Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Moby - Play

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I know this album got overplayed and hyped massively in the early 2000’s with every tune used in an advert etc and I did get a bit sick of it for a while then. But after one of the tunes popped up on my shuffle I decided to play the whole album for the first time in years and personally, I think it’s outstanding and a bit fogotten.

It does coincide with happy memories of driving my brand new company Peugeot 306 (which as an 18 year old I loved!) along the (much less busy!) A27 to Withdean to watch Bobby and co but it’s definitely a favourite of mine!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i leant to loath Moby because of the overplaying of this. then decade later discovered his previous two albums which i knew half the tracks and were bloody brilliant.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yeh, agree. I like the less overplayed songs on the album. And I'm a huge fan of his later work as well, I know many aren't. I just think that to get away with music that pompous you do actually have to be quite good at what you do

Codner's Crackpipe

Feb 25, 2005
Agree with comments above. Episode 2 of the Heavyweight podcast (“Gregor”) was about the source of the samples of a lot of the tracks on Play. I remember it being very interesting, and Moby coming out of it quite badly.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
My ex bought this and played it to death.
I seem to recall liking it, but I can't for the life of me remember a single song.
I also regularly mix him up with Beck for some reason

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I remember an ex buying it for me and we used to play it while making love. Anyway agree with previous comments about it. it is worth a relisten.

I read an article about him which was very interesting. Basically money and fame went to his head and he turned into a huge nob taking drugs with anyone and everyone - silly risky times and he came out the other side more humble and grounded.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Resound NYC is worth a listen if you want to hear some reworking of his early work.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I remember an ex buying it for me and we used to play it while making love. Anyway agree with previous comments about it. it is worth a relisten.

I read an article about him which was very interesting. Basically money and fame went to his head and he turned into a huge nob taking drugs with anyone and everyone - silly risky times and he came out the other side more humble and grounded.
Seem to recall there was some fairly unpleasantness, with a young actress, possibly Natalie Portman or Christina Ricci.
Or that might have been Beck.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Haven’t listened to it for many years, but remember there being some great tunes on it. It really suffered from overplay at the time I remember.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Seem to recall there was some fairly unpleasantness, with a young actress, possibly Natalie Portman or Christina Ricci.
Or that might have been Beck.
It was Moby (and Natalie Portman).

He claims he 'dated' her briefly, when she was 18, and he 32.

She remembers it as 'a creepy older guy, creeping on me'.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Started listening to his Music last year again after many years of not doing so. Great artist and many great songs.

His autobiography "Then it fell apart" is a very good read as well.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
The fact that it was EVERYWHERE is mostly bad (overplaying really is a turnoff), but also good in some respects. Listening to it really transports me back in time because there are so many good times the music links to simply because it was EVERYWHERE. I was 20 when Play came out and it was soundtracking memories as late as 2008 (or maybe '09) when I saw him live at a festival in Serbia.

I love that about music - it really unlocks the mind palace (as do some smells, but that's another story :lolol:)

Moby must have made an absolute MINT from all the adverts that used tracks from Play (if not, I hope he ditched his agent). It's a shame that it has tainted it for many.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
It was a great album. I got it on a promo before it was released, and had already played it to death before it was then overplayed to death, so shelved it for many years. Similarly, gave it a rerun a few years back when I got my new hifi and it really does mostly stand the test of time.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
It's a great album that I played and played. '18' imo is underrated. I saw him live, I was given tickets & thought it would be a bit boring, I then swapped my standing tickets to seating. That was a big mistake, the female vocalists on the 18 album who sing 'In This World' & 'One Of These Mornings' are mind blowing live. They're probably not the same people as on the album tbf.
You know when you go to gigs & the vocals sometimes sound absolutely nothing like it does on the album, this wasn't the case, it was one of the best gigs I've been to.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I believe he’s a vegan but doesn’t like to mention it. :smile:

IMG_1368.jpeg

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Really loved Everything is Wrong back in 1995; only caught up with the later stuff - some of which is very good, some of which is meh - after it was on all the adverts.
I like some of the things he's done more recently too (probably now a while ago): Last Night, some of Innocents.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A similar story, I really liked the album at the time, then simply through my own overplaying got bored of it. I’ve the CD. Now you’ve reminded me, I’ll give it another go.

That’s not a slight against Moby, exactly the same for me with many much loved albums at the time e.g. by Bjork, William Orbit.

It takes a special album/artist for fatigue not to kick in. The Smiths, The Jam, New Order, Joy Division, OMD and The Cure hold that magic for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here