NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1371032172237352962[/TWEET]

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't have a strong feeling on this, but what about the idea that the police saw this event as not so much women standing up for their rights, but standing up against the police and how they work, and the met seeing their authority challenged were on edge and ready to lash out to re-establish that authority? They told 'reclaim the night' no, but the people showed up any way, the people chanted at them, so they hit back knowing they had the power to do so, without much individual punishment (I mean everyone is calling for Cressida Dick to go, I'm not seeing many people calling for the individual officers to go or face punishment). So not really the police trying to stop women stand up for their rights, but more malicious than "we had to because of covid!"

Yeah, very possibly.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I don't agree with how the police handled it, from refusing to work with the organisers to weighing in so heavily once it all got feisty but, and maybe I am being incredibly naive, I just don't believe the policemen and women went into that crowd to stop women standing up for their rights.

well they certainly stopped their right to assemble in an almost fascist display of authority,they have done their image no good whatsoever.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
well they certainly stopped their right to assemble.

Of course the right to assemble is just so crucial during a pandemic! :ffsparr:

And what did this gathering hope to achieve from a tangible perspective in relation to the safety of women?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
well they certainly stopped their right to assemble in an almost fascist display of authority,they have done their image no good whatsoever.

There is no right to assemble, we’re in a lockdown. We’re all going through it. It’s a global pandemic, the police are there to try and uphold the law. It’s an impossible job.

What’s the odds anyone, that some of the hundreds all cramped together in this protest were clapping for the NHS last month I wonder?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Of course the right to assemble is just so crucial during a pandemic! :ffsparr:

And what did this gathering hope to achieve from a tangible perspective in relation to the safety of women?

other protesters have been afforded the right to assemble during the pandemic ...!!! over 70 000 at Trafalgar Sq the other week to hear David Ike's speech ...BLM were afforded the right to march and protest....!!! having said that this vigil has obviously been hijacked by people with different agenda.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
There is no right to assemble, we’re in a lockdown. We’re all going through it. It’s a global pandemic, the police are there to try and uphold the law. It’s an impossible job.

What’s the odds anyone, that some of the hundreds all cramped together in this protest were clapping for the NHS last month I wonder?

you're pro lockdown , plenty aren't se post above.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
other protesters have been afforded the right to assemble during the pandemic ...!!! over 70 000 at Trafalgar Sq the other week to hear David Ike's speech ...BLM were afforded the right to march and protest....!!! having said that this vigil has obviously been hijacked by people with different agenda.

Yes but a large proportion of those yesterday should have been home sorting the kids out and making sure hubby's tea was ready :)

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
I was at the Clapham Common bandstand during the day and again last night. In the afternoon it was solemn and emotional with people silently paying respects. In the evening, a large crowd assembled again peacefully and taking care re distancing and masks. If the police had negotiated with the women of Reclaim The Streets who first proposed the vigil, it would probably have been a quiet one and over by 7pm.

However banning it made more people turn up I reckon. The coppers on duty were in hi vis and when told to move in on the bandstand, it just didn't look good. Their presence ("shame on you") wound up the crowd. A huge male officer towered over a small young woman, apparently trying to stop her speaking about Sarah Everard. Given that one of their number is in a cell charged with abducting & murdereing Sarah nearby, this gave all the wrong signals. And it was weirdly backlit giving a horror film feel! The crowd which was predominantly younger women chanted to "let her speak". The police seemed to symbolise danger and aggression not safety. Whoever made the key decisions made a huge error of judgement.

Individual police I spoke with realised that it didn't look good but they were just doing what they were told. I asked them to pass my thoughts up the chain of command. With the heavy handed presence, it was always going to end badly. I left expecting to see the usual mendacious headlines re rioters on the news so was pleasantly surprised by the fairly accurate reporting so far.

I suspect the ban also attracted some more activistic anti-police attendees, but the gathering was basically peaceful and did not require ten police vans and a helicopter buzzing overhead. The police presence inflamed the situation badly. I am hoping that this febrile moment and media attention might actually lead to some useful change in the way the State operates in such situations and in the wider field of violence against women.

Last edited:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The whole thing is wrong

But you don’t pick and choose who gets fined, if the 65 year old broke the rules around organising a gathering she should get a fine.

Unless I missed something no members of the Met Police have been arrested and charged this week with murdering a Glasgow Rangers fan or anti masker? They turned down the opportunity to talk to organisers about having a Covid safe vigil and allowed it to happen organically instead. Then when it went dark - granted circumstances in the vigil/protest might have changed - they came along and started snatching women from the crowd less than a fortnight after what happened to Sarah Everard.

You do realise that in three months time when, in theory, all restrictions are lifted the Police have still got to continue Policing and will be doing so with large parts of the female population not trusting them or scared of them?

