Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MMA Vs. Boxing

cjwoolven

Jun 4, 2008
I was just wondering what different opinions we have on here, as there seems to be quite a few Boxing and UFC threads in the past.

Is Boxing better than MMA? or does MMA kick Boxing's arse?

Personally I think MMA is miles better, much more tactical and exciting.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It's difficult to compare the two as they're very different. I love both. The major plus side of MMA is that the best fight the best- there isn't any of the negotiating tv rights nonsense and fighters trying to protect unbeaten records.

BHABen

Jan 12, 2010
Even though i respect the way MMA has progressed in a short space of time, it is still way off boxing, when they can promote a fight bigger than what pacquiao vs Mayweather would be in terms of crowd, pay per view buys and money maybe my opnion will change, to me MMA is very similar to what is seen in most pub car parks on a fri evening

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
I am a big boxing fan and have been for most of my life. I used to get 'the ring' imported before we had internet messageboards etc. I have been watching the UFC and MMA in general for about 6 years.

The main problem with boxing is that the top fighters rarely fight each other at the peaks of their careers ie. Calzaghe vs Hopkins & Jones.

MMA puts the top fighters against each other which is brilliant and has really got my interest. Boxing on the other hand sells "events" such as Haye vs Harrison, people moaned that it wasnt competitive but it was never going to be, that is boxing im afraid.

As for MMA being like a fight in a pub carpark ! Yeah, some fights can be big ugly swing fests but most are very technical with the wrestling,BJJ and to a lesser degree karate and Judo.

The problem with MMA is that if fighters dont use their own skill set ie Gracie vs Hughes then it just becomes a really bad kick boxing match and noone wants to see that.

My answer (in the end) is that they are totally different sports so one will never be better than the other.

cjwoolven

Jun 4, 2008
Theres no doubt that this thread will end in 'Two seperate sports' sort of thing.

I've taken a particular liking to MMA, through the technical aspect thats involved, there's many more outcomes and more things can happen than in boxing. But this is coming from a rose-tinted perspective as I wasn't really into Boxing, and never have been.

That said, Boxing is on another level at the moment promotion-wise. Sell-out crowds, huge hype and build-up, which will enhance the fight before it has even happened. Once MMA becomes more popular and more of a regular thing on sports channels, it could pick up.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Essentially two very different sports but never has MMA had such a chance to win new fans. The essential point being that boxing has died on its arse in recent years with only the Pac Man and Mayweather giving it any credibility. Just look at the recent Haye v Harrison farce.

Once upon time we had Lewis & Tyson providing quality from the top down and earlier than that at home we had Benn, Eubank, Watson and then across the pond Hagler, Hearns and Leonard. A golden age of quaility boxing with creditable match ups. Now its just too many organisations and numerous anonymous champs and spoon fed crap like Amir Khan.

My first experience of MMA was via Bravo about 6 years ago and admitedly its a slow learning curve but the real unpreditability is what really appeals to me. The battle of styles and attempting to take the fight to your strength areas. More inportantly the match ups make sense with no feeding of easy opponents to build up a fighter.

At the helm of the MMA drive has been the UFC who have managed to pull it away from the ugly early misconceptions of "human cock fighting" in a cage. Now its a bunch of highly skilled athletes displaying a fine mixture of incredible technique and occasionally brute strength.

You wont appreciate some aspects of MMA straight away. Wrestling (Greco & Free Style) means nothing to most UK observers but you slowly pick up what is going on. Similarly Ju-Jitsu maybe a mystery at first but very soon you can appreciate the highly tehcnical aspects and the battle for position.

Contrary to popular belief it's not no holds barred and there are strct rules. Just occasionally the odd fight can look a bit bloody but thats as much to the light weight gloves used and unlike boxing fights are stopped very quickly so there is less chance of taking serious sustained damage to the head.

Right now MMA with the UFC at the forefront has real chance of getting mainstream recognition. Personally i can only see a few obstacles still to be tackled. Firstly, whatever the costs it needs to get across from ESPN to SKY Sports. Its taken the first few steps in that direction by getting the Ultimate Fighter reality show on SKY Sports 4. Secondly, the shows they have promoted in the UK this far have lacked the big name attractions and sought only to satisfy the UK fans with home grown fighters. Thirdly, they could do with a personable expert providing an introductions the both the history of the sport plus the varrious skill sets. Randy Couture and Joe Rogan would be ideal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here