Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moaning about The Amex, The Club, The Squad, The Travel etc...

Anyone thinking of having a moan either on here or directly to anyone at the club. Please STOP, take a few minutes to think about things and engage your brain before continuing. I seriously think there are a (hopefully minority) group of fans who really need to reset their mindset.

[soapbox]

At the moment I think too many people are thinking of The Amex (and Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club circa 2011/12 generally) in the same way that people think of a brand new car.

If you've ever gone to a car showroom and chosen a new car, poured over the brochure and options list, gone for a test drive, chosen the colour and then finally done the deal and placed the order. You then sit waiting for months and months whilst your order is processed, a build slot is confirmed, your car is built and eventually shipped and ready for collection. Throughout this time you've imagined it and pictured it being perfect. Then the day comes to collect it or soon after, and you notice a tiny imperfection or scratch in the paintwork, or something inside the car rattles when you go over a bump.

You lose all sense of reality and the fact that your new car is much better than your old one. It looks perfect to everyone else, but all you notice are the little niggles.

The mindset that people SHOULD have is the one of proud parents. You've waited months and months for your new arrival, you've had ups and downs but now the time has finally come and you couldn't be happier. Those visiting might think it's ears might stick out a bit more than they should, or it's eyes might not be the right shade of blue, and yes it has a few gaps in it's teeth, but none of these things actually matter. It is still PERFECT in your eyes and you are proud and elated.

Then as it grows up you have the excitement and the nerves of the first day at school, the day when some bigger boys pick on it or it takes a couple of knocks in the playground. But it is still your baby, you will always love it and support it and nurture it.

So stop moaning, picking faults, tutting and shaking your head when they don't move quick enough or get an answer to a question wrong... Instead, be a proud parent looking forward to seeing your beloved Albion grow bigger and stronger. And when things don't go to plan, don't say 'I told you so', get behind them and support them!

They need us as much as we need them.

[/soapbox]

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
But I don't get a free parking space right next to the stadium and I'll have to get on a train which will inconvenience me every matchday. This is unfair, I want my own parking space. :angry::angry::angry:

Last Summer

well f*ck a duck!
Jun 12, 2008
The Hill
Anyone thinking of having a moan either on here or directly to anyone at the club. Please STOP, take a few minutes to think about things and engage your brain before continuing. I seriously think there are a (hopefully minority) group of fans who really need to reset their mindset.

[soapbox]

At the moment I think too many people are thinking of The Amex (and Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club circa 2011/12 generally) in the same way that people think of a brand new car.

If you've ever gone to a car showroom and chosen a new car, poured over the brochure and options list, gone for a test drive, chosen the colour and then finally done the deal and placed the order. You then sit waiting for months and months whilst your order is processed, a build slot is confirmed, your car is built and eventually shipped and ready for collection. Throughout this time you've imagined it and pictured it being perfect. Then the day comes to collect it or soon after, and you notice a tiny imperfection or scratch in the paintwork, or something inside the car rattles when you go over a bump.

You lose all sense of reality and the fact that your new car is much better than your old one. It looks perfect to everyone else, but all you notice are the little niggles.

The mindset that people SHOULD have is the one of proud parents. You've waited months and months for your new arrival, you've had ups and downs but now the time has finally come and you couldn't be happier. Those visiting might think it's ears might stick out a bit more than they should, or it's eyes might not be the right shade of blue, and yes it has a few gaps in it's teeth, but none of these things actually matter. It is still PERFECT in your eyes and you are proud and elated.

Then as it grows up you have the excitement and the nerves of the first day at school, the day when some bigger boys pick on it or it takes a couple of knocks in the playground. But it is still your baby, you will always love it and support it and nurture it.

So stop moaning, picking faults, tutting and shaking your head when they don't move quick enough or get an answer to a question wrong... Instead, be a proud parent looking forward to seeing your beloved Albion grow bigger and stronger. And when things don't go to plan, don't say 'I told you so', get behind them and support them!

They need us as much as we need them.

[/soapbox]

Never before has a 'THIS' been more appropriate!

Wise words sir! :thumbsup:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Perspective.

This, 1996-97. League Two.