If you can't see that as a minimum this looks appalling then there is no point continuing discussing it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Unless I missed something no members of the Met Police have been arrested and charged this week with murdering a Glasgow Rangers fan or anti masker? They turned down the opportunity to talk to organisers about having a Covid safe vigil and allowed it to happen organically instead. Then when it went dark - granted circumstances in the vigil/protest might have changed - they came along and started snatching women from the crowd less than a fortnight after what happened to Sarah Everard.

You do realise that in three months time when, in theory, all restrictions are lifted the Police have still got to continue Policing and will be doing so with large parts of the female population not trusting them or scared of them?

If you can't see that as a minimum this looks appalling then there is no point continuing discussing it.

Covid Safe? In the past few weeks we’ve had people fined for sitting on benches, visiting beaches and the idea of masking runners - if that isn’t covid safe then a few hundred people not socially distancing in a park in London is certainly not covid safe - the rules are absolutely shambolic as they have been from day 1, but they are the rules and you don’t get to pick and choose which ones we follow.

People can’t visit family today on Mother’s Day because it isn’t covid safe.

There has been 10k fines handed out to quite a few.

Rangers fans were fined

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-northamptonshire-56318880

Anti masker/nut jobbers got fined

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....ined-10000-for-organising-anti-lockdown-rally

Party arrangers got fined

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.lbc.co.uk/news/london-tier-3-three-office-party-fine-10k-police/

Why should someone you agree with not get fined/arrested Doesn’t work like that I’m afraid.

Maybe if people actually paid attention to the powers we have given Johnson and his cabinet in the first place they wouldn’t be shocked of what we have been left with.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Covid Safe? In the past few weeks we’ve had people fined for sitting on benches, visiting beaches and the idea of masking runners - if that isn’t covid safe then a few hundred people not socially distancing in a park in London is certainly not covid safe - the rules are absolutely shambolic as they have been from day 1, but they are the rules and you don’t get to pick and choose which ones we follow.

People can’t visit family today on Mother’s Day because it isn’t covid safe.

There has been 10k fines handed out to quite a few.

Rangers fans were fined

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-northamptonshire-56318880

Anti masker/nut jobbers got fined

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....ined-10000-for-organising-anti-lockdown-rally

Party arrangers got fined

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.lbc.co.uk/news/london-tier-3-three-office-party-fine-10k-police/

Why should someone you agree with not get fined/arrested Doesn’t work like that I’m afraid.

Maybe if people actually paid attention to the powers we have given Johnson and his cabinet in the first place they wouldn’t be shocked of what we have been left with.

Don't think you saw my question about any of those groups protesting having a member murdered in the last couple of weeks which a serving Metropolitan Police officer was subsequently charged with? Also if they were that bothered about Covid spreading why did they kettle them?

But never mind. It's just most BAME communities and now Women who don't trust the Police. Us white men can still walk down the street safely and be left alone by them and that's the main thing. Thank god we have the brave Police to be able to protect us from the likes of this 5 feet 2 woman it took several officers to get to the floor and handcuff before dragging into a van - which in no way looked bad after the events of the last week - only to ask her name and details before letting her go without charge.

EwYqTTHW8AY2MrW.jpeg

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing

In fairness the law has changed since the BLM and Football Lads protested last year.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Language is really important. I’ve heard Jess Philips talking about the Met putting the ‘boot in’, you’re using ‘snatching’, heard another woman talking about women being ‘thrown’ to the ground. It’s all irresponsible hyperbole and fans the flames. One clip I saw was female officers trying to contain women protesters, yet they’re accused of ‘manhandling’ ironically - are they to be criticised for doing their job? The police are not the enemy here, some sick man is and for all we know he might be mentally ill from years of stress policing London's streets. We’ll have to wait and see I guess.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Don't think you saw my question about any of those groups protesting having a member murdered in the last couple of weeks which a serving Metropolitan Police officer was subsequently charged with? Also if they were that bothered about Covid spreading why did they kettle them?

But never mind. It's just most BAME communities and now Women who don't trust the Police. Us white men can still walk down the street safely and be left alone by them and that's the main thing. Thank god we have the brave Police to be able to protect us from the likes of this 5 feet 2 woman it took several officers to get to the floor and handcuff before dragging into a van - which in no way looked bad after the events of the last week - only to ask her name and details before letting her go without charge.

View attachment 134895

So now covid respects those that have a rightful cause? If this was any other group it would be in the covidiots group already.

Have you been equally as outraged at those groups mentioned above?

The law is the issue here and people have been cheering on this sort of strict behaviour all year and now are upset because it’s affecting a cause they (and I support)

Ive already said it was a mess and the police went ott, but under the current regulations under mass gatherings they shouldn’t have been there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here