Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Missing Woman in London

Goberpiles

Feb 25, 2017
Police are still searching places, not confirmed the body is hers which I find astonishing given it was found a few days ago. Unless they have some very hard evidence, I do hope the Police don't come out and say they have the wrong person which wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Police are still searching places, not confirmed the body is hers which I find astonishing given it was found a few days ago. Unless they have some very hard evidence, I do hope the Police don't come out and say they have the wrong person which wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

When the remains of a body are found it suggests that it was dismembered,burnt or had been there a long time.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Think she knows it's a ridiculous idea but used it to promote the conversation on the basis that the Police are suggesting women do more to protect themselves including not going out at night, ie what's sauce for the goose etc...

It's a dumb idea, especially as the statistics are that of the women killed, most are killed by their partner.

Furthermore, there is more background emerging to this particular case involving previous alleged activities of the officer concerned.
It is dumb. There would be riots if they tried to enforce this curfew.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
https://www.mylondon.news/news/zone-1-news/sarah-everard-6pm-curfew-men-20090712

Sarah Everard: 6pm curfew for men proposed in Parliament by Green Party Baroness

At the two ends of the bell curve there is.....stupidity. This is the other end of the bell curve to the sort of comments we heard in the 80s about 'contributory negligence' (and still hear, in certain types of male company).

However, I suspect the rest of us should move on and support all the positive and sensible initiatives rather than dwell on the utterances of the twerps.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

It's the Green Party.

There is no chance of them having the opportunity to enforce anything, ever, at a national level.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
At the two ends of the bell curve there is.....stupidity. This is the other end of the bell curve to the sort of comments we heard in the 80s about 'contributory negligence' (and still hear, in certain types of male company).

However, I suspect the rest of us should move on and support all the positive and sensible initiatives rather than dwell on the utterances of the twerps.

Good use of the word "twerps"

I approve

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
well at a time when the govt are relying on the police to enforce covid rules and restrictions surely a story such as this is a bit of a body blow , nice bit of whataboutery though all the same .....:)

The original point related to your use of the term ‘beautiful’ about the victim, which is completely irrelevant. Anyway, moving on before Guinness Bore arrives again.

:)

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
The original point related to your use of the term ‘beautiful’ about the victim, which is completely irrelevant. Anyway, moving on before Guinness Bore arrives again.

:)

ok mate .... the day we cant say that a 20 something year old ,white woman who happens to be beautiful is beautiful is the day you
can shove your pc bollocks into your shit locker ......not you specifically mind ...:kiss: once you have your own offspring you realise that life is ,in escence, beautiful ..............you need to be some sort of weird to not realise it .

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The debate is confusing risk with fear.

1) Men are far more likely to be murdered and far more likely to murdered in a public place by a stranger.
2) Women are far more likely to be in fear of walking alone at night than men.

However fear is real and nobody bases it simply on risk alone. If that was the case nobody would be afraid of flying. Society needs to understand why women are frightened walking the streets and what everyone needs to do to change that.

To a women walking alone any man can be viewed as a potential attacker, but men generally don't view it like that.

There might be something us men can learn from social distancing to help that.

Daughter is 27, 5’1 and not really for me to judge attractiveness, son is 23, 5’9 and as fit as a butcher’s dog. Not sure what you mean by ‘fears and reasons’ - either could be attacked, I just think it more likely my son would be. Feral groups of lads attack lads - that’s a more likely scenario in my mind.

Not sure I can answer to be honest - I’d be worried about both, would pay for both and would rush out to pick either of them up (yes, even now at their ages).

The fear comes from experience. My daughter saw a flasher when she was 13 walking home from school.
I know of at least two cases of sexual assaults by taxi drivers locally, on women.
Every woman has experienced unwanted attention.

It’s true women are far more likely to be murdered at home, and two are. Every week.

Interesting debate, all valid points here.

I think part of the debate comes from the type and severity of crimes that men and women are exposed to.

I've been set upon by a group for no reason once as an adolescent and twice as an adult and I've been robbed at a festival. Given my background growing up in a chavvy bit of Burgess Hill I've had my fair share of punch ups and I think this negates the fear element - I know it's very unlikely I'll ever be seriously injured or sexually assaulted as I'm relatively able to defend myself.

It's not the same for women. Women are less able to defend themselves against men because of the size difference. Combined with the greater likelihood of sexual violence and the terrible lifelong repercussions of such an attack make the fear element far far worse.