20 Hartlepool United 46 14 9 23 53 66 51
21 Torquay United 46 13 11 22 46 62 50
22 Exeter City 46 12 12 22 48 73 48
23 Brighton & Hove Albion 46 13 10 23 53 70 47 *
24 Hereford United 46 11 14 21 50 65 47

and this, 1997-98. In Gillingham.

20. Swansea City 46 13 11 22 49 62 50
21. Cardiff City 46 9 23 14 48 52 50
22. Hull City 46 11 8 27 56 83 41
23. Brighton & Hove Albion 46 6 17 23 38 66 35
24. Doncaster Rovers 46 4 8 34 30 113 20

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Yes we have some moaners, even i think some issues could have been handled better. However we have a chairman who is second to none, an exciting young manager who is already adored by the fans, a team lead by Martin Perry who has delivered an outstanding stadium to play championship football. We will be playing all our most local rivals in a packed ground with (for us) an unbelievable atmosphere. More people than ever will watch the team in luxury instead of a makeshift ground.

Thankyou Mr Bloom, Mr Poyet, Mr Perry countless others and of course Mr Richard Knight...Thankyou thankyou thankyou.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Perspective.

Interesting isn't it that all 5 clubs in the second list are now either in the Premiership or Championship, and, with the exception of Doncaster, who are arguably smaller, all about the same size and potential. I must admit I'd forgotten that the Jacks, Bluebirds and Tigers were almost in the same boat as us.

Thanks for all the positive comments (I'll ignore the 'Andrew Naylor' one!)

I guess I just find it hard to believe that people find the negatives to nit pick when we are just moving into a new landmark stadium, we have a passionate, supportive and ambitious chairman, one of the most respected and well liked young managers in football who repeatedly states he wants to stay with us and build our club up, a promising squad which includes our first and second £1m+ players (with more to come), and our last season outperformed even our most optimistic expectations...

Actually, when you think of it like that... What a load of crap! Booo! Sort it out! Shoot! Get it forward! Etc.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yep me and my family went to nearly all those games over those seasons. I remember the utter despair we often felt going obligingly to gillingham each week knowing we'd likely lose and the club could fold at anytime. Still we were committed sth and the club needed our money in very lean times. Never lost the faith that 6th aug 2011 would come one day. That's why it's going to be a very special day for us in less than TWO weeks!!

Perspective.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
But I don't get a free parking space right next to the stadium and I'll have to get on a train which will inconvenience me every matchday. This is unfair, I want my own parking space. :angry::angry::angry:
Funny...you really would want a parking place if you were disabled...just for once think of people who are less fortunate than you!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Interesting isn't it that all 5 clubs in the second list are now either in the Premiership or Championship, and, with the exception of Doncaster, who are arguably smaller, all about the same size and potential. I must admit I'd forgotten that the Jacks, Bluebirds and Tigers were almost in the same boat as us.

That is genuinely interesting and truly remarkable.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Thanks for all the positive comments (I'll ignore the 'Andrew Naylor' one!)

I guess I just find it hard to believe that people find the negatives to nit pick when we are just moving into a new landmark stadium, we have a passionate, supportive and ambitious chairman, one of the most respected and well liked young managers in football who repeatedly states he wants to stay with us and build our club up, a promising squad which includes our first and second £1m+ players (with more to come), and our last season outperformed even our most optimistic expectations...

Actually, when you think of it like that... What a load of crap! Booo! Sort it out! Shoot! Get it forward! Etc.

You hit the nail on the head. Look at the owners of QPR and the farce surrounding that club and all these odd overseas consortium's owning clubs. Sometimes we seem oblivious to how fortunate we are and how far we have come. Has there been mistakes yes of course there has but this is inevitable with a project and transformation of this magnitude. However the good massively outweighs the bad and we should count ourselves fortunate we have an accessible board who will listen to our problems and we should never take that for granted

One of the things that stuck with me from last night was Gus talking about the kind of style, attitude and character he looks for to fit the mould of 'a Brighton player'. This combined with the news about the training ground timeline and stadium expansion and I can't help but feel we are at the start of something incredible.

A time to enjoy people its been a long time coming

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here