Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mk Dons get Alan Smith

Gwm

Oct 25, 2011
I am posting this as I remember him being talked about as a potential transfer for Brighton. MK Dons are only going to be paying £2,500 a week. Seems like a great deal for them.

Here is the article from today's paper

MK DONS have agreed a shock deal with Newcastle to sign midfielder Alan Smith.
Toon boss Alan Pardew will let his ex-Manchester United and Leeds star go to the League One promotion chasers.

Smith, 31, who was capped 19 times by England, has six months left on his £60,000-a-week contract at St James' Park.

Newcastle will continue to pay him £57,500 a week, with his new club paying the remainder.

Smith has been impressed by the Dons and believes he can get them into the Championship. The only stumbling block is interest from three clubs in China in the last few days.

Smith is desperate to start playing football again, having not started a game for a year. He told SunSport earlier this month how he was frustrated on the sidelines.

A pal said: "Alan wants to be playing again with a club which is ambitious.

"It doesn't matter if it is in League One if the team has the ability to get promotion."

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
Good signing for them, from what little I have seen of him when Newcastle were in the Championship his legs have gone completely. A great talent at Leeds before suffering terrible injury at United.

Gwm

Oct 25, 2011
Good signing for them, from what little I have seen of him when Newcastle were in the Championship his legs have gone completely. A great talent at Leeds before suffering terrible injury at United.

He was part of the Newcastle team that got them promoted from this league. Let's face it can his legs really be worse than Vicente?

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
He always struck me as one of those players who works very hard without much result (well, by "always", I mean "since that horrific life-changing injury" to be fair!). Still, I've no doubt he could do a job at Championship level and I reckon Franchise have got themselves an excellent deal there.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Always quite liked Smith but I hope this fails miserably as I'd hate to see that unspeakable Noddy club in the Championship.

D

Deleted member 22389

Always quite liked Smith but I hope this fails miserably as I'd hate to see that unspeakable Noddy club in the Championship.

Don't think anyone would mind if they started playing as Milton Keynes FC from the start, and from the very bottom of the football ladder like every other team has too.

I thought it was just Wimbledon FC, but looking at the wikipedia entry QPR, Luton, Palace and Banet where all asked if they wanted to move to MK. :sick:
Relocation of Wimbledon F.C. to Milton Keynes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's why the current arrangement still stinks especially when Wimbledon have appeared as AFC Wimbledon back down the road.

Another interesting entry
| The Buckinghamshire Free Press Reserve Tea Stirrer

Last edited by a moderator:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here