Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Missing Woman in London

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Regrettably that's the society we have become. It's why you no longer get a respectful minutes silence any more because there is always a minority that will hijack it for their own purposes.

I would suggest the vast majority of those that attended did so to honour Sarah Everard but small groups with their own political agendas decided to use the event to promote their cause. In doing so, in my opinion, they set their cause back.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Again for the police sympathisers Clapham Common has been packed on weekends during the pandemic hundreds of people out enjoying the open space with no police presence. Stop using covid as an excuse for aggressive Policing this event would of passed peacefully with a few police their for safety.

Is there mass gathering every week?

The rule is stupid, last night was a mess but this is 100 percent down to Mps refusing to do the job they are elected to do.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016

I am assuming that you are meaning to imply that the video that you linked to, shows that it was not a peaceful vigil?

I see no violent actions in that clip? Or are you suggesting that similar chants at a football ground once we get back (for example, directed at Grealish, any of several refs, or similar 'villains' in the eyes of supporters) would justify Police or Stewarding actions of a similar kind to that which took place last night at Clapham, because they are not peaceful?

Genuinely confused and baffled at what point you are trying to make :shrug:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Does anyone believe that the police went in like that because it was women standing up for their rights? Are we saying that is the reason the police turned to violence? Is that what people think?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
And yet a mass gathering in Glasgow last weekend - far bigger and with far less social distancing - is lightly policed.

The difference is, of course, that was nearly all male. Vagabond has no problem with mass gatherings of men but let women get involved and it's another story.

However, you paint it, this is a shocking behaviour by the police. Women protesting violence against women are treated violently. Given the circumstances, they should have stood back and let the protest peacefully fizzle out. All they've done is inflame the situation.

Where on earth did I say the Glasgow fans gathering was acceptable? Point me to that please. Oh.. but you won’t be able to.

We’re in a global pandemic, any mass gatherings are against the law and especially if you’re not wearing masks. I feel the same about all the cases involved. I don’t particularly care what the gender is or isn’t. I don’t want another lockdown, I want people to go back to work and have livelihoods to take care of their families, I don’t want more people to die. It’s really quite simple.

Shame on you for lying to make a point. If you have any decency you’ll apologise.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Aren't you allowed to sing at a vigil?

A bit rich coming from a football fan.

not like they were singing Kumbaya. pretty sure the wording constitutes a public order offence, if it were a football crowd the happy sticks would be out.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well, statistics show that the next few victims will be working class women of ethnic backgrounds beaten to death by their partners and not a pretty, white lady from a good background so there won’t be anymore vigils for a while.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I am assuming that you are meaning to imply that the video that you linked to, shows that it was not a peaceful vigil?

I see no violent actions in that clip? Or are you suggesting that similar chants at a football ground once we get back (for example, directed at Grealish, any of several refs, or similar 'villains' in the eyes of supporters) would justify Police or Stewarding actions of a similar kind to that which took place last night at Clapham, because they are not peaceful?

Genuinely confused and baffled at what point you are trying to make :shrug:

Seriously?

A peaceful vigil to pay respects isn’t singing “ f*** the police”......also note no mask worn by the loudest one.

You are genuinely confused and baffled by this point?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
While I'm sure there were a few rentamob, professional demonstrators present, The behaviour of the Met was ridiculously over the top.
If your ultimate boss is Priti Patel, then you pretty much have carte blanche to Bully at will. I suspect Johnson will be telling ministers that it's time to 'form a square around the Pritster' again.

Opinion, not fact. Also, and ironically, why should women committing an illegal act be treated differently to us (male) football fans too...? :)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I’m guessing you watched the clip with the sound off?

If I was at the Amex singing “f*** the police” I would be thrown out and banned.

I would add that if we do get back to the Amex and it's under covid guidelines and they are then ignored with everyone crowding in to one area and chant similar then the club would get us thrown out.

I can't believe anyone would think anything different.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
what would have been different if the organisers had been allowed to go head? same with a larger crowd. some didnt want a vigil, they always wanted a protest as we saw.

Reclaims These Streets had hired stewards, were planning a route to keep things moving etc. They were organising it, and would have managed it, instead of the random shit-show last night.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Does anyone believe that the police went in like that because it was women standing up for their rights? Are we saying that is the reason the police turned to violence? Is that what people think?

Astonishing isn’t it.

The mind boggles at how some people think.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I mentioned the Brighton protest/vigil last night, but there were similar ones in Bristol and Nottingham that I have read about, that haven't had problems.

A gently, gently approach would have been appropriate, imo.

I totally agree.

But the London one was an obvious focal point, and attracted anti-establishment protesters (some even wearing provocative T-shirts), and the Police fell for it hook, line and sinker.

The fact that the words 'vigil' and 'protest' are being used interchangably (even by female politicians) says a lot, I think.

One big mess.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Reclaims These Streets had hired stewards, were planning a route to keep things moving etc. They were organising it, and would have managed it, instead of the random shit-show last night.

That well may be the case but that wouldn't have stopped the small minority of eventually hijacking the event. How many times have we seen organized protests/marches turn ugly?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
That well may be the case but that wouldn't have stopped the small minority of eventually hijacking the event. How many times have we seen organized protests/marches turn ugly?

Sure, but then the organisers would have been responsible. They would have worked with police - and, you'd like to think, would have dissuaded them from going in heavy handed.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
This. Rangers fans left alone. Liverpool fans left alone. Footy Lads allowed to rampage round London for a whole day. Women stood peacefully in a bandstand are cuffed and manhandled into a van (and, BTW, what if they were Covid free but the officer arresting was a carrier?).

Utterly disgraceful. Cressida Dick has to go today. She's ultimately responsible for Diplomatic Protection employing a wrong 'un and her officers overreacting afterwards. And those are hardly her first screw ups either. Dreadful woman.

Rangers fans were not left alone. Once safe to do so the police arrrested 28 and gave out multiple COVID penalties in addition. Footy lads was pre pandemic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here