often multiple times in the same sentence.

This, this, this!

We know Anytown United is a bl**dy football club, not the model sailing boat club or the bridge club!

This may be an attempt by the semi-erudite to eliminate the ubiquitous "yer know" for which footballers have rightly been lambasted in the past, but as far as I'm concerned, bring back "yer know" any day!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Using the team noun as a singular: "Brighton IS expected to do well this year" rather than "Brighton ARE expected to do well this year" (To carry on an argument from the 'Grammar Slam' thread!)

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
"Project". This word was used in Europe more and rarely in England, but is now regularly applied to English clubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here