Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mo Farah

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes, of course he is , silly me, that changes everything :dunce:

As a former member of the armed forces, you're the first to bleat on here whenever anyone mockingly mentions the Queen's German ancestory, and whilst I accept that goes back four generations rather Farah's two, I'd still put money on you insisting Farah's grandchlidren aren't as British as yours.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Sombody born in Mogadishu, who didnt come to this country until he was 8 , is never going to be as 'british as the rest of us' no matter how much you might want that to be the case.

You say "British as the rest of us" like it's something superior, let's hope Mo doesn't get a knighthood for his services to sport, i'd imagine that would also be a problem for you!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sombody born in Mogadishu, who didnt come to this country until he was 8 , is never going to be as 'british as the rest of us' no matter how much you might want that to be the case.

When we had an Empire, babies were born abroad, as their parents were serving. Cliff Richard, for example, was born in India. He came back to this country as a child, not a baby, with his parents.
A friend of mine was born in Egypt, as his father was serving in the RAF there.

Are you trying to say he isn't British either?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
When we had an Empire, babies were born abroad, as their parents were serving. Cliff Richard, for example, was born in India. He came back to this country as a child, not a baby, with his parents.
A friend of mine was born in Egypt, as his father was serving in the RAF there.

Are you trying to say he isn't British either?

I had to check, as I wasn't sure of the date, but it was 1960, when Somalia got their independence from the British. Up to that point it was British Somaliland (the Italians also had a large chunk of the area).
So, it has only been an independent country for 56 years in recent history. It also explains why the Farah family would've had a right to come to the UK.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Your definition of British is stuck in the last century though. He's as British as the rest of 'us'.

By many of the criteria that the xenophobes and racists like to apply, Mo would be considerably 'more British' than I am.

I was born outside the UK, bleat on quite a lot about our slave trading and colonial history, I am anti-monarchy, don't sing the national anthem and often support other teams against England or GB in international events.

But I am as British as anyone else and so is Mo.

Because in the end the likes of Bushy don't get to decide the criteria for the rest of us. Thank god.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I believe he's not only a magnificent athlete but a lovely human being, with great values. We should feel blessed that he chooses to be British...especially when there are thousands of Brits I wish were claiming to be Somalian. :thumbsup:

That's fair enough, but for balance we have had Somalis who have been far from lovely human beings, Mo's brother has down time in prison, we have had them involved in acts of terror and serious crime.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/failed...o-in-bristol/story-29630184-detail/story.html

You may well want to send British people you don't like to Somalia, we should do this once we send the Somalis here we don't want back to Somalia.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Hasn't Mo claimed for tax exile since 2011?

I'd say that is unlikely, not sure if the rules have changed but you can lose your citizenship if you do that for more than four years plus it's harder when you have ties like property in the UK. I'd say he probably gets tax breaks on the 90 day rule which anyone would do if they worked and trained like he does for nine months a year in Oregon.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Might have been better if you had googled it before you made a tit of yourself then ???

Possibly but I don't tend to google everything before I open my mouth so am happy to have got it wrong. If that makes me a tit, well hey ho I'm a tit on an Internet forum. Not going to slash my wrists over it

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I'd say that is unlikely, not sure if the rules have changed but you can lose your citizenship if you do that for more than four years plus it's harder when you have ties like property in the UK. I'd say he probably gets tax breaks on the 90 day rule which anyone would do if they worked and trained like he does for nine months a year in Oregon.

It was certainly reported that he tried to change his primary residence to Oregon in 2014 but not sure if that was successful...Following in a 'proud' tradition of wealthy Brits if so! How British are Ringo Starr, Roger Moore, David Coulthard, Michael Caine, Phil Collins, Lewis Hamilton...?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Well done Bozza, not only is NSC a roaring success but it also time travels, I appear to be in a 1970's sitcom!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here