There's so many different factors at play here that it's difficult to sum up without writing an essay, but hopefully my point makes some sense!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

well , they caught the guy and a few days later they are finding remains a fair distance away so the likelyhood is that it is her body and that he is the culprit ...not after an argument , this is tragic ....anyone taken by violence is a tragedy but 27 and in full bloom is moreso in my opinion .....sorry if I've projected anything otherwise.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Interesting debate, all valid points here.

I think part of the debate comes from the type and severity of crimes that men and women are exposed to.

I've been set upon by a group for no reason once as an adolescent and twice as an adult and I've been robbed at a festival. Given my background growing up in a chavvy bit of Burgess Hill I've had my fair share of punch ups and I think this negates the fear element - I know it's very unlikely I'll ever be seriously injured or sexually assaulted as I'm relatively able to defend myself.

It's not the same for women. Women are less able to defend themselves against men because of the size difference. Combined with the greater likelihood of sexual violence and the terrible lifelong repercussions of such an attack make the fear element far far worse.

There's so many different factors at play here that it's difficult to sum up without writing an essay, but hopefully my point makes some sense!

can i just sum up by saying any male who physically abuses a female should be punished to the full extent of the law , you can argue all day long
about circumstances but at the end of the day if you are a man you don't hurt women , if you do then there is something wrong with you , it's up there with racism in things that should not be a problem in contemporary society.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

We’ve been under some form of house arrest on and off for a year, currently very little is open and shit like this still happens.

Not only is if dumb, it’s dangerous.

Mark Drakeford (whose son is in jail for a sexual assault) has refused to rule it out “if needed”

I’m awaiting the first Male celebrity to do this as a virtue signalling exercise.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The most shocking part of this sad tale is that the officer is white and not black, especially considering the area too. All very strange and the more details that come out the more intriguing it is. Something has gone very wrong somewhere. Thoughts and prayers to the lady’s friends and family’s. R.I.P

Wow. This is for real?

Damn. Racism really is still here isn’t it and we have to take knee. Good lord. I’m guessing (hoping) you’re of a certain age.. but I wonder if you realise how racist you are?

Genuinely scary.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
can i just sum up by saying any male who physically abuses a female should be punished to the full extent of the law , you can argue all day long
about circumstances but at the end of the day if you are a man you don't hurt women , if you do then there is something wrong with you , it's up there with racism in things that should not be a problem in contemporary society.

Every word you say is correct and I would carefully expand it from the context of the discussion to to say any person who abuses any person, either physically, mentally or online should be punished to the full extent of the law.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
We’ve been under some form of house arrest on and off for a year, currently very little is open and shit like this still happens.

Not only is if dumb, it’s dangerous.

Mark Drakeford (whose son is in jail for a sexual assault) has refused to rule it out “if needed”

I’m awaiting the first Male celebrity to do this as a virtue signalling exercise.

This is currently being played out on social media. The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if certain people have been waiting for such an event to push an agenda. Like you say it's dangerous. It makes it look like a big assault on civil liberties is under way. It certainly detracts from this case. Hopefully it'll soon fizzle out, but it's been trending for two days now on Twatter.

The internet conversation at the moment seemed to be mixing all types of behaviour from the oafish (catcalling) to the creepy (dick pics) to this particular crime and labelling it all as "what men do to women", which helps no one. You can tell people not to catcall, you can shame people into not sending dick pics, but I think people who kidnap, rape, and murder are unreachable. They can't be reasoned with. They can't be "educated". Some might've been psychologically damaged by others; some might just be inclined that way for some reason, but I really can't see how we can ever live in a society where it doesn't happen to some extent. It's a fact of life, alas. We can only look for signs, minimise risks, and deal with the aftermath.

Using Jimmy Savile as an example. I don't think he killed, but he raped hundreds. I don't think "teach your sons to respect women" would've made one iota of difference to him. He did it because he wanted to. He was protected, people covered up for him, others knew but stayed silent, perhaps knowing it was pointless to bring it up. He should've been stopped. He should've been stopped very early on. But I don't see how he could've been prevented from starting. He was always going to do it and was always on the lookout for opportunities. Unfortunately, the circles he moved in made those opportunities frequent and constant.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Every word you say is correct and I would carefully expand it from the context of the discussion to to say any person who abuses any person, either physically, mentally or online should be punished to the full extent of the law.

I'd sum it up as self-defence is the only valid form of violence.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Exactly, it shouldn't be a gender specific. More men are killed by other men than women killed by men. The majority of women that are killed are not victims to random acts, they are killed by their partners.

This one particular case shouldn't be what dictates policy but it should add momentum to discussions about behaviour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here