Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Missing submersible.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Screenshot_20230624-165843~2.png

All I can say is thank God that Ross was not subjected to the horrors that these hapless souls endured.
I hope that lessons are learned and any future similar explorations are subject to rigorous testing prior to any commercial voyages.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And the bizarre thing about that is the theory that beached whales die simply because their organs aren't supported by buoyancy (I think - would be glad to be corrected).
But how can they avoid the bends when resufacing from such depths? They must be holding their breath because they are mammals.
And it takes a couple of hours for a sub to go that far, but a whale can go there and back while holding its breath.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
I don't disagree that it has been referred to as a rich man's folly but the point I was making is that it wouldn't make a difference whether it was rich men or poor men (or women) to the interest in the story. It's the rather unique set of circumstances. The Thai football team stuck in a cave or the Chilean miners weren't rich people but they were out of the ordinary circumstances.
There's been a real trend in the last few years of the very rich who seem to have "done everything" wanting the next big experience. Sadly I think at some point we are going to have a repeat of this tragedy, but next time it will be in space.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I think "tombstoning" as it got labelled is another interesting comparison.
A bunch of working class yoofs indulge in a slightly dangerous activity of jumping off groynes etc mainly to show off to their mates and the press generally slaughters them. A few ultra rich men engage in similar willy waving with tragic consequences and Boris emerges to defend them as heroic explorers.
My sympathies are with their families but they are neither of those things.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I think "tombstoning" as it got labelled is another interesting comparison.
A bunch of working class yoofs indulge in a slightly dangerous activity of jumping off groynes etc mainly to show off to their mates and the press generally slaughters them. A few ultra rich men engage in similar willy waving with tragic consequences and Boris emerges to defend them as heroic explorers.
My sympathies are with their families but they are neither of those things.
Sorry, I missed the point, where does a guy called 'Boris' fit in to this narrative?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
5 meaningless deaths doesn't pass quickly.
Austerity works out about 700 a day, though I'm guessing you weren't after another example of how different deaths get treated.
Also unless you are a friend or family then yes it does pass very quickly.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Exactly. And is it any more 'voyeurism' than walking round and looking, say, at the war graves in Flanders?

Still a damn silly and needless way to die though.
Mrs DiS and I on the way back from a holiday in Italy a few years ago spent a couple of nights in Arras having been pointed towards it by my daughter, who had done the same a year previously. We visited two individual cemeteries where one of us had a relative buried, which was sobering.

and there is a memorial wall in Arras - remarkable - containing the names of over 70,000 soldiers who died in that particular area in just a short period (9 months) who had no known grave. In other words not identified/never found. We both had relatives named on that wall, which made us think of the anguish and sorrow that their families - my great grandparents - must have gone through.

Others have compared the Titanic to Auschwitz visiting. Really? Anything that can remind people of man’s ability to be so, so evil and prevent it happening again has got to be welcomed.

Comparing any of that to people willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money to see something like the Titanic as an “adventure” is ridiculous. All the other things serve some purpose…

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Mrs DiS and I on the way back from a holiday in Italy a few years ago spent a couple of nights in Arras having been pointed towards it by my daughter, who had done the same a year previously. We visited two individual cemeteries where one of us had a relative buried, which was sobering.
.....and thousands of people will have a relative who went down with The Titanic. Agree that £250k and your life were damn silly things to risk for a trip to view The Titanic - but the loss of The Titanic is something which has fascinated Britain for more than a century. Why, I believe someone even made a film about it, which was a runaway success due to thousands - maybe even millions - of would-be voyeurs rushing to see the thrilling spectacle.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
View attachment 162678

All I can say is thank God that Ross was not subjected to the horrors that these hapless souls endured.
I hope that lessons are learned and any future similar explorations are subject to rigorous testing prior to any commercial voyages.
Unlike the millions of hapless souls who‘ve been subjected to, and endured the horrors of his acting over the years.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Great article.

Thanks. Shows what shocking foolhardiness this carbon fibre sub was and frankly what an absolute idiot the CEO was. Sadly his ego took 4 other lives with him, .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Great article.

Thats a fascinating read, thanks for posting.

The outright arrogance of Rush is incredible. His blind faith in a deteriorating carbon fibre hull (as opposed to titanium) to withstand the pressure at those depths, time after time, is just...mindblowing. But it goes beyond arrogance, given the fact he went down with them in a totally uncertified rig.

Its just an incredible tale of tragedy, ego and folly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here