Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] MK Dons v Albion U21s, Bristol Street Motors Trophy round of 32, Tuesday December 5, 7:00pm

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Did anyone pick up the commentators musing on whether " is Joe Knight related to Leon Knight who also came through the youth system at Brighton ".
Yeah I heard that.
But by that time, I'd already mentally put the 2 homer commentators on ignore as they were really only interested in Dons

I wonder if Johnny and Warren come over as overly biased to our opposition supporters?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Did anyone pick up the commentators musing on whether " is Joe Knight related to Leon Knight who also came through the youth system at Brighton ".
Colour blind and ignorant. I know he was a short ass but he was 21 when he joined us from Chelsea.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They obviously hadn't done much homework on the Brighton players. On several occasions they identified the Brighton player in action as Duffus - when for one very obvious reason (apart from the number on his back) the player concerned was not young Josh Duffus!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To think our academy scholars can completely dominate a game like that, and play with control in the RDZ style too, was fantastic to watch.
The i-follow stats gave possession as 51.9% to us, 48.1 to them, which I find very hard to believe after watching the match - I thought that we were keeping the ball very well for long periods of time.
Amazing point of the night, throughout the first half, whilst trying to manage our shape and deployment, coach Shannon Ruth was honestly herding our shape with a sheepdog whistle. Absolutely piercing and audible from 120 yards away, he seemed to have four different whistles, one for push up, one for drop back, one to narrow, and one to stretch width. In a virtually silent stadium, it was incredible to hear. Why shout and lose your voice, when you can just control like a shepherd with a piercing whistle?!
:) :lolol:

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
Do we still have to play all next rounds away from home. ?

I'm not 100% sure. The rules (https://www.efl.com/documents/efl-trophy-rules/) state that in the group stages the 'invited' teams (the 16 Prem / Championship academies) shall be the away team but then goes on to state that in the knockout rounds whoever is drawn first is the home team. In last years competition there were definitely U21 teams at home in the round of 32.

Having said that in last night's fixtures all the academies were away, maybe that was just the way the draw panned out #shrug

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
The i-follow stats gave possession as 51.9% to us, 48.1 to them, which I find very hard to believe after watching the match - I thought that we were keeping the ball very well for long periods of time.

:) :lolol:
Agreed. There is no way on earth that we had less than 65% possession, no way at all. That must be a YTS Trainee doing the measurement!

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
They obviously hadn't done much homework on the Brighton players. On several occasions they identified the Brighton player in action as Duffus - when for one very obvious reason (apart from the number on his back) the player concerned was not young Josh Duffus!
To be fair, most of the Brighton players are largely un-homeworkable. Most of them didn't exist before yesterday morning!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I’ve seen us play 12 times this season. Tonight’s ref was the absolute best by a country mile, got everything right, saw all the dark arts and dealt with them, no nonsense, no errors, no paddies from the players or the coaches, a superb performance, controlled the game, but was invisible too. Why do we have to put up with absolute conceited shit wanker refs at the highest level, when there are people of this calibre lower down the pile.

Neil Hair is the refs name. His performance was honestly as good as any of the players tonight, which you don’t hear very often.
This - the ref was very good, any little foul was picked up. You wonder if there are different rules for kids and for the grownups 🤔🙄

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I'm not 100% sure. The rules (https://www.efl.com/documents/efl-trophy-rules/) state that in the group stages the 'invited' teams (the 16 Prem / Championship academies) shall be the away team but then goes on to state that in the knockout rounds whoever is drawn first is the home team. In last years competition there were definitely U21 teams at home in the round of 32.

Having said that in last night's fixtures all the academies were away, maybe that was just the way the draw panned out #shrug

As with the U21s vs Steyning in the Sussex Senior Cup I could envisage the club agreeing to play a fixture away so the hosting club could make some money. Otherwise it is at Lancing (tiny capacity) or at the Amex where the small crowd will be rattling around the big stadium (a bit like the MK Dons stadium yesterday).

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Looks like MK Dons are playing their U21s too - no players who started their last league match.

Edit: MK Dons commentators saying 7 of the MK Dons side are first teamers, so that's probably right - none of them played in the last match though (unless the Albion website has got the team wrong).

I think they have to play at least 7 players that played in the last competitive match or they get a fine (which I believe is quite disproportionate). It's done so the youngsters are able to play against proper teams.

Personally I'd be fuming if we were under this and whilst I want our youngsters to do well, it's a joke we have a team in this competition. Alongside all the other U21s teams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